I love his dunks but can Rodney get

CrocShots

Not Minnesota Nice
Reaction score
More than single digits in a game? Or rebound? He is pretty non-existant most of the game/season. Today he had 5 fouls 2 points and no rebounds. I'd rather have Chip play, frankly.

I certainly don't like him playing the #2 spot. He has been a big disappointment, that's for sure.

Hops

What I can not understand is that a guy with such explosive hops does not get more rebounds.

Tough to score when you can't get in any flow at all due to being in foul trouble. Also tough to score from the 2 position when there is no such thing as dribble penetration on your team.

Tough to score when you cant shoot past 5 feet. Tough to score when your 48% from the free throw line.. Tough score when you can dribble the ball.

Guys with his hops should be able to get garbage points around the hoop like a Kenny Battle, Stephen Thompson, Cedric Ceballos all those guys had broke jumpers but learned hom to score using their athletic ability..

Which should say something, considering I've probably watched 15 Gophers games in the last two years.

And this guy is going to get drafted in the first round? Get real!

He did a great job forcing a steal on one play i can remember ... we really need a point guard to free up shots for hoff

Hollins or Chip need to start over Rodney, at least they are an outside threat and they out rebounded him too and didn't foul as much

He doesn't know how to play. Athletic as hell, but not a clue on basketball smarts.

The negative attitude towards Rodney because a silly blog (however, a fun site to read) placed him as the #2 pick after a few good games against cupcakes over a year ago is misguided. Why is that his fault? He's turning into Damien Johnson 2.0, who got a lot of love on this site.

The negative attitude towards Rodney because a silly blog (however, a fun site to read) placed him as the #2 pick after a few good games against cupcakes over a year ago is misguided. Why is that his fault? He's turning into Damien Johnson 2.0, who got a lot of love on this site.

This.

If he was not ever on that website people would have just seen him as a freakish athlete that is a work in progress (he is).

Right now he is not living up to some hype, and Chip is playing at a higher level than was expected....so people come out of the woodwork and claim the one guy is the better player. If you switched their hype everyone would be clamoring for Rodney. If neither had any hype everybody would be clamoring for Rodney.

Relax people. Damian Johnson couldn't shoot as a sophomore either.

Damian Johnson's sophomore stats
7.1 pts 4.7 Rebs 1.3 assts 1.4 TOs

Rodney Williams' Sophomore stats
6.7 pts 3.6 Rebs 1.9 assts 1.6 TOs

Now the ignorant reader would read those stats and claim Johnson was much better....but they would be ignoring the fact that Rodney plays with a lot more talent around him so his points and rebounds naturally are held down because they are going to others.
I would say they are very similar players at this point in Rodney's career. The difference being that if Rodney develops the skillset that Johnson did....he will be a lottery pick.

Never thought of that before. Real good point Rosemountain.

Now the ignorant reader would read those stats and claim Johnson was much better....but they would be ignoring the fact that Rodney plays with a lot more talent around him so his points and rebounds naturally are held down because they are going to others.
I would say they are very similar players at this point in Rodney's career. The difference being that if Rodney develops the skillset that Johnson did....he will be a lottery pick.

That's a fair statistical analysis.

What drives me crazy about Rodney is that he does have freakish talent, but he can't make a simple jump shot, hit the broad side of a barn on a three or make a frickin' free throw. For all the crap Al Nolen took about his three, at least he could make one once in a while. Furthermore, he's not real scrappy. He is so quick, so fast and he doesn't have the basketball skills to use it to produce.

You are right, he will probably improve. But it likely won't be this season. I feel badly for Blake.

Rodney needs to be locked in the gym and forced to shoot 300 3's a day or something.

Focus on him without the basketball and you'll see shooting is not his biggest worry.

Focus on him without the basketball and you'll see shooting is not his biggest worry.

Thats the thing that bothers me the most with him and this team in general. MOVE! set a screen to get people open. Sometimes we do real well, but against real good defensive teams we don't get a lot of separation. Offense is all about spacing. :clap:

I keep forgetting that Rodney is only a sophomore. He is fun to watch when he's on his game as it is. Think how fun he'll be to watch in two years (I don't think Rodney will leave soon).

After the Michigan game I thought he might have found some confidence when he hit those 2 threes. But he's regressed on his shot again AND with Colton playing inside along with the bigs, he won't be getting any post up chances on smaller foes.

What Tubby shoulda done is have Colton AND Ralph go out to the FT Line or beyond and have Rodney post up Moore or Smith, whoever was guarding him.

I hate to say this, but Rodney should be on a short leash now...The Freshmen are going to pass him buy because at least they both have the confidence to look for scoring chances.

After the Michigan game I thought he might have found some confidence when he hit those 2 threes. But he's regressed on his shot again AND with Colton playing inside along with the bigs, he won't be getting any post up chances on smaller foes.

What Tubby shoulda done is have Colton AND Ralph go out to the FT Line or beyond and have Rodney post up Moore or Smith, whoever was guarding him.

I hate to say this, but Rodney should be on a short leash now...The Freshmen are going to pass him buy because at least they both have the confidence to look for scoring chances.

Umm, no. Colton has no business beyond the free throw line.

rodney posting up Moore

Moore is twice as strong so the 2 inches wouldnt matter that much. colt should play the middle of the zone as sampson is slightly better at getting to the corner.

Rodney and Sampson seem to have guarenteed starting assignments?? Recently Sampson has played well, but when he hasn't he still starts.

Wouldnt it make more sense for a freshmen to start alongside Hoff and bring Rodney is for the 2, 3, or 4 spot?

Rodney will be fine he is very talented he will make a great living playing ball while you guys find someone else to blame for us not winning a championship

Question: If you had one scholarship to give (forget position need) and it was between Rodney-who you hopefully will get two great years out of - or Blake where you will get 4 pretty productive years out of - who would you take?

And, if you had to face either player on another team who would you rather have to play against - Blake or Rodney?

Question: If you had one scholarship to give (forget position need) and it was between Rodney-who you hopefully will get two great years out of - or Blake where you will get 4 pretty productive years out of - who would you take?

And, if you had to face either player on another team who would you rather have to play against - Blake or Rodney?

Why would you only get 2 years out of Rodney?

It completely depends on who you already have on your team if you are going to get 4 years out of both guys...if you are only getting 2 out of Rodney for some reason you obviously would take Hoffarber.
Why would you only get 2 years out of Rodney? Why are blakes (sophomore) 6.4, 2.7, and 1.3 that much better than Williams' (sophomore) 6.7, 3.4, and 1.9?

Why would you only get 2 years out of Rodney?

It completely depends on who you already have on your team if you are going to get 4 years out of both guys...if you are only getting 2 out of Rodney for some reason you obviously would take Hoffarber.
Why would you only get 2 years out of Rodney? Why are blakes (sophomore) 6.4, 2.7, and 1.3 that much better than Williams' (sophomore) 6.7, 3.4, and 1.9?

I think he's trying to say that Blake has had 4 productive years with the Gophers while Rodney hasn't had any yet, but might have 2 great years coming up. This is obviously flawed... do you think Blake was leading this team in scoring his first 2 years? I doubt Blake had much impact on the team at all his freshman year. As Rosemountain pointed out, Rodney's stats are comparable to and even better than Blake's at this point in time. If it weren't for Rodney being a projected 1st rounder, many people here would be happy with Rodney's production to this point, as several have said before me.

I doubt Blake had much impact on the team at all his freshman year. As Rosemountain pointed out, Rodney's stats are comparable to and even better than Blake's at this point in time.
Actually Hoffarber did make an impact his freshman year. He averaged 8 pts/game, 3 rebs, and shot 43% from 3 in 20 min/game. That's a solid contribution in my opinion.

Regarding their career stats at this point, Blake's are more solid. He had a sophomore slump (where his numbers are almost identical to Rodney's), but his freshman year was more productive than Rodney's freshman year of 4 pts/2 rebs.

Top Bottom