Hoff sliding over to PG

I guess I would think that Chip and Austin will split minutes at SG. Also, I don't really like the lineup with Ralph, Colt, and Trevor all on the floor at one time. While an interesting prospect, they're all the bigs we have, who will sub in for them when they leave the court? I guess they could use this lineup in short bursts.

Without the defections and injuries, we would still have Mo Walker, Devoe Joseph, and Paul Carter among others. Depth would not be nearly the problem it is now. I bet Paul Carter would have made a great senior leader.

DontHassleTheHoff endorses and supports this move. Can't wait to see some nasty crossovers...:D

I kinda thought this might happen (Hoff sliding over to PG), since he closed out the Michigan game at point for us last week (and did well). Actually, I believe Armelin, Ahanmisi, and Hoff combined for 0 turnovers in that game, which is fairly astonishing given they were the primary ball handlers once Nolen went out.

With our 3 bigs starting, I'd guess Mirkovic can forget about scoring much as the interior will be locked down. Once again the perimeter shooting will be the concern. Hopefully NU is shooting cold for several stretches...

No way Tubby can start all three big men. Not sure I like the prospect of Hoffarber doing the bulk of the ball handling either.

Hoff Armalin Williams Sampson and Iverson start

Mbakwe, Hollins, and maverick off the bench.

1) Hoff and Mav
2) Armalin Hoff and Hollins
3) Williams and Hollins
4) Sampson Mbakwe and Williams
5) Samson and Iverson

Not saying I like Armelin or Ahanmesi any better, but I just don't trust Hoffarber with the ball handling. Dude is a shooter and passer, not a ball handler.

I'm not saying he is a PG at all, but please consider these stats:

Assist/TO ratio:

Blake - 83/31 2.68
Dewho - 28/15 1.87
Al - 52/29 1.79
Chip - 14/11 1.27
Mav - 16/20 0.80
Austin - 19/18 1.05

Are you sure Blake is not a good ballhandler?

Assist/TO ratio:

Blake - 83/31 2.68
Dewho - 28/15 1.87
Al - 52/29 1.79
Chip - 14/11 1.27
Mav - 16/20 0.80
Austin - 19/18 1.05

Are you sure Blake is not a good ballhandler?
What position was he playing while accumulating these stats?

What position was he playing while accumulating these stats?

2 guard. I understand your point and it is valid.

But, several poster's opinions notwithstanding, including your own, Blake does just fine handling the ball. Is he a slashing, drive the lane, point guard type? No. He never will be. But he is a very smart player - and an extremely good passer - who won't try to do those things when he plays PG, as he demonstrated on several occasions last year and this year (in limited minutes, he has played PG both years).

Do I think they should give Chip or Mav a chance to win the position? Hell yes. Blake is better suited for 2, as you mention. But the offense *does* run well when Blake is running it, believe it or not. It's just not your traditional drive-and-dish offense. If it runs better when he is at point and we can get some scoring from some of the wings (Rodney? Chip?), then he'll play PG.

And handle the ball well doing it.

I just think that stat would be at least slightly different if he had been playing the 1 position all or most of the season. I'm not saying it won't work. Tubby is smart. He won't do it if he doesn't think it will work or if someone else like Chip or Maverick come in and handle the role better. All I'm saying is it makes me nervous and I don't know how Hoffarber will handle this role for long periods of time.

I just think that stat would be at least slightly different if he had been playing the 1 position all or most of the season. I'm not saying it won't work. Tubby is smart. He won't do it if he doesn't think it will work or if someone else like Chip or Maverick come in and handle the role better. All I'm saying is it makes me nervous and I don't know how Hoffarber will handle this role for long periods of time.

Fair enough.

Honestly, I hope Chip or Mav step up. But if they don't, I have no problem with Blake at point. In limited stints, I think the offense has looked good with Blake running it. But you make a good point about running it for 35 minutes a game. And it simply won't work if we can't get any scoring from Chip, Austin and Rodney.

Blake is a great ballhandler. He can't create off the dribble but he can get the ball up the court and get us into an offensive set.

There's no way Armelin or Maverick are ready to play full time point guard in the Big Ten.

I would anticipate that the Gophers are going to see more pressure defense and see their guards picked up closer to the halfcourt line than they have all season.

It might not happen as much tonight, but we will see it.

The best thing the Gophers have going for them tonight is that they play Northwestern having just played Michigan. While the two teams don't play identical on the defensive end, there are similarities in what Carmody does and with what Beilein does. That should make the game preparation easier.

There is a possibility that one of our three freshman steps up big time. Future NBA point guard Cory Joseph's less skilled older brother wasn't thought of as an all Big Ten Tourny preformer until Nolen was rulled out last year. Nolen is a terrific player, but his game has weaknesses.

With Mav and Hoff we playing 1 and 2 we have two players who can hit the 3. When Chip is in there he can run the break and finish at the rim from the 2. Hollins is quick and has size that can frusterate an opposing guard. He is also a better shooter than his stats indicate.

The game tonight holds a huge opportunity for those guys.

We have no choice but to play Hoff a lot at pg. I hope Chip, Hollins, and Williams can step up their scoring, because it's definitely going to be more difficult for Hoff to score without being able to run around screens as much.

Assist/TO ratio:

Blake - 83/31 2.68
Dewho - 28/15 1.87
Al - 52/29 1.79
Chip - 14/11 1.27
Mav - 16/20 0.80
Austin - 19/18 1.05

Are you sure Blake is not a good ballhandler?[/QUOTE]

yes i am sure he isnt a good ball handler. he will be efficient, he wont do to much. in fact im willing to bet he plays below his ability. blake dribbles way to high, usually above his hips! he also likes to pick his dribble in terrible spots. blake should not be the point guard. we should trust/hope chip and mav can pick up their game. blake needs to continue to be effective off the pass either shooting or this new found talent off the dribble nd pull up.

im tough on blake because i think he is over-rated...by our fanbase anyways. blake is a weapon that i love having on this team, but there is no way blake should take the pg spot. i think it will kill us!

alright now you can all pile on the me because im wrong and your right!

Top Bottom