Reusse STrib column: Northwestern loss is the latest chapter in brutal hoops history

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pat sometimes writes a first edition and late edition column so I'm not sure if he'll update this column later on tonight, so I'm going to copy and paste it in case he does:

Northwestern loss is the latest chapter in a brutal hoops history

Northwestern was the host for the first-ever NCAA title game in 1939. The Final Four also was played in the Wildcats' arena in 1956. What makes that interesting is that Northwestern has never made the NCAA field in the 72 years of the men's tournament.

The Wildcats last won a Big Ten title in 1933. They have finished in the top three twice since World War II -- and most recently in 1968. This actually has been a period of glory for Northwestern basketball, with two consecutive berths in the NIT.

One problem with the Wildcats has been transfers. They get some talent, but before the 'Cats can claw out of the hole, the player gets tired of losing and bails.

The most famous of the transfers was Rex Walters. The guard played two seasons for the Wildcats from 1988 to 1990, Northwestern went 2-16 in the Big Ten both years and he transferred to Kansas. Walters was a tremendous player there and then spent eight seasons in the NBA.

There was a thought at Northwestern that this could be a season to win half of its Big Ten games and squeeze into what will be the NCAA's largest-yet 68-team bracket. A share of this optimism was based on the return of Kevin Coble, a 6-8 senior, from a broken foot.

And then in July, it was announced that Coble had decided to forego basketball. Coach Bill Carmody said in confirming Coble's decision:

"He came into my office yesterday and told me had decided not to play. I wasn't stunned. He wants to finish his courses and move on from there.''

Northwestern came into Williams Arena at 3-5 in the Big Ten -- downright sparkling by its historical standards. On closer inspection, the victories came against Indiana, Iowa and Michigan, previously strong programs now in woeful condition.

On Sunday, the Wildcats went to Madison and lost 78-46 to Wisconsin. They demonstrated that same talent level during the first 15 minutes Wednesday. The Gophers were engaged in a dunk-a-thon and led 29-16 when Carmody called a timeout.

Suddenly, the Gophers found the Northwestern zone tougher than calculus, and the Wildcats scored 11 points in a row.

Unbelievably, it was a ballgame. And it was happening even as Northwestern's John Shurna and his 19.2 points per game went to the locker room with a face full of blood. Shurna crashed into the basket stanchion during a scrum under the 'Cats basket with three minutes left in the half.

Carmody waved his right arm in unhappiness as the trainers left with Shurna. And still the Gophers floundered. Alex Marcotullio hit a three to give Northwestern a 34-33 lead at halftime.

There was a halftime ceremony to honor Chuck Mencel, a Gophers star from 1953 through 1955. Mencel was given a banner with his No. 30 on the west wall, to go with previously honored Gophers: Trent Tucker, Kevin McHale, Jim Brewer, Lou Hudson, Mychal Thompson and Whitey Skoog.

Tubby Smith had asked to start the brief event with a few remarks. The Gophers coach clearly was rattled and wanted to get to the home locker room to chew on his athletes.

"We're hoping to get back in the game in the second half,'' Smith told the crowd, and a few seconds later said to Mencel: "We could use a jump shooter like you tonight.''

The Gophers were without point guard Al Nolen and played an outstanding second half in clobbering Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday. Two days later, they found out Nolen was headed for foot surgery and Smith needed to make long-term arrangements at the point.

Smith went with all the upperclassmen -- Blake Hoffarber (point) and Rodney Williams in the backcourt, and the size of Trevor Mbakwe, Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson III up front -- as his starters.

The freshmen guards, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin and Austin Hollins, played only 19 of the available 100 minutes in the first half and totaled two points.

Tubby didn't want his team to take jump shots in the second half but to take advantage of his team's size and strength down low. Iverson had 11 points in the first five minutes, and the Gophers pulled away to an 81-70 win -- as Big Ten teams have doing to Northwestern for over six decades.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...qyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUss

Go Gophers!!

Way to do your homework, Reusse. The Badgers went to Evanston and won 78-46, it didn't happen in Madison.

Ever since I can remember.

Really? You think a sophomore is an upper classmen? I know you've been following sports and I enjoy your posts, but a sophomore has never been considered an upper classmen.

Really? You think a sophomore is an upper classmen? I know you've been following sports and I enjoy your posts, but a sophomore has never been considered an upper classmen.

Maybe it would be incorrect but many people used to refer to sophs are upperclassmen. I actually always thought it was strange. Maybe it's just me and Patrick.:cool02:

Slip-up with the cats playing at home against sconny is noteworthy. Article is still dec, even though we've heard about the horrible history of northwestern for about 3 years straight now.

Of all the great storylines this game presented, Patrick chose to dive into unchartered territory by covering ground no one knew about....Northwestern basketball hasn't been very good over the years. Never mind the nearly endless topics that would actually have been interesting to his Minnesota-based readers...you know something that might relate to the Gophers and what's going on with the hometown program:

--How about Nolen having surgery that day and being on the bench that night?
--How about playing all three bigs together for the first time all year?
--How about Blake playing point guard?
--How about Colton Iverson's 2nd half performance?
--How about a rare four-game Big Ten winning streak?
--How about playing a 2-3 zone all game?
--How about doing it with 8 scholarship players and what it means the rest of the year?

This column is a clear example of the age-old strategy that old, savvied (and lazy) veteran columnists employ.

Write most of the column the afternoon of a night game. I promise you that Patrick had the first ten paragraphs of that thing written before tipoff. He added the final 6-7 paragraphs as the game was unfolding to try the best he could to tie the action into the piece, and boom, he has his column and off he goes. Quick, easy, and lazy.

Diving into some of the other topics might have required some creativity, some extra work, some tight deadline-writing, and effort. Can't have that.

I don't mind Patrick, but this was definitely a "mailed in" piece. Can't argue with the fact that not much effort was put into it. As you pointed out, there are plenty of more interesting angles he could have taken. I would have taken the "8 scholarship players" or "4 Big Ten wins in a row" angle. It's not like the Gophers win 4 Big Ten games in a row very often.

Maybe it would be incorrect but many people used to refer to sophs are upperclassmen. I actually always thought it was strange. Maybe it's just me and Patrick.:cool02:

In basketball, sophomores are upperclassmen;)

Of all the great storylines this game presented, Patrick chose to dive into unchartered territory by covering ground no one knew about....Northwestern basketball hasn't been very good over the years. Never mind the nearly endless topics that would actually have been interesting to his Minnesota-based readers...you know something that might relate to the Gophers and what's going on with the hometown program:

--How about Nolen having surgery that day and being on the bench that night?
--How about playing all three bigs together for the first time all year?
--How about Blake playing point guard?
--How about Colton Iverson's 2nd half performance?
--How about a rare four-game Big Ten winning streak?
--How about playing a 2-3 zone all game?
--How about doing it with 8 scholarship players and what it means the rest of the year?

This column is a clear example of the age-old strategy that old, savvied (and lazy) veteran columnists employ.

Write most of the column the afternoon of a night game. I promise you that Patrick had the first ten paragraphs of that thing written before tipoff. He added the final 6-7 paragraphs as the game was unfolding to try the best he could to tie the action into the piece, and boom, he has his column and off he goes. Quick, easy, and lazy.

Diving into some of the other topics might have required some creativity, some extra work, some tight deadline-writing, and effort. Can't have that.

Yes, he did have this version largely written before the game. It's called having a version written for first additions that you have to have largely done before the game ends. If you actually look, you will see that he has a second story posted that is much more about the game itself. It addresses many of the things you're ripping him for. Give Patrick a break when he's earned it.

Yes, he did have this version largely written before the game. It's called having a version written for first additions that you have to have largely done before the game ends. If you actually look, you will see that he has a second story posted that is much more about the game itself. It addresses many of the things you're ripping him for. Give Patrick a break when he's earned it.

I stand corrected. Good for Pat. That updated piece was much better. I apologize to Patrick for jumping the gun on him.

Considering 10 days ago he was on the radio telling Minnesota how bad the gophers coaching was I would consider this a very positive article

Top Bottom