AP Rankings

thiagoc

Reaction score
Somebody please explain to me how we lost 1 position in the AP ranking when we WON our only game (away) and Kentucky only fell 2 spots after losing to Alabama?
We are now listed as #16.

Somebody please explain to me how we lost 1 position in the AP ranking when we only our only game (away) and Kentucky only fell 2 spots after losing to Alabama?

Maybe it has something to do with the Nolen injury, I don't know. I'm not sure what voters take into consideration, whether it's predictive, or just based on past accomplishments.

the michigan game isnt over yet, its still 69-64 in the second half. :)

Somebody please explain to me how we lost 1 position in the AP ranking when we only our only game (away) and Kentucky only fell 2 spots after losing to Alabama?

Well I mean, we beat Michigan, it's not like we went to Champaign or something. Doesn't matter anyway, it's not like AP rankings are gonna get us a better seed in the NCAAs or something.

Kentucky though probably should have fallen further, yes.

Irish

Looks like we traded spots, 16 and 15, with Notre Dame. The Irish beat #25 Cincinnati and Marquette. I guess that looks better than winning at Michigan these days.

Record Discrepancy

Figures since they have the Gophers as a 14-4 squad, not 15-4. Apparently beating Michigan is not relevant.

I have no idea how UK didn't drop farther.

Myron tried to push UK down, slotting them at #21. Hehe.

I'm *positive* (seriously) that the fact that our game with Michigan didn't make it onto ESPN.com, and therefore the Big-Ten standings weren't updated, played into the voting.

There's a difference between a voter thinking, "Minnesota won on the road" and "Minnesota didn't play this week".

And depending on where each voter gets their information...

I'm *positive* (seriously) that the fact that our game with Michigan didn't make it onto ESPN.com, and therefore the Big-Ten standings weren't updated, played into the voting.

If they didn't know that they shouldn't have a vote.

No sleep again

Its ESPN's fault for our drop in the rankings if only we could have clicked on our score sat night now this....

If they didn't know that they shouldn't have a vote.

I'm sure the voters from the Big Ten knew, but others around the country probably rely on "reliable" sources like ESPN.com.

I doubt a single vote would have changed, to be honest. A win (even on the road) over Michigan is unlikely to convince of much. Any movement the Gophers made would have been entirely based on what other teams did anyways.

haha its a worldwide plot againist minny sports. If firings, stadium collapses, and transfers/injuries cant make us disappear from the face of the earth, then the media will simply wipe us off the face of existance in the news.

Well I guess I assumed the polls sent their info over to ESPN to list. Being as they send over first place votes, points received per week, etc.

I don't know if they send the record (I doubt it), but they certainly don't send the last week/this week games.

Another example of why it's not always best to rely on the one absolute Sports Authority.

I cannot fathom why it is still not fixed. It has been 2 days. How f##ing hard can it be to fix that, especially given that they know about the problem?!

Welcome kal,
Thank you for contacting ESPN Customer Care. We will be with you in just a moment.

Corey: Hello. How can I help you today?

kal: FYI - The Minnesota Gopher College Basketball record is wrong on ESPN's website (the site has not credited Minnesota with its most recent win from a few days ago)

Corey: We are aware of the issue with the stats and records from the game you are referring to.

kal: Thanks, why has it not been updated?

Corey: Unfortunately I do not have that information.

kal: Ok, if you check out fan board like this:

kal: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=26483

kal: you will notice that it is alienating gopher fans

kal: Have a good night...

Corey: Have a great day. Let us know if you have any future questions.

Top Bottom