Gophers could take down the #1 team in the nation!

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
In pummeling Purdue tonight, Ohio State cleared its biggest hurdle in remaining the number 1 team in the country up until they play us (they play at NW and vs. Mich between now and then). This means we'll likely have a chance at beating #1! On the other side of things, a loss to the best team in the country doesn't look that bad. I'm excited for the opportunity, and I hope we can stay competitive in the game. I just hope we can take care of business against Northwestern and stay competitive against Purdue before that game rolls around

In pummeling Purdue tonight, Ohio State cleared its biggest hurdle in remaining the number 1 team in the country up until they play us (they play at NW and vs. Mich between now and then). This means we'll likely have a chance at beating #1! On the other side of things, a loss to the best team in the country doesn't look that bad. I'm excited for the opportunity, and I hope we can stay competitive in the game. I just hope we can take care of business against Northwestern and stay competitive against Purdue before that game rolls around

1) Not big news...their biggest hurdle was at IL on Saturday. Purdue couldn't beat us on the road and it wasn't likely to beat #1 on the road. Tell you one thing, though, Northwestern isn't going to roll over at home.

2) Wisconsin fans probably are posting the same thing on their board. Before Nolen got hurt I had been looking forward to this game, seeing for a while it could be a chance to knock off the #1 ranked team (have we ever done that?). Now there's very little chance, and OSU's first loss probably will be at the Kohl Center a few days later.

There's probably a better chance the #1 team in the country takes down the Gophers.

I will add that losing Nolen, while obviously a huge blow, it doesn't kill our chances of upsetting Ohio St, despite what most will say. What would have killed it would be losing Trevor. Our bigs provide a matchup test that Ohio State just doesn't see very often. Nolen is key, but in this game, the bigs and the Barn are key. We have a shot.

All I know is if it's at all close - the Barn will come into play. That place will be rockin'

I will add that losing Nolen, while obviously a huge blow, it doesn't kill our chances of upsetting Ohio St, despite what most will say. What would have killed it would be losing Trevor. Our bigs provide a matchup test that Ohio State just doesn't see very often. Nolen is key, but in this game, the bigs and the Barn are key. We have a shot.

Right Rouser. We can do this. If we take care of business over the next wek and a half by beating NW at home and a truly bad Indiana team on the road then the Ohio State game will be a game where we can just come out loose with nothing to lose and have a decent chance to win. An upset of OSU would give the boys a lot of margin to work with in their quest for a NCAA berth and decent seed.

There's probably a better chance the #1 team in the country takes down the Gophers.

The main point here is we'll get the opportunity to play a #1 at home late'ish in the season.

Anyone want to throw out a stat for the last time that happened?

If they get through Minnesota and wisconsin… they will enter the big ten tourney unbeaten IMO

If they get through Minnesota and wisconsin… they will enter the big ten tourney unbeaten IMO

They still have to travel to West Lafayette. Despite what happened last night I'd rank that as a tougher game than the one at the Barn Superbowl Sunday. That said, I think people will start to ask the legitimate question now of if this team can go undefeated.

Is probably tougher you are right. But if osu shows up purdue can't beat them. I think they are more likely to not come ready to play in one of the two games during the mn-wi stretch than at purdue. They had it dialed in against purdue and I think they will again.

>>Gophers could take down the #1 team in the nation!<<

Why not. We nearly did it on the road. Stranger things have happened.

PS
Bring back Behagen, Nix, and Taylor and seat them behind the Gophers' bench. Maybe Brewer and Winfield, too.

Sheesh people. Can't we just play N'western, Purdue, and Indiana before then and hope we come out of those alive without Nolen? Nope, let's pull a typical Minnesota sports fan move and look far far ahead into the future and get ahead of ourselves instead of just going one game at a time.

I agree with 97alumni though. If it happens, I sure hope The Barn is rockin' and give the boys a chance to win the game.

Sheesh people. Can't we just play N'western, Purdue, and Indiana before then and hope we come out of those alive without Nolen? Nope, let's pull a typical Minnesota sports fan move and look far far ahead into the future and get ahead of ourselves instead of just going one game at a time.

I agree with 97alumni though. If it happens, I sure hope The Barn is rockin' and give the boys a chance to win the game.

The nice thing is that nothing that we say or do on this forum has any bearing on the outcome of the games whatsoever.

Good job in thinking that your mindset influences anything, though.

The nice thing is that nothing that we say or do on this forum has any bearing on the outcome of the games whatsoever.
Good job in thinking that your mindset influences anything, though.

Not sure if everyone believes that though.:cool02:

In pummeling Purdue tonight, Ohio State cleared its biggest hurdle in remaining the number 1 team in the country up until they play us (they play at NW and vs. Mich between now and then). This means we'll likely have a chance at beating #1!
Be careful what you wish for ... :)

Top Bottom