Johnny Woodard

gopherpride32

Reaction score
I was just wondering if we know if Tubby is going after this junior from Duluth? I've heard about him for some time, and it sounds like he already has college size and just read about his game last night vs. Minneapolis North. He scored 41 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks. I know that we have already got Hollins and Coleman who are both shooting guards just like Johnny.

I've only seen him play one time so take it with a grain of salt but he didn't impress me at all. Literally all he did was stand outside the 3 point line, shake and bake a little and throw up a 3 that went in about 1 out of every three times. I don't think he's a high major player.

I've seen him play a couple of times. Good athlete and has some size but is still very raw and unpolished. Across the bridge in Superior however, Senior pg Joel Lindberg should have gotten some attention from Tubby. Committed to NDSU a few months ago, but he is an absolute stud and a natural pg. Has ideal size and can shoot the ball. He received some attention from WI but they chose to offer others. Wish we would have snagged this kid.

Woodard is an athlete, can get to the rim but is not nearly as good as Coleman. Doesn't have a complete game and takes A LOT of shots to put up big numbers. He was also second fiddle last year to Diami Starks (spelling?) and that gave him a lot of easy looks. I saw him play about 10 games last year (I was living in Duluth) and think he could be a really nice mid-major player. He is one of those guys who has the potential to kill a team in the NCAA's if he gets hot and his team is a 14 seed.

He was a huge prospect a couple years ago, it doesn't seem he has improved.

All hearsay, I've only seen him play once. Yes he is a SoupTown'er, not Duluth.

Just read Ryan James tweets, that Vince Taylor is going up to Duluth to watch Johnny work out. Also, Boston College, Green Bay, and St. Louis held workouts with him a couple days ago. And Tennessee and Texas are starting to call him. Seems like Johnny is playing some good ball in AAU, and the colleges are finally starting to know his name.

Another 2 guard?!

We only have Hollins, Coleman, Welch, and Armelin as SG's for now, let's get another one and make it five within a year of each other.

Maybe I'm just stupid here, but I think a true PG is probably the #1 and #2 offers we should be tendering right now...considering we still don't have a viable, true PG on next year's squad. But maybe it's just me...

Ya i completely agree with you, I don't see why we need another 2 guard. I just can't believe how Johnny is rising up the charts this quickly, going from a no name mid major to a possible high major player.

We only have Hollins, Coleman, Welch, and Armelin as SG's for now, let's get another one and make it five within a year of each other.

Welch - Class of 2013
Au. Hollins - Class of 2014
Armelin - Class of 2014
Coleman - Class of 2015
An. Hollins - Class of 2015
Woodard - Class of 2016

Oops.

I've come around on Woodard about 180 degrees in the last year. He's bigger and stronger than Coleman and has a better stroke. He's better than at least half the kids listed there. His defense is just okay but a coach like Tubby would ensure that's not a long term issue.

I've only seen him play one time so take it with a grain of salt but he didn't impress me at all. Literally all he did was stand outside the 3 point line, shake and bake a little and throw up a 3 that went in about 1 out of every three times. I don't think he's a high major player.
1 game is not enough

Woodard

My guess they would offer Joey King and Wally Ellenson before they offer Johnny Woodard, although Johnny has certainly improved and coupled with his athleticism might eventually get an offer. He will, however, have to continue to improve.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess Woodard has a Gopher offer before he starts his senior season.

My guess they would offer Joey King and Wally Ellenson before they offer Johnny Woodard, although Johnny has certainly improved and coupled with his athleticism might eventually get an offer. He will, however, have to continue to improve.

-1. The pecking order if there is one on offers for these three should be; Woodard, Ellenson, King. Here's my rationale;

Woodard is athletic, a very good shooter, a very good finisher, decent handle has nice size for a 2. Those are all his positives. He's an average defender which is a concern.

Ellenson - He's very athletic, nice size and a very good finisher/attacker. His outside shot is inconsistent. Good defender and is a tough kid.

King - good shooter, decent athlete but where does he play? Defensively he can't guard a 3 position he's an average rebounder for his size and much prefers to play near the three point line. He's productive but takes SO many shots in his offense I wonder about his ability to play with skilled players.

Theses things could change after any given tournament, but right now the odds definately favor Woodard. For reasons i can't understand, we are not that high on Ellenson at the moment and while several coaches like King there are still big ?'s with him and I don't see an offer coming for him unless he would blow up at a tourny that Tubby was watching. From the sounds of it, Ellenson is having a great spring and some expect him to pick up alot of interest this summer and my guess is by the time the Gophers decide they like him, it will be too late.

Johnny is going to be in Kansas this weekend, with a strong performance at this high-profile tournament I think a gopher offer is imminent.

Johnny is going to be in Kansas this weekend, with a strong performance at this high-profile tournament I think a gopher offer is imminent.

That would be a mistake. There are enough questions regarding his game to wait until after the July period for an offer. The Jayhawk doesn't attract the top tier teams in the numbers it used so wait until after Vegas etc.

read the write up on the tourney if you cant find I'll send a link later

From the video I saw on Jared Guest, if he can get an offer, and they don't offer Joey King, something is seriously wrong. I've seen King play 5 or 6 times, including his last game at St Olaf last year against Lakeville South when he was going up against two very good players in Richter and Christianson, and I was way more impressed with King than that kid on the video, even though King is two years younger.

Top Bottom