Shurna out with concussion

Suspend him

Carmody should be suspended, at least. No way Shurna should have been on the floor after the injury.

This gets a big WTF from me.

He got NW to beat IU at home earlier this year, then got a contract extension immediately afterward. I'm not sure the board of trustees understands that Indiana these days isn't REALLY Indiana.

I think you guys are reaching a bit. This is not Leach-like unless someone can prove he knew Shurna had a concussion and played him anyway. On the BTN they indicated the U doctors worked on him, so they may not be blameless in this. Certainly it's not shocking he had a concussion given how hard he hit his head, but if they gave him the standard tests in the locker room and he didn't have symptoms, how is that Carmody's fault?

As long as NW, iowa, indiana, psu, and mich don't change coaches we always will have a great chance to finish in the upper part of the Big ten.

Shurna is not "out" for anything yet.

What I don't understand is how he could get cleared during the game, then the next morning team doctors find out he had a concussion. How could the doctor find that out the morning after?

I think you guys are reaching a bit. This is not Leach-like unless someone can prove he knew Shurna had a concussion and played him anyway. On the BTN they indicated the U doctors worked on him, so they may not be blameless in this. Certainly it's not shocking he had a concussion given how hard he hit his head, but if they gave him the standard tests in the locker room and he didn't have symptoms, how is that Carmody's fault?

He broke his face on the basket support. Multiple people here said they saw his eyes rolling back in his head. Common sense should dictate they keep him out of the came. Carmody doesn't have a clue how to handle injured players.

He broke his face on the basket support. Multiple people here said they saw his eyes rolling back in his head. Common sense should dictate they keep him out of the came. Carmody doesn't have a clue how to handle injured players.

I'm not saying someone didn't F up. I'm just saying laying it all at the feet of the HC is a bit of a reach. What about the doctors who examined him (whether MN or NW) what about the trainers, the assistant coaches? I realize it's not a football team, and impossible for him to keep track of, but he still has to rely on the what the trainers/doctors say.

With what we know, I have to presume that Carmody only allowed Shurna on the floor because the doctor(s) said he was clear to play. I agree though that it is strange that the concussion was diagnosed after the game. Perhaps he started to show symptoms outside of stupidly fouling Iverson 30 feet from the basket.

Thoughts...1) The Doctor's are the one's who give the green/red light to the coach. If they said he could play & Coach was trying to win the game, then he plays. 2) A concussion is not like a broken arm where it's black & white in an x-ray. It's a gray area, especially a "mild concussion" which COULD mean he simply had a head ache the next day. Yes, in some cases where vomiting occurs or eyeballs are dilated & can not "track" it's easier than in other cases. 10 doctors can look at the same guy with a "mild concussion" & 5 could say "yes" it's a concussion & 5 could say "no" it's not. 3) The coach should have been watching him for behavioral changes (although matching up against Trevor can change anyone's normal behavior) & yanked him when he saw something was off.

He did look completely out of it in the 2nd half yesterday; his positioning, some of his fouls (Iverson 35 ft from the basket?!)...you could tell something was off.

The radio guys IMMEDIATELY said they thought he had a concussion, and said they thought he was done for the night.

It was clear to all that when he returned to the game, he was dazed. He should have been pulled immediately once that was evident. On the HC in my opinion.

Now I feel like a jack-ass (not really, but kinda). When he fouled Iverson 35 feet from the basket I hollered that I thought he was supposed to be smart because he got into NW, and that somebody should check him for a concussion.

Tough kid. Hope he's allright.

WCCO 830Am

WCCO 830Am radio crew, after seeing the replay described the collision as "car wreck like whiplash". Going on to say they did not think he would be back adding later that he was not on the bench.

If you watched him after the game ended, he looked very strange. He was just kind of wandering around with his head down, and he looked very dazed. At the time, I thought he was just extremely disappointed about the loss, but I'm guessing the concussion factored in as well.

The really odd point is that Carmody left him in till the game ended. It was pretty much over for the last 5 minutes and completely over the last minute and yet they kept him in. Remember too he is playing with a sprained ankle that requires him to wear a boot when not playing.

The really odd point is that Carmody left him in till the game ended. It was pretty much over for the last 5 minutes and completely over the last minute and yet they kept him in. Remember too he is playing with a sprained ankle that requires him to wear a boot when not playing.

That whole ending was odd. They kept fouling down ten with about twenty seconds to go. Just strange.

Who sponsored that thought?

LOL.

I know you were kind of joking, but they actually did have a personal injury lawyer sponsor the injuries on the field during football broadcasts.

Carmody

Carmody is the Head Coach. He bears responsibility. If you recall, Shurna took another hard fall near the end of the game but he managed to protect his head from the floor with his arm.

A second head crash could have been a very serious matter. Carmody blew it no matter what the doctors told him.

IMHO.

Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
Who sponsored that thought?

I am certain it was Washburn-McReavy.

It's 100% on the trainers. As Costa Rica said, they give him the green or red light. That's how it works in college or pro (or high school for that matter). If a trainer says he has a concussion, he's done for the night.

I don't think it's that uncommon for a mild concussion to not have any symptoms during the game, but wake up with a headache the next morning or maybe even have a couple more symptoms (loss of balance, coordination, etc.).

When they suspect a concussion, there are a lot of tests they administer and I would guess he passed them all for him to get back in. If he passed every test, no one is at fault here (coach or athletic trainers).

Top Bottom