Assuming Mbakwe comes back…

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Is he a big ten poy candidate next year?
I think yes.

What about national poy?

Nope. Sullinger probably won't get it this year, and Mbakwe won't reach his level. I've heard Sullinger plans to play 2 years too.

Big Ten POY, good chance (if he stays). Can't think of another player that would be better next year, except Sullinger

I think he'll have a hard time putting up the stats to garner much attention. He'll still be splitting time with RSIII, Colt and Mo.

Im not seeing him listed in any 2011 draft projections. I think he should come back but he may be ready to move on. If he comes back we will be incredibly deep with big men next year.

Im not seeing him listed in any 2011 draft projections. I think he should come back but he may be ready to move on. If he comes back we will be incredibly deep with big men next year.

I think he has to work on his jump shots. He made a few a game or two ago from the free throw area. I don't see him as going in the 1st round right now.

I cant see him leaving early, 6 foot 8 bangers are a dime a dozen in the NBA. He is a stud though. Best PF here since McHale. (I consider Humphries a SF)

I've heard rumblings he might go overseas since he has a family to support that is of course just a rumor.

For the record, when Trevor Mbakwe confirmed that he would be playing this year, he said something like "I'm gonna give Gopher fans 2 years of basketball they will never forget." He specifically said 2 years. Whether he sticks to it or not is a different story, but I personally think he will be back next year.

I'm curious as to what most GHers think; what is the % you give on Mbakwe coming back next year?

I am not a homer. I have inside information. Mbakwe's best friends cousins former roommate gave me that number.

His chances of winning awards would go up if he would spend an hour shooting free throws after every practice. If he could ever shoot 75% to 80% he would become a 20 point per game man.

His chances of winning awards would go up if he would spend an hour shooting free throws after every practice. If he could ever shoot 75% to 80% he would become a 20 point per game man.

Seems like you're asking a lot for him to improve that much...

95% he comes back. 3% he is out of school. 2% he is getting paid to play (somewhere besides the U, everyone knows Shaq made all his money in college)

I'm guessing it's closer to a coin flip. If he can get paid well somewhere I think he'll leave. He's not at Minnesota for a Carlson degree... Also remember he's already 22.

I'd say 50/50 at best. As well as he is playing you'd have to say his net experience at the U has probably been frustrating and he may want to move on. While I doubt he would get drafted any higher then late 2nd round, he's also unlikely to improve his draft stock any by playing another year.

Gopherbadgerman,

You consider a guy who is playing power forward in the NBA to have been a small forward in college?

He was the biggest regular starter on that team and the second biggest regular (to Hagen).

I hope he stays....but if I were him I probably leave early. Money is hard to come by. I'm now in my forties and finally make a good living. I will say this; if he stays another year, is injury free.....he's a lottery pick.

It's so nice watching a Gophers squad that has genetic mutants on it for a change. He and Rodney are so gifted physically.

What is the timeline of NBA draftees signing contracts and the lockout that is going to happen next year? I can't imagine a non-lottery pick leaving early just to sit on the sidelines during a lock out.

Top Bottom