Dick Vitale

gopher_alum_2005

Reaction score
A little off topic after the big win but what do people think about him? I honestly can't get enough of the guy. I love his passion and enjoy all the games he calls

If he never said the word 'baby' again I could listen to him.

Love him -- he makes every game enjoyable to watch with the passion he brings.

My peeve.

Either use the acronyms or use the full words. But don't use the acronyms and THEN explain what they mean right after you use them...EVERY TIME.

That's a W.O.W., baby: Waste of Words!

Dickie is the worst. I refuse to watch ESPN when he's on.

If he would get the "BOLL" out of his mouth he would be better but I still have to "mute" him.

Pet peeve: Dickie and pal (think its Jim Nance) are talking general BS while big plays are happening. They don't describe what happened, who made the play, etc. Might as well turn the sound off.

Last night watched Siena. Announcers are talking BS for 3 minutes before they realized Siena's key guard was hurt on a play.

Can't count the number of times there has been a screwy turnover and the announcers completely ignored it. Was it a foul, travel, 3 seconds?

Not sure how objective he is. A little like Sid where if he likes someone they can do no wrong.

He can not love Mich State enough! Says they can still be in Final 4 this yr? Give me a break - they are not this good this year despite their "tremendous" schedule.

Not a fan myself. He has his favorites, that's for sure. And he lets that affect his work a lot. I remember he was doing a game a couple of years ago and he literally spent five minutes straight talking about the NC-Dook game that was coming up the next week. Meanwhile a very good game was going on that he was supposed to be announcing. I think it was even in the 2nd half.

Love him, wish he would come here once in a blue moon.

Oh, America, are you serious?

But really though, he is terribly annoying.

I like listening to Dickie V. He and Bob Knight are the best.

no thanks

Can't stand the guy for the reasons posted above.

There was some recorded ESPN show in the Barn back when I was in the pep band. We played the segue music in and out of commercials. He stopped by the band to say hi, I guess. He rattled off 2-3 of his catch phrases, waved, said something akward about the good looking girls and the band, and kept walking.
I think he's been praised so many times that he really comes off as a broken record with a bad ego.

Can't stand the guy for the reasons posted above.

There was some recorded ESPN show in the Barn back when I was in the pep band. We played the segue music in and out of commercials. He stopped by the band to say hi, I guess. He rattled off 2-3 of his catch phrases, waved, said something akward about the good looking girls and the band, and kept walking.
I think he's been praised so many times that he really comes off as a broken record with a bad ego.

Comment all you want about Dick Vitale the color analyst. His schtick gets old. However...to say he as a bad ego is just foolish. You have no idea what you're talking about. He's the most selfless, giving person I've ever encountered. Instead of making up your mind about someone that you've never met, how about you just shut up until you actually know the guy. To a person, no one has ever said anything bad about Vitale that actually know him. He's one of the most charitable people alive. You don't have to like the way he performs his job but to blindly resent the guy based on some quick observation is just dumb. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I didn't particularly care for him (only because of his love for Duke) until I met him a couple years ago at a banquet. He's a very nice guy and took the time to talk to everyone in the audience after the banquet was over. He's a genuinely good human being who was a great speaker (told numerous great/humorous stories) at the event I saw him at. He really loves what he does and loves giving back.

He can get off-topic during games, but if you're watching the game on tv, why do you need him to describe every play that happens? I enjoy some of the things he talks about during broadcasts that have nothing to do with the game. It's on tv--you don't need him to tell you what you just saw.

I used to love him ages ago, but the schtick gets old. I guess that is true of any announcer (felt the same way about Berman and Madden). The two things that do bother me is a) the excessive Duke love and b) the blind eye :) he turns to cheating programs and coaches. I think the only coach I can recall him having a problem with is Dave Bliss.

That said, I do think he is sincere and knows the game. He probably really is so enthusiastic and positive that it is hard for him to be critical. I'd like to see him paired up with someone who would call him on his bs ("Aw sjhit Dick, not Duke agaaain" "Sure Dick, Calipari is great. How come I can't find his Final 4's in the record book...").

I used to love him ages ago, but the schtick gets old. I guess that is true of any announcer (felt the same way about Berman and Madden). The two things that do bother me is a) the excessive Duke love and b) the blind eye :) he turns to cheating programs and coaches. I think the only coach I can recall him having a problem with is Dave Bliss.

That said, I do think he is sincere and knows the game. He probably really is so enthusiastic and positive that it is hard for him to be critical. I'd like to see him paired up with someone who would call him on his bs ("Aw sjhit Dick, not Duke agaaain" "Sure Dick, Calipari is great. How come I can't find his Final 4's in the record book...").[/QUOTE]

1. You'll be hard pressed to find anything overtally positive Vitale says about Cailpari. He'll say as many positive things about Slick Cal as he does some random program. He's not a fan.

2. Vitale is just as big a fan of UNC as he is of Duke. It's not a Duke thing. It's these 2 things...1) He loves front runners. No 2 programs have been more successful over his college announcing career as Duke and UNC. 2) He loves the ACC. He loves Coach K just as much as he loves Dean Smith. He loves the aura of both programs. He loves nothing more than Coach K's involvement in the Jimmy V foundation, which is almost his life's work. This goes back to his friendship with Jimmy V, Coach K, Dave Odom, etc.

Vitale is INCREDIBLY biased. He loves Duke and he loves UNC just as much. His bias is based on something positive though and as soon as people realize it, they won't be as hard on one of the nicest, most well-meaning people alive, despite his cartoonish schtick as a color analyst (a whole different story).

I've been told by a reputable source that Vitale has donated over 1/2 his career earnings to the Jimmy V foundation. I don't know what his will states after he passes but that alone should shield himself from any personal attacks on this board because I'm pretty sure he hasn't punched anyone here in the face.

I've been told by a reputable source that Vitale has donated over 1/2 his career earnings to the Jimmy V foundation. I don't know what his will states after he passes but that alone should shield himself from any personal attacks on this board because I'm pretty sure he hasn't punched anyone here in the face.

I did not know that. Very impressive. Character does matter to me. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Not my favorite, but there are many who are a lot worse. Overall, he has been great for the game.

I did not know that. Very impressive. Character does matter to me. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Professionally, Vitale has gotten too close to those that he's covered that he respects. It skews his prospective of the game.

Personally, Vitale has gotten close enough to form life-long friends and we're all better for it.

Vitale the person is about as good as it gets. Vitale the professional is a tired act.

Top Bottom