Bryant Allen

UofM Fan

Reaction score
I heard coach Kill make reference to the fact that he transferred because of interest in playing Bball this morning on the sports huddle. Really too bad he made that decision because he could be getting some good minutes right now. I know he is very unproven but I think he could've brought a nice changeup if we have to go with Mav for an extended period of time. Can you imagine the athleticism we could have on the court with him and Chip!! Lot's of turnovers I'm sure, but it could have been fun to watch.

I'm pretty sure he didn't make the decision not to play. That was his reason for leaving.

I'm pretty sure he didn't make the decision not to play. That was his reason for leaving.

I'm not sure I understand your statement. I was implying he went to another school because he would play more there than at the U.

I'm not sure I understand your statement. I was implying he went to another school because he would play more there than at the U.

It sounds like he wasn't given an opportunity to be on the team this year.

Allen is the most overrated basketball player in gopher history.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I think this team is better without Allen even given the present situation. Without Allen, the PG situations is a roughly 30/10 min Blake/Mav split. With Allen I could foresee something like a 26/10/4 split between Blake/Mav/Allen. Not a big difference but I would rather give Blake more time at point. And I also think Mav>Allen FWIW. I was never overly impressed with Allen when he was on the court last year. I think people more liked the idea of Allen (if that makes any sense).

...(if that makes any sense)

About as much sense as most of us Commentors comments on any/all of Forums of GopherHole. :)

Don't tell me it wouldn't be nice to have him right now with Devoe gone and Nolen out.

I'd rather have a 20/20 Hoff Mav split than Allen getting 20. Even if Allen was on the team
I'm not sure he'd get 10+ a game even with Nolen out. He simply isn't a big ten caliber basketball player. If he wants to play basketball, a Mid major is somewhere he could contribute.

I thought Allen was very "stiff" and unsure when he had to chance to play point. Understandable, when he arrived late to the team. I think Tubby allowed him on the team to help football, perhaps not this year....? Playing point is too important to be a part-timer.

One thing is certai we will see if he's good enough or not next year. I think as fans if a kid doesn't make an instant impact we write them off whithout knowing the reason why they aren't playing. Of course we all know he wasn't gonna be giving good mins on team because of the late arrival and scholarship ball players. Some things players have no control over so he probably made the decision to leave where his chance to get great mins were greater. You don't say a kid is maybe the best athelete on the team last year just to say that. Tubby said that he thought that about Allen last year but couldn't find a way to break him in to the rotation. You have to play the kids that are there on scholarship unless you are Indiana and had to take what you can get because of the ncaa ruling to take away scholarships from the program. Timing is everything so I'm sure coach could use him now because he could score of dibble and defend well but I got word that coach told him because of good early progress from mav and blake he would not be invited back this year

Why is it one or the other? Who said Allen would need 20 minutes? Also, people seem to assume that nothing can possibly happen to Mav or Hoffarber because we have already been screwed by Nolen's injury and Devoe's departure. You can always use some depth at pg, and let's not act like Mav is miles and miles ahead of Allen or that he wouldn't at least provide another pg in practice.

I'd rather have a 20/20 Hoff Mav split than Allen getting 20. Even if Allen was on the team
I'm not sure he'd get 10+ a game even with Nolen out. He simply isn't a big ten caliber basketball player. If he wants to play basketball, a Mid major is somewhere he could contribute.

I never said I wouldn't want him. They certainly could just use another body right now. Tubby very well could be searching campus for former varsity basketball PGs just to get another guard for practice purposes. The gophers are playing with 8 now, 3 are Maverick, Hollins, and Chip. If another starter goes down this team will be in a world of hurt. They need bodies.

That being said, I never said I wouldn't want him or it wouldn't be nice to have him around. I said he is the most overrated player in the history of gopher basketball.....and it ain't close.

Allen

I never said I wouldn't want him. They certainly could just use another body right now. Tubby very well could be searching campus for former varsity basketball PGs just to get another guard for practice purposes. The gophers are playing with 8 now, 3 are Maverick, Hollins, and Chip. If another starter goes down this team will be in a world of hurt. They need bodies.

That being said, I never said I wouldn't want him or it wouldn't be nice to have him around. I said he is the most overrated player in the history of gopher basketball.....and it ain't close.

That's absurd for so many reasons! First, he wasn't a recruited basketball player, he was recruited for football. Second, you have to take into account that he joined the team about 3 months after the season started after just completing football. To make a fair assessment of his skill level, I think he would have to start the year with the basketball team and go through all practices and games just like all the other players did. I was actually pleasantly surprised at his skills; he obviously had quickness and a shot. He was the metro St. Louis basketball player of the year, and that's not a bad thing. If he had started with the U concentrating on basketball and did not pan out that would be one thing, but given the totally of the circumstances I think your assessment is way off base.

When have I criticized his skill level? I have said I don't think he is as good as Maverick, but is that an insult?
I simply said he is the most overrated player in gopher basketball history. You are taking this as an insult to him...it isn't. It is an insult to a select group of people who continually act like he would have been a key player on the team this year (he wouldn't have been). It is an insult to people who believe that he was better than Cobbs last year or better than maverick this year (he isn't).

Maybe if he had concentrated on basketball he would have been a lot better player. The issue is, if he was going to concentrate on basketball, he wouldn't have been playing for Minnesota. He was what he was, a guy who played for the gopher basketball for about 2.5 months, a guy who logged 22 garbage time minutes, and a guy who would have never been a gopher basketball player if he was not recruited to be a football player. Me saying he is an overrated player is not an insult to him, it is an insult to some of the people who pretend that he was much more than he was. Maybe that is you, maybe it isn't...I dont know. I haven't read enough about your thoughts on the player. From what I have read in your posts, you seem to think that if he devoted his time to basketball he had the potential to contribute...that could very well be correct so I don't think you should be insulted by me calling Allen an overrated player.

I'm with Rosemountian on this one. I think the hype from Allen was all about him being a very good HS player and a very good dual sport guy. A body in practice - fine. On the floor for more than 5 minutes per game if we hope to finish in upper half of Big Ten? No way.

I'm not sure how you came up with that conclusion about how overrated he is... I'm also not sure how you came up with that 20 min comparison. Either way, I can't think of what exactly puts Mav miles beyond Allen other than that Allen looked for his own shot too much. I'm sure that would've been fixable. I'm not saying he would've made that big of a difference, but it certainly would've been nice to have him, especially if Hoffarber or Mav are ever unavailable for whatever reason. If a quick guard is defending Mav and decides to play him really tight, our offense will be pretty awful.

Apparently he is practicing with the Redbirds basketball team already. Not sure why Tubby would close the door on him.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/article_77b15cf0-1df8-11e0-8e60-001cc4c03286.html

Allen also saw limited action in nine games for the Minnesota basketball team during the 2009-10 season. He scored 25 points in the title game to help Maplewood-Richmond Heights High School win a Missouri state championship as a junior.

“He’s someone a couple years ago we were very impressed with and recruited,” said ISU basketball coach Tim Jankovich. “We think he’s a very talented athlete. He’s trying to pull off a very difficult double. He might be able to do it.”

Allen started practice with the Redbirds Tuesday and will be eligible to play after the fall semester of 2011 is completed.
“He’s a good shooter, scorer and very quick,” Jankovich said. “It will be interesting to see when he gets out (next season). Obviously, he’s going to miss the fall and how quickly can he adapt to a new sport.”

Apparently he is practicing with the Redbirds basketball team already. Not sure why Tubby would close the door on him.

Because on a team filled with distractions adding a part time (and at the time 4th string) point guard probably hurts more than it helps.

This is the most overstated post in Gopherhole history.

Who rated him so highly? Is there anyone that viewed him to be better than Nolen or Joseph? There was speculation that he might be an option worth looking at in comparison to Cobbs who was playing terribly at times. Is that a real big stretch.

The bottom line is that Allen had a very good if not great high school basketball career, was a tremendous three point shooter in HS (near 50% and outside shooting is something we lack) was a great athlete and appeared to be a decent team mate. He might have been interesting to have around at this point and I don't know that anyone is saying anymore than that.

Are we sure that it was Tubby that closed the door on him? Could it be that Kill wanted him to concentrate on football only?

There are 9 active players, not 8.

Top Bottom