Tubby: Gophers "desperately" need practice facility to stay competitive in recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Tubby: Gophers "desperately" need practice facility to stay competitive in recruiting

Tubby is on with PA this morning, I didn't hear the segment (I'm sure it will be podcast soon) but KFAN tweeted this from the interview:

"Tubby Smith says the Gophers "desperately" need a practice facility in order to stay competitive in the recruiting world."

Go Gophers!!

Subtle hint as to why Tubby's contract extension is gathering dust on some U Lawyer's desk?

I'm way behind in this entire story, so sorry if it's been addressed, but where would they build it if they got the approval?

KFAN

Tubby is on with PA this morning, I didn't hear the segment (I'm sure it will be podcast soon) but KFAN tweeted this from the interview:

"Tubby Smith says the Gophers "desperately" need a practice facility in order to stay competitive in the recruiting world."

Go Gophers!!

Not as desperately as we need a sports station and commentators than know and respect Gopher athletics

How much longer can the U keep Tubby here? Get it done for crying out loud! Tubby and his family love the Twin Cities, give him a reason to stick around!

Go Gophers!!

Hate to get sucked into the arms race, but it's hard to argue with Smith.

It's almost sort of the same situation with my 7th grade daughter. We don't have a health club membership, and the janitors at her school won't let anybody into the gym without a coach or teacher present. How is she supposed to improve her basic skills on only one organized practice a week?

Not as desperately as we need a sports station and commentators than know and respect Gopher athletics
OMG, is this all people do around here? Feel sorry for themselves as fans because the Gophers don't get as much exposure from ESPN, KFAN, etc.? Get over it people. The Gophers don't have a relevant sport right now. Hoops is close but their season has been so controversy filled it really isn't even funny.

If you want to hear the U get exposure and love, turn the dial over to CCO and listen Sid. Otherwise, quit the "no one cares about the Gophers" saga. It gets old.

Hate to get sucked into the arms race, but it's hard to argue with Smith.

It's almost sort of the same situation with my 7th grade daughter. We don't have a health club membership, and the janitors at her school won't let anybody into the gym without a coach or teacher present. How is she supposed to improve her basic skills on only one organized practice a week?

Yeah, even Nebraska's getting one, so that tells you the value of a practice facility lol.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe so, maybe not but it took UK quite a while to build one. Tubby's friend (from Tulsa) and UK alum Joe Craft put it over the top with $3 million donation.

I don't expect to see Gophers build one before Tubby retires. The new football stadium took a lot of $ to build.

Maybe so, maybe not but it took UK quite a while to build one. Tubby's friend (from Tulsa) and UK alum Joe Craft put it over the top with $3 million donation.

I don't expect to see Gophers build one before Tubby retires. The new football stadium took a lot of $ to build.

Trying to raise money for the baseball stadium at the same time probably isn't helping things.

Go Gophers!!

Not sold on the "need" of a practice facility to "stay competitive in the recruiting world". Sounds like excuses.

How did White, Williams, Colt, RS, the departed Mr Joseph ever sign here without a practice facility?

Taxpayer $$ should not be used.

And interesting concern considering they are raising the money from donors.

They should raise what they can from donors. But I see no issue slipping $20 million or so in funds for the Practice Facility and the Baseball stadium into the Vikings stadium bill (it would be a minor add-on). Why is OK for the state to fund a large part of a new football stadium that includes great facilities for the team, but it's not OK to fund a practice facility that will be attached to the existing facility?

If we wait for dithering Joel and Co. to raise the funds, we'll get a baseball stadium around 2020 and a practice facility around 2030.

The public.

They have facilites.

Do you understand the financial trouble the state is in right now?

Do you understand that we elect our legislators to be able to deal with more then one thing at a time? They have a core budget issue involving main government revenues and expenditures that they must deal with. That does not mean that everything that goes on outside of these core areas must cease while they deal with it. While TCF did actually spend General Fund money, no Vikings stadium bill willtake money from the GF and no assistance for any other U Facilities likely would either. If they want to put slots at MOA to pay for the Vikings stadium and give the U a little of it for these two projects, why would that be a bad thing?

I don't think we can underestimate how important this issue is to the future of the basketball program. We have a fallen behind from a facilities stand point. We have an AD who seems to be more concerned about being marginal across the board rather than make tough decisions and set priorities. Budgets are not going to become more friendly. What are our priorities- what programs should we invest in? While ignoring uncomfortable and questionable coaching situations in the golf and woman's bball program he also fails to properly commit to what (IMHO) should be our flagship programs. Hell, California is very close to dropping baseball (http://ballparkdigest.com/201101263...news/cal-baseball-enters-final-season-maybe)- are we thinking about this?

Who should pay for the facilities at a PUBLIC school?

Little do most know, even though U of Mn is a public school, only 20-30% of the funds that operate it are publicly funded (state funds). Now on the other hand, MNSCU schools are 100% publicly funded.

Little do most know, even though U of Mn is a public school, only 20-30% of the funds that operate it are publicly funded (state funds). Now on the other hand, MNSCU schools are 100% publicly funded.

False. I am assuming tuition is not free there.

And interesting concern considering they are raising the money from donors.

Can you tell us what operating costs wil be for the taxpayer?

How about annual maintenance costs?

There is much more to a facility than the initial costs.

Do you understand that we elect our legislators to be able to deal with more then one thing at a time? They have a core budget issue involving main government revenues and expenditures that they must deal with. That does not mean that everything that goes on outside of these core areas must cease while they deal with it. While TCF did actually spend General Fund money, no Vikings stadium bill willtake money from the GF and no assistance for any other U Facilities likely would either. If they want to put slots at MOA to pay for the Vikings stadium and give the U a little of it for these two projects, why would that be a bad thing?

Probably wouldnt be a bad thing, especially for Wilf.

If they put slots anywhere, why in the world should the Vikings benefit>??????? They are a privately held company. Unless, of course zygi would share the profits with the taxpayer?

The point is there may be higher priorities than funding a practice facility.

Can you tell us what operating costs wil be for the taxpayer?

How about annual maintenance costs?

There is much more to a facility than the initial costs.

Since those things get paid with athletic department revenues (which come from things like ticket sales, etc) my guess would be in the realm of slim to none.

The fact is that the athletic department is not being subsidized by the state. This is the same crazy freakout that happened when the FB team wore white helmets for 2 weeks and some folks kept screaming "ZOMG, why are my tax dollars paying for ugly helmets?!?"

The public.

They have facilites.

Do you understand the financial trouble the state is in right now?

The public is the taxpayers.

So a road should never be rebuilt because one is already there?

Do you understand the role that a money making sport (football, basketball and hockey) play in the larger athletic funding issues?

trim non-revenue sports

Roundfrog hit the nail on the head, the issue isn't with public money being spent, its with utilization of the public money we already have. For years, the U has waaay overfunded non-revenue sports while they consistently lose millions of dollars. Even the U of M women's basketball team lost millions in the last few years. I'm not calling to cut funding to them, but its an example. They are not a revenue generating team and have a negative net impact. There are numerous sports that receive significantly more funding than deserved at a significant negative cost (golf, gymnastics, baseball and imo rowing should be trimmed). The U's hands are tied in some regard due to issues with Title IX and the requirements to provide equal scholarships and in some regard funding as well to both women's and mens teams, and the football team adds a disproportionate amount of scholarships. Therefore, we have programs like rowing getting millions through scholarships and additional funding of completely undeserved funds. Please don't take this is as a sexist argument whatsoever, it is simply making a point that our revenue sports are severely hampered by the amount of non-revenue sports the U funds. The basketball team and football team are the only reason those other sports can exist and fund them almost exclusively. In fact, most athletic departments across the nation are now losing money and it almost always comes down to a question of how much money our revenue teams can make in order to fund our non-revenue teams.

You have two decisions, accept mediocre revenue teams by failing to properly fund them, which in turn forces you to cut non-revenue teams for lack of funds as well. Or properly fund the revenue teams and generate additional income you can use to assist non-revenue teams. That was a huge decision in building the new stadium and a positive sign. The answer is not to ask for additional public funds, but to manage the funds you have like a proper business. Either way, non-revenue sports have to be trimmed/cut.

You don't have to cut non-revenue sports to make it work. There are many athletic departments with the same number/more sports than MN. And not all of them are the OSU's of the world. If we're being accurate, the U has funded non-revenue sports at a level that is consistent with other comparable BCS level universities.

The U's problem with the Big 3 isn't solely a money issue. Throwing money at the football program doesn't result in wins just because. I'm not saying the savings couldn't be helpful. But to pretend that simply cutting non-rev sports will solve the issue isn't a very helpful or accurate position to take.

There are also other options available. For instance, let the dept keep the proceeds from gameday parking (something most other universities do).

Top Bottom