Shoutout for Shurna

Reserve

Reaction score
Hey, shoutout for John Shurna for coming back from what looked like a pretty scary injury.

He's showing a lot of heart.

The way he shoots drives me nuts sometimes, but overall I've really enjoyed watching him play over the years.

For sure. He really took one on the chin and bounced right back.

Did it look possible that he might have had a minor concussion or something of that sort? Because at times in the second half, especially when we were shooting late free throws, I noticed him just kind of wandering around the court, and he looked pretty dazed.

Did it look possible that he might have had a minor concussion or something of that sort? Because at times in the second half, especially when we were shooting late free throws, I noticed him just kind of wandering around the court, and he looked pretty dazed.

100%! After he fouled Colt out past the 3 point line for no particular reason his eyes sort of rolled back into his head & I thought he looked like he wanted to throw in the towel, but maybe he just looked dazed & confused. I saw it again after he got tossed aside by Trevor & called for a foul late. His face just looked like he was somewhere else or wanted to be somewhere else.

For sure. He really took one on the chin and bounced right back.

Speaking of taking one on the chin. Did anyone notice Trevor's block immediately after Shurna fell? Sampson was called for a foul, but Trevor blocked the shot so hard back into the opponents face that he was pretty dazed for a moment.

1. Shurna looks and plays like a Canadian high school player yet is somehow effective. Ryeguy what could have been!
2. Carmody should be fired for keeping Shurna in the game until the end. The guy is playing on a bad ankle and took a serious head shot. Maybe Coble was right for fearing for his health.
3. Carmody is below 500 after 8 years and no NCAA bid. Perhaps no easier BCS job than NU basketball caoch.
4. God Carmody looks like Conan O'Brian.

Not sure about a concusion but I bet he has one large headache today and a very stiff neck.

3. Carmody is below 500 after 8 years and no NCAA bid. Perhaps no easier BCS job than NU basketball caoch.

You do realize that Northwestern has NEVER made the NCAA tournament, right? Carmody has them playing at a more competitive level than they've displayed in decades. He's doing a good job, it's a tough place to coach.

I can't imagine what Shurna's chin, jaw, and head would have felt like after the local that they would have used to sew up his chin wore off. The kid is tough. His head must have been throbbing.

Ditto what Nate said. Northwestern would be freaking nuts to fire Carmody.

I stand corrected. I knew they had never been to an NCAA but I didn't really know how bad they had been. After looking at the NU basketball wikipedia page, they have been shockingly bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Wildcats_men's_basketball

Hard to believe a team could be last for so many years in a row from the 80s to the 90s. Bill Foster got seven years and only won 13 conference games!

Still think playing Shurna for the final three minutes was completely insane.

The crazy thing is (I had a press pass for a few of the Foster years so I got to see them play quite a bit), the record didn't reflect it but Foster had some competitive teams, certainly at home. They always found a way to lose at the end of tight games. Foster had some good players. ... Kevin Rankin, Rex Walters (before he transferred to Kansas), Cedric Neloms, Todd Leslie and Pat Baldwin. Baldwin, especially, I really respected as a player. Could have played PG for any team in the Big Ten, and that was during the Big Ten's hayday.

Excellent call, son.

Top Bottom