Andy Katz' take on Al and Devoe

Good article.

I wonder if Joseph's decision to leave was predicated on the strong possibility that Coach Smith was going to have to suspend him again (possibly for the season) for drug abuse anyway. If that was the case then his departure in mid season was strictly a face saving move, a move that Tubby has too much class to confirm.

Well I do believe Joseph was going to be suspended. The original story that came out was suspension, not transfer. No one knows how long the alleged suspension would have been. If he was going to be suspended for an extended period, then him transferring is inconsequential. If it was for academic reasons, we will never know because he has 2 semesters to get himself eligible again before he can take the court for Oregon.

Great column by Katz. He's gotta be my favorite national reporter this year, mostly because of his great takes on the Gophers. It's truly unfortunate that a national guy like Katz has written more, and more knowledgeably on the Gophers than our hometown media has managed to do.

Well I do believe Joseph was going to be suspended. The original story that came out was suspension, not transfer. No one knows how long the alleged suspension would have been. If he was going to be suspended for an extended period, then him transferring is inconsequential. If it was for academic reasons, we will never know because he has 2 semesters to get himself eligible again before he can take the court for Oregon.

Wasn't he going to be suspended because he blew off practicing after deciding that he was going to quit?

C'mon jmag.

Katz has written more on the Gophers than Myron and Marcus? Really?

C'mon jmag.

Katz has written more on the Gophers than Myron and Marcus? Really?

You're right, of course. Myron and Marcus have obviously written more, and are closer to the team than Katz. My fault was in phrasing it poorly. When I talked about the local media, I was referring to the Souhans, the Reusses, and the local sports talk radio outlets. It's sad that Katz, a national guy, writes more about the Gophers than they do, and with greater accuracy.

Great article! I hope Devoe read this. You know Calipari got into hot water for calling Terrence Jones a selfish m***f***....I couldn't think of a more fitting player for that moniker than Devoe. I wouldn't blame Tubby if he felt that way.

I bet Devoe feels like an idiot now, but the Gophers are going to be better off in the long run without him. Sounded like a typical selfish locker room cancer.

What I heard from a very reliable source was that grades were going to force him to sit - probably for this entire semester.

First off, let me say that I believe Devoe made a poor decision in leaving midway through the season. However, I have 2 things to say.

1. I cannot understand all the "Devoe is a mu***fu*** and an a-hole who got what he deserved, and I hope someone burns his house to the ground" type talk. It's ridiculous. He obviously felt that Tubby's method of coaching was not a good fit for him and he did not want to have to endure another 3 months of doing something that obviously made him unhappy.

2. I am tired of all the people claiming Devoe was suspended for failing multiple drug tests. How the hell do you know? I believe he was suspended for his attitude toward Tubby and the team. Even in Katz' article, Andy talks about Devoe being upset with how Tubby was using him. I believe that Devoe let his emotions get the better of him and that played a big part in his suspension.

mattwa067...How dare you make common sense comments on the GopherHole. You should be banned for that!!! :)

You're right, of course. Myron and Marcus have obviously written more, and are closer to the team than Katz. My fault was in phrasing it poorly. When I talked about the local media, I was referring to the Souhans, the Reusses, and the local sports talk radio outlets. It's sad that Katz, a national guy, writes more about the Gophers than they do, and with greater accuracy.

Beat writers like Marcus and Myron don't quite have the freedom to write opinion pieces like these. While they can interject some of their thoughts from time to time sparingly in their blog, writing a mostly opinion piece like this one isn't in their job description. The columnists like Souhan, Reusse, Blount, et. al have to write pieces like this.

First off, let me say that I believe Devoe made a poor decision in leaving midway through the season. However, I have 2 things to say.

1. I cannot understand all the "Devoe is a mu***fu*** and an a-hole who got what he deserved, and I hope someone burns his house to the ground" type talk. It's ridiculous. He obviously felt that Tubby's method of coaching was not a good fit for him and he did not want to have to endure another 3 months of doing something that obviously made him unhappy.

2. I am tired of all the people claiming Devoe was suspended for failing multiple drug tests. How the hell do you know? I believe he was suspended for his attitude toward Tubby and the team. Even in Katz' article, Andy talks about Devoe being upset with how Tubby was using him. I believe that Devoe let his emotions get the better of him and that played a big part in his suspension.

We don't know either 1 or 2. But we do know this: He left halfway through the year and that's not the right way to do things.

I agree with most of this. It's kinda childish to call him names and such. He made his decision, he has to live with it. Probably best we all just move on. Nobody knows for sure what really happened.

Yes, leaving mid-season was not cool. However, Katz also correctly says what many on here deny....this team misses Devoe. We are not better off without him. I know some are bitter, but name calling, rumor mongering and character assassination is not the answer. Nobody knows what happened here other than it was dumb for him to leave mid-season.

actaully when we had nolen we may have been better off w/o him, but now that al is gone...

Bad chemistry is bad news.

actaully when we had nolen we may have been better off w/o him, but now that al is gone...

I think I'm more in agreement with this. You never know how much the disgruntled undercurrents affected the team. Chemistry is a big element that can't be underplayed. If it wasn't for the maturity of our freshmen that Tubby is always talking about, Devoe may have corrupted some of them. They're all still figuring how all of this D1 basketball thing works.

I felt the same way about L Westbrook.... great impact player for us.... but I worried about the behind the scenes stuff with his attitude.

Lot's of speculation on this situation, so here is my SPECTULATION.

Johnny Gopher mentioned that Devoe had talked about transfering back in Dec 2009. IF Devoe knew he was going to be suspended for the remainder of the season(for either 'team rules' violation or academic eligibility) after the Michigan game, then deciding to transfer in the middle of the season is not so surprising. Maybe even a way to 'save face' in his mind. Good chance we will never know.

...Good chance we will never know.

There are a lot of things in life, 19, that the less I know about certain things, the better. This is one of them. It has NO affect on my life.

Lot's of speculation on this situation, so here is my SPECTULATION.

Johnny Gopher mentioned that Devoe had talked about transfering back in Dec 2009. IF Devoe knew he was going to be suspended for the remainder of the season(for either 'team rules' violation or academic eligibility) after the Michigan game, then deciding to transfer in the middle of the season is not so surprising. Maybe even a way to 'save face' in his mind. Good chance we will never know.

This is exactly what I believe. Devoe was going to have some issues coming up preventing him from playing Spring basketball, so to save face he transferred before those issues could be publicly released.

This is exactly what I believe. Devoe was going to have some issues coming up preventing him from playing Spring basketball, so to save face he transferred before those issues could be pubicly released.

You're right.... Pubic release would have been very embarrassing.

People keep spelling his name wrong throughout this thread.

It's spelled "Cory Joseph's Pot-Smoking Older Brother".

So we get more and more rumors. Every one seems to forget that Tubby tried to talk Devoe into staying here. Tubby said he left over playing time. He wasn't meeting his personal goals which to me means he wasn't playing enough and he thought he was better than Nolen. That is an immature reason, but much more likely than the speculation I see on here.

Top Bottom