Borton has to be fired at the end of the season!

LogicalGopher

Banned
Reaction score
0-6 in the conference and headed for back-to-back last place finishes. She has one impact player on the court and that is Cotton. The freshman are horrible and they will be no better next year.

I am against firing anyone until we have a new AD in place.

I am against firing anyone until we have a new AD in place.

Sadly, I agree, we don't need Maturi handling any more coaching searches lol. At least get the new Prez in place first come July.

There is absolutely no incentive to fire Borton.
Attendance it is a non-revenue sport. When dealing with non-revenue sports...paying for multiple coaches is not necessarily the best idea.

Really???

Do people really care about women's basketball enough to start a thread?

Do people really care about women's basketball enough to start a thread?

really??? do people really care about women's basketball enough to click on a new thread about women's basketball and post in the thread?

I assume he's saying this is Tubby's forum, so Borton talk doesn't belong here...

It's the basketball forum. I don't think the "Tubby" descriptor disqualifies women's basketball talk. In fact, the "Other Sports" forum does not specifically mention women's basketball.

I know you're not speaking from your own views, but I had to say something to the knob complaining about Gopher basketball talk on a Gopher basketball forum.

Admittedly, she's doing a miserable job of coaching this team. But like another poster said, what's our alternative? Maturi handling this search? Yikes. I fear we're stuck with the crap product that she's been putting out the last two years for awhile yet.

The first thing they need to do is go back to the Pavilion, but we all know that will never happen.

Since when do we wait until the end of the season for these things?

The first thing they need to do is go back to the Pavilion, but we all know that will never happen.
It holds 5,700 fans, they should go back as it is more fun to play and watch games when places are full...this is why I never understood why the girls demanded that their state hockey tournament be played at the X as opposed to Ridder.

The girls hockey tournament at the X did not come about as a result of choice of the MSHSL. IIRC, the League was sued in a Title IX suit claiming unequal treatment, and the move to the X was the result of an out-of-court settlement.

I agree that the girls hockey tournament needs to be at Ridder. If Ridder is consistently full, then move to Mariucci. Then move to the X if crowds warrant it.

The girls hockey tournament at the X did not come about as a result of choice of the MSHSL. IIRC, the League was sued in a Title IX suit claiming unequal treatment, and the move to the X was the result of an out-of-court settlement.

I agree that the girls hockey tournament needs to be at Ridder. If Ridder is consistently full, then move to Mariucci. Then move to the X if crowds warrant it.

I'm assuming that Ridder was cheaper to rent than the X. So now the MSHSL has to pay a larger amount to rent a facility in which will not even be close to full. Yes, that makes sense. Give everyone a trophy!

Back to Borton. Apparently Maturi was fearful of losing his premier women's basketball coach so he signed her to an extension a year to two ago.

He is not likely to want to pay a buyout AGAIN even though it would be minimal.
I totally agree that he should not be allowed to hire anybody until the new prez is in place.

Since Borton has her best recruiting class signed for next season and she's not coaching a revenue sports, I would imagine she'll be around for another year.

The fact that she let it get this bad is inexcusable. She should have been let go when the mutiny occured since that basically killed all of the Final Four momentum.

Why doesn't Leah Cotton start?

Will the insanity ever end? Oh how I hate political correctness.:mad:

I agree that Borton's program seems to be spirraling out of control but here are some interesting numbers.

Since the 2007-2008 season when Tubby took over (3+ seasons)

Coach A
B10 record: 28-32
Avg. B10 finish: 6.33
NCAA Tourney wins: 1

Coach B
B10 record: 29-31
NCAA Tourney wins: 0

Coach A is Borton and Coach B is Tubby. If it weren't for the current 6 game slide in B10 play for the ladies, Borton would be performing better than Tubby the past 3+ seasons.

Hmmmm........

I agree that Borton's program seems to be spirraling out of control but here are some interesting numbers.

Since the 2007-2008 season when Tubby took over (3+ seasons)

Coach A
B10 record: 28-32
NCAA Tourney wins: 1

Coach B
B10 record: 29-31
NCAA Tourney wins: 0

Coach A is Borton and Coach B is Tubby. If it weren't for the current 6 game slide in B10 play for the ladies, Borton would be performing better than Tubby the past 3+ seasons.

Hmmmm........

Hey Art, it is an 8 game Big Ten slide. They lost their last 2 in 2010. In fact, after starting 3-1 in the Big Ten in 2010, they have gone 3-17 in the conference, with a BTT loss thrown in.

Hey Art, it is an 8 game Big Ten slide. They lost their last 2 in 2010. In fact, after starting 3-1 in the Big Ten in 2010, they have gone 3-17 in the conference, with a BTT loss thrown in.

Not to mention its quite a bit different taking over a Final Four team and letting it go to crap as compared to taking over a program in the dumps and building it back up. Art you need to get a clue.

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Why doesn't Leah Cotton start?

My guess is because Antoine (senior) and Buford (junior) are starting in the backcourt and Cotton is only a sophomore. Borton has a tendency to start upperclassmen instead of underclassmen who may be performing better.

wrong

Not to mention its quite a bit different taking over a Final Four team and letting it go to crap as compared to taking over a program in the dumps and building it back up. Art you need to get a clue.

Pam Borton didn't inherit a Final Four team...she inherited some talented players and led them to a Final Four...but anybody coulda done it right?

She can coach a little....she sucks at talent evaluation and therefore recruiting choices

Banham and Hirt might help...Noga may develop into an effective scorer

Top Bottom