Rodney's dunk

bga1

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed but that 1st half dunk might be the best in game dunk I've ever seen in my life. Amazing.

Nice game tonight against a really tough opponent to play in your first game without your point guard. Tubby made some nice adjustments and there were a lot of good contributions. A very nice step forward by Hollins who hada beauty of a baseline reverse layup and also a real nice baseline jumper. Nice win!

Yeah.. I didn't see the game (was working) but man.. Where did Hollins come from!? That was a BEAUTIFUL baseline layup by him.. I had to replay that twice.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but that 1st half dunk might be the best in game dunk I've ever seen in my life. Amazing.

Sitting in the student section and getting a good look at the dunk, I can almost guarantee you that was Rodney's best in game dunk. The Barn was hoppin'

Nice thread starter, bga
I agree - that was amazing, and it was fun to see him call for the ball and launch toward the rim.

Agreed also that Tubby made good adjustments. I commented at the beginning of the second half that NU wouldn't be able to keep up their game plan w/o foul trouble if we got aggressive, and they racked up 4 fouls on two possessions and on it went.

I wondered if Chip had coached Hollins with the reverse.

All and all, a very big win, bigger than they will get credit for. It tells us they will not roll over and die. In some ways I suspect this is where Tubby shines - in finding a way to win. I was thoroughly entertained.
Another interesting moment was the non-foul called on Iverson. As the refs were checking for a flagrant (elbow), my phone buzzed from one of my sons, letting us know that the replay showed that Colt hadn't touched him. After the play, the NU player plead his case w/the ref, gesturing his elbow, proving himself both a faker, and a liar. Anyone remember who he was?

Another interesting moment was the non-foul called on Iverson. As the refs were checking for a flagrant (elbow), my phone buzzed from one of my sons, letting us know that the replay showed that Colt hadn't touched him. After the play, the NU player plead his case w/the ref, gesturing his elbow, proving himself both a faker, and a liar. Anyone remember who he was?

I want to say it was Curletti. Yeah, the refs definitely picked up on that and IIRC they called him for a pretty sketchy loose ball foul the very next possession that put us in the bonus. Gotta love the make up calls.

I want to say it was Curletti. Yeah, the refs definitely picked up on that and IIRC they called him for a pretty sketchy loose ball foul the very next possession that put us in the bonus. Gotta love the make up calls.
Thanks, and it is nice to note he was the first to foul out of the game

Thanks, and it is nice to note he was the first to foul out of the game

On another questionable call. Ha! Serves him right!

Colt was asked by Tollackson in the post-game interview about it and Colt handled it well - didn't rip on the refs. (Probably easier to do after a win.)

#2 play on SportsCenter

I just saw Rodney's dunk was the #2 play on SportsCenter. The students were rocking after the throwdown, but it was hard to gauge if the rest of the crowd gave it enough appreciation while watching on TV.

It was the best in game dunk by a Gopher since Sam had a skying one handed tomahawk versus Purdue. I think that was shortly before he came down with Nintendo-back. I'd love to see a clip of that if someone knows where to find it.

I just saw Rodney's dunk was the #2 play on SportsCenter. The students were rocking after the throwdown, but it was hard to gauge if the rest of the crowd gave it enough appreciation on TV.

We did. Actually, I don't think you'll get one of those "the old people are the worst fans in the history of college basketball" threads for this one. Pretty good atmosphere. Students were fantastic.

I just saw Rodney's dunk was the #2 play on SportsCenter. The students were rocking after the throwdown, but it was hard to gauge if the rest of the crowd gave it enough appreciation while watching on TV.

It was the best in game dunk by a Gopher since Sam had a skying one handed tomahawk versus Purdue. I think that was shortly before he came down with Nintendo-back. I'd love to see a clip of that if someone knows where to find it.

Pretty sure it was vs. Iowa, I think. The game where the announcer called him the "Jewish Jordan", despite Sam not being Jewish.

Nice thread starter, bga
I agree - that was amazing, and it was fun to see him call for the ball and launch toward the ri

Was going to post this myself. One of the worst non call-then foul I've seen. Colt was clobbered on the rebound(no call), then bogus call on Colt followed by replay to see if it was intentional/flagrant. Total BS.

Maybe with the refs checking the replay they realized it wasn't even a foul. A great example of Colt getting too many 'perception fouls'.

As soon as Rodney made that dunk I thought it was his best to date.

Go Gophers.

Edit: Forgot to give credit to Northwester player(?) for a 'good' flop.

Edit: Forgot to give credit to Northwester player(?) for a 'good' flop.

No it wasn't. That's what made the call so brutal. He even snapped his head back a second time which on the replay is comical.

Sam had a great baseline drive dunk vs. Iowa as a freshmen. He had another incredible dunk in an NIT game at Madison Square Garden against Penn State? as an upper classman.

How 'bout the quick putback throwdown by Williams at the end of the first half off of Hoffarber's miss. It didn't count, but made me ooh and aah, nonetheless.

How 'bout the quick putback throwdown by Williams at the end of the first half off of Hoffarber's miss. It didn't count, but made me ooh and aah, nonetheless.

That was almost as ridiculous as the first one.

It made Gus go bananas.

That was easily Rodney's best dunk of the season and I'll tell you why.. when watching the replay, look to see how fast he catches the ball and gets into the lane. It was great to see Rodney move so quickly with the ball, and being decisive... not even to mention that he took off outside of the paint up towards the elbow!

The other dunk that immediately comes to mind was Rodney's baseline dunk against Indiana where he skied over two players, it's easy to see during these types of plays why NBA scouts want him to be a lottery talent so badly. Please Rodney, stay at least one more year!

-GopherHoopsFan

That was easily Rodney's best dunk of the season and I'll tell you why.. when watching the replay, look to see how fast he catches the ball and gets into the lane. It was great to see Rodney move so quickly with the ball, and being decisive... not even to mention that he took off outside of the paint up towards the elbow!

The other dunk that immediately comes to mind was Rodney's baseline dunk against Indiana where he skied over two players, it's easy to see during these types of plays why NBA scouts want him to be a lottery talent so badly. Please Rodney, stay at least one more year!

-GopherHoopsFan

Rodney still needs TONS of work on his shooting and ball handling. At the present time the NBA should not even be on his radar.

Didn't Rodney have a 360 dunk in a game last year? He never ceases to amaze. I was watching the game with a friend of mine who had never seen him play and he was amazed

It made Gus go bananas.

it was fun watching the game and listening to Gus. There were a couple "Gus Johnson moments" there for the next commercial.

I watched the half-time show in 2x speed on the DVR and if I wouldn't have known the score I would have thought the Gophers were up by 20. lots of spectacular hilight reels plays from the Gophs, nothing but jump shots from the Cats.

it was fun watching the game and listening to Gus. There were a couple "Gus Johnson moments" there for the next commercial.

That, I thought, was the funniest thing about Rodney's dunk. He exploded so quickly that all Gus could get out was Ohhhhh! Not his usual OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It deserved to get it's spot on the top 10 last night.

I would say it was his best dunk so far, at least among the ones I've seen in person. The video doesn't do justice to how far away he took off from and how high he got. Plus it was over two defenders and he finished through contact. When I see a dunk like that I start to understand the NBA talk around him, if he ever gets the other parts of his game even remotely polished he's going to be a very special player.

not sure if you're thinking of the same dunk but sam had one in transition against iowa where he took off from just inside the freethrow line, sailed through defenders, and dunked. clark kellogg was speechless for once and just helped yelling "sam! oooh sam!" above the din at the barn. killer.

Rodney still needs TONS of work on his shooting and ball handling. At the present time the NBA should not even be on his radar.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, some NBA scouts have him projected as a late first round pick and it's tough to give up that opportunity. He absolutely needs a ton of work to become a complete basketball player, but the NBA is willing to draft solely on athletic ability.. just look at Hasheem Thabeet.. I hope that doesn't happen to Rodney.

-GopherHoopsFan

Top Bottom