Pregame Thoughts: Northwestern 1/26/11

Reaction score
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1297

"The #16/#18 Minnesota Golden Gophers (15-4, 4-3) are dealing with another personnel issue, this time the loss of senior point guard Al Nolen (foot). While it’s possible Nolen could return in several weeks, there is also the very real possibility that we have seen the Minnesota native’s final minutes on the court for the Gophers. Nonetheless, the season continues this Wednesday, January 26, when the Northwestern Wildcats (13-6, 3-5) visit Williams Arena for a 7:30pm CT game that will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network. Gus Johnson and former Wildcat Shon Morris will have the call.........."

"I'm looking forward to seeing how creative Tubby is and which kids step up "

This will be the most interesting aspect of the rest of the season. It will be a work in progress and at times maybe a bit painful to watch, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they (Tubby & team) can figure things out. Austin, Chip and Mav have a great opportunity and let's hope they make the best of it. It will be interesting.

BIG

"...after considering various lineups, I can’t find a way to get comfortable with the distribution of minutes without having Sampson, Mbakwe and Iverson on the court together for at least some period of time)."

Now that is BIG.

Cats by two in the Barn ?

GW, how could you?

:(

I think the starting lineup will be the 3 bigs (Sampson, Iverson, Mbakwe), Rodney, and Blake at point guard. That lineup would not give up many rebounds. Could sit in a really nice zone.

I think the starting lineup will be the 3 bigs (Sampson, Iverson, Mbakwe), Rodney, and Blake and point guard. That lineup would not give up many rebounds. Could sit in a really nice zone.

Well, yeah...six guys at a time should make for a really nice zone. Not to mention there should be one guy open on offense all the time, too. :D

Sampson Iverson Mbakwe Williams and Blake is five guys?

Well, yeah...six guys at a time should make for a really nice zone. Not to mention there should be one guy open on offense all the time, too. :D
I thought you had to be able to count to 5 to be in the airforce

I thought you had to be able to count to 5 to be in the airforce

I have to side with chief on this one. I read the comment...

Originally Posted by gophs14
I think the starting lineup will be the 3 bigs (Sampson, Iverson, Mbakwe), Rodney, and Blake and point guard. That lineup would not give up many rebounds. Could sit in a really nice zone.

1. Sampson
2. Colt
3. Trevor
4. RW
5. Blake

and...

6. point guard

Perhaps gophs14 just made a typo and the "and point guard" was meant to be "at point guard"... but it does seem to read 6 guys starting.

Yeah I did i changed to at. I see where he was coming from now

The big question is will Northwestern show up? I watched them tank at Illinois. They gave up. It was so obvious the announcers were commenting on it. I could not watch the Wisconsin game so I do not know if NW gave up in that game also.

I think the Gophers have their backs against the wall. This is like the shaved heads game. They will come out breathing fire and Northwestern will head for the bus long before the final buzzer sounds.

If the Gophers play three bigs, I like Trevor on top of the key intimidating and blocking threes. Trevor was there at the end of the Purdue game and Purdue did not get a good shot. Not sure how the offense will work with three bigs.

The big question is will Northwestern show up? I watched them tank at Illinois. They gave up. It was so obvious the announcers were commenting on it. I could not watch the Wisconsin game so I do not know if NW gave up in that game also.

I think the Gophers have their backs against the wall. This is like the shaved heads game. They will come out breathing fire and Northwestern will head for the bus long before the final buzzer sounds.

If the Gophers play three bigs, I like Trevor on top of the key intimidating and blocking threes. Trevor was there at the end of the Purdue game and Purdue did not get a good shot. Not sure how the offense will work with three bigs.

NW often starts off shooting well.. they did against Wisconsin. But, once there was some separation later in the first half, it was over. They were out of sync and awful the rest of the way. Would be nice to start off strong against them. At 3-5, their backs are truly against the wall.

Ralph is my guy that needs to come through if we have him out there with Trevor and Colton... come out a little and get that 10-15 foot jumper working (but NOT the 21 footer). I would even consider tossing him at the top of a zone, leaving the better rebounding Mbakwe and Iverson closer to the boards... should be fun.

Gotta run, tipoff time.. Marquette vs. #5 UCONN...

Maybe a typo but I like the idea of a box and 2 defense. It might catch on.:cool02:

One glaring problem using the big lineup. NW will sit outside and bomb away from three and with our luck, they'll shoot 23-for 26 from beyond the Arc.

I'd rather go with Armelin at SG and the Hoff running the point. Armelin's defense is the best of the freshman guards.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1297

"The #16/#18 Minnesota Golden Gophers (15-4, 4-3) are dealing with another personnel issue, this time the loss of senior point guard Al Nolen (foot). While it’s possible Nolen could return in several weeks, there is also the very real possibility that we have seen the Minnesota native’s final minutes on the court for the Gophers. Nonetheless, the season continues this Wednesday, January 26, when the Northwestern Wildcats (13-6, 3-5) visit Williams Arena for a 7:30pm CT game that will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network. Gus Johnson and former Wildcat Shon Morris will have the call.........."

Fortunately "Wildcats by 2" you were wrong. Oh ye of little faith.

One glaring problem using the big lineup. NW will sit outside and bomb away from three and with our luck, they'll shoot 23-for 26 from beyond the Arc.

I'd rather go with Armelin at SG and the Hoff running the point. Armelin's defense is the best of the freshman guards.

The big lineup worked pretty well. Trevor, RSIII, and Colt all had very good to great games. Hollins and Hoff were very good at G too.

The big lineup worked pretty well. Trevor, RSIII, and Colt all had very good to great games. Hollins and Hoff were very good at G too.

Boy did they bomb away from outside though.

Top Bottom