Are we who we thought we were? From 12/31/08 to 2/4/09

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Are the Gophers a significantly different/better/worse/similar team to the team that played MSU on New Years Eve? How have they changed, if at all to you?

For me, I think the defense, while good at the time, has adjusted to Big Ten play very nicely and rebounding has improved. RSIII is obviously coming on strong but Nolen seems shakier and Blake has disappeared as an instant shot of O off the bench. Other than that, the team seems about the same but maybe with a touch bit more of urgency. They almost seemed okay with the loss to MSU in December, as if it was an expected reality check at the time. Now, after the gutsy Wisky win, chippy tOSU win, and domination of the illini, the team seems hungrier and tougher - maybe due to the emergence of Westbrook as a cold blooded killer and leader of the team. What are your thoughts.

dennis-green-crown.jpg

Good summary. That hits it pretty well. Slightly different take is:

Inside game getting better (but still needs work)
Outside game getting worse (but still adequate)
Rebounding improving (starting from a very low basis)
Playmaking is more patient (kids maturing w/in the BT)
Turnovers still a concern (sort of inexplicable)

Are the Gophers a significantly different/better/worse/similar team to the team that played MSU on New Years Eve? How have they changed, if at all to you?

For me, I think the defense, while good at the time, has adjusted to Big Ten play very nicely and rebounding has improved. RSIII is obviously coming on strong but Nolen seems shakier and Blake has disappeared as an instant shot of O off the bench. Other than that, the team seems about the same but maybe with a touch bit more of urgency. They almost seemed okay with the loss to MSU in December, as if it was an expected reality check at the time. Now, after the gutsy Wisky win, chippy tOSU win, and domination of the illini, the team seems hungrier and tougher - maybe due to the emergence of Westbrook as a cold blooded killer and leader of the team. What are your thoughts.

Not as thorough an analysis as yours but I would say yes to your title question: they are a young team that is continuing to grow and improve, but who play with the typically inconsistency of a young team.

The growth has occurred faster than I would have guessed before the Louisville game.

It seems the team is ascending faster than I thought possible.

Well, hmm. I guess MSU is who we thought they were and not weren't not (yet) who I thought we were. Brutal. The tOSU matchup may be a better indication of whether the Gophers are who I thought they were prior to last night.... Here's to hoping for a quick bounce back!

Top Bottom