Want to know why KFAN has a bad name?

rivergopher

Reaction score
I made the mistake of listening to PA today because he was going to have Quincy Lewis on at 11:35 am. Within the first 5 minutes of the interview the station once again proved how much they really don't care about Gopher athletics. PA asked him how it was to play for Monson and also asked him what it was like to sit out the NCAA tournament game which we know neither are true. It would take 5 minutes of research to find these facts out. If I were Quincy I would have hung up the phone on PA, but he handled it just like the classy student/athlete we remember. I don't why I expected any differently. He then went on to say that when Eden Prairie(where he lives) talks trash that Quincy should wear goggles because they throw credit cards and bank records implying how wealthy and important everyone from Eden Prairie is. Ridiculous. For those who don't know Quincy is an assistant coach at a team that is playing them Friday night.

Thanks for bringing this up, I was hoping someone would. I also made this mistake of having this on today... Might have been one of the worst interviews I've ever heard in my life. Multiple inaccuracies as you mentioned, and it was pretty embarrassing to be honest. Also, it was great when he asked him if he had ever met Tubby Smith :confused:... After Quincy had mentioned before how close he was still to the program, goes to many games, even on the road. Very impressed by Quincy though, he is extremley well-spoken, a class act, and handled the situation as well as he could have. PA is intolerable.

I also listened to the interview. I think he was just trying to be funny with the lines about Eden Prairie fans. He wasn't. Sometimes I like PA and his style but he kind of disrespected Quincy today. Q handled it well while quickly correcting the interviewer. You could tell he was annoyed that PA thought he was one of the players suspended in that tournament game. C'mon PA!! You're better than that. YEESSSSSS

I also listened to the interview. I think he was just trying to be funny with the lines about Eden Prairie fans. He wasn't. Sometimes I like PA and his style but he kind of disrespected Quincy today. Q handled it well while quickly correcting the interviewer. You could tell he was annoyed that PA thought he was one of the players suspended in that tournament game. C'mon PA!! You're better than that. YEESSSSSS

No he certainly is not better than that....

I want PA and Sid to team up to do a radio show. Then we could really have something to complain about.

How many games has PA been to at Williams? Don't know the answer, but I bet it's zero. His prep (or lack of prep) for the interview tells us everything one needs to know about PA when it comes to Gopher basketball.

C'mon PA!! You're better than that. YEESSSSSS

No he certainly is not better than that....

PA is SO not better than that... That was about as good as PA gets.

Let's give PA a break. He needs some time to take his brown nose out of Brett Favre's hind quarters. Either that or, he didn't have enough time to prep for the Q interview because he's too busy researching who the Vikings' third-team center or special teams players are going to be next year.

Yeah he stated that he hasn't been to a game in 10 years I believe. Its just incredible that when I email the program director about my concerns he always says that they are trying to take a more positive stance about the University and this crap happens.

Want to know how bad PA is?

I'd rather listen to Dave Lee do a football game than PA.

Yeah he stated that he hasn't been to a game in 10 years I believe. Its just incredible that when I email the program director about my concerns he always says that they are trying to take a more positive stance about the University and this crap happens.

I haven't been to a game in several years, but I still take the time to watch them on TV when I am able. I just don't see where a more positive stance on the University coincides with a poor show prep at KFAN. Saying Quincy Lewis was suspended for the Final 4 game is like saying Trent Tucker made the free throw that clinched the Big Ten Title in 1981-82 season. (It was Darryl Mitchell btw).

Paying attention to sports is what a host on a sports talk station should do. Barriero is 1,000 times better than PA, mostly because he admits his shortcomings in paying attention to some sports. PA just tries to gloss over them like he was wooing a girl in a bar.

The vast majority of people are not that smart.

People will only pay attention/put a priority to what is being covered in the media. KFAN (not to mention the rest of the local media) crams Vikings down everyone's throats, so that is what they care about.

I have two friends that moved out of state about 5 years ago, one to Northern NJ and the other to Chicago. These two people were longtime, loyal Vikings fans. All of a sudden, they turn into Jets & Bears fans (not just b/c they are doing well this year). Why? Did they secretly like them while they lived here? Of course not. It's what is being covered in the local media, so all of a sudden they pay attention and become fans. Why are people living in the Northern part of Iowa Vikings fans? Aren't Iowans supposed to hate everything Minnesota? No, they're fans because their local media covers the Vikings.

People are not that smart. We give them way too much credit. The media makes decisions for them, not the other way around.

I agree with you, it just really bothered me that when they do take the time to cover the University that he puts absolutely no preparation into it. His attitude afterward really infuriated me. He will just go back to talking about which QB the Vikings will draft and screw up. It is so obvious that KFAN has an objective to belittle the gophers every chance they get. Last week he had Lucia on and as soon as it was over he started playing the Holy Cross call. Found that very disrespectful also. I know that the Hockey program isn't exactly a powerhouse right now but to play that just makes me not want to listen even more. I listened today because Q was one of my favorites and always liked the way he handled himself at the summer camps when I was a youth.

I agree with you, it just really bothered me that when they do take the time to cover the University that he puts absolutely no preparation into it. His attitude afterward really infuriated me. He will just go back to talking about which QB the Vikings will draft and screw up. It is so obvious that KFAN has an objective to belittle the gophers every chance they get. Last week he had Lucia on and as soon as it was over he started playing the Holy Cross call. Found that very disrespectful also. I know that the Hockey program isn't exactly a powerhouse right now but to play that just makes me not want to listen even more. I listened today because Q was one of my favorites and always liked the way he handled himself at the summer camps when I was a youth.

Exactly. People wonder why very few of our top local talent display no "pride" to stay home and want to help the home team win, let alone grow up "dreaming" of one day playing for the Gophers?

The media doesn't care = General Public doesn't care = Young kids growing up don't care

Well - that's just comical for PA. I'm sure he'll try to paint a different picture tomorrow morning -

I don't mind PA as much as some other folks does, but it's gotten to the point where if he even mentions another Minnesota team I'm virtually shocked. His obsession with everything Vikings is like a case study in OCD. I'm not overly surprised by that since he's the play-by-play guy and all, but he takes it a level that is quite laughable...

PA is admittedly not a "great collegiate athletics mind", which he usually restates for people when doing this kind of interview. I only caught some of this today, so Im not sure if he did that today. Not knowing that Quincy played for Clem is inexcusable though. Did he even ask him one question about the final four season of which Quincy was a freshman, I believe? That is probably a bigger travesty, how bout a question about what it takes for us to have another year like that....

on the court, not homework related.

The real point here - is that PA doesn't know what he's talking about when discussing the Gopher BB team. That's that take away. The outcome will be (hopefully) is that more folks will stop listening to him, or give his opinion less credence. His interview with Q was inexcusable, but again what do you expect from him? Dan B would not have made these simple mistakes, because he prepares for his interviews!

PA is admittedly not a "great collegiate athletics mind", which he usually restates for people when doing this kind of interview. I only caught some of this today, so Im not sure if he did that today. Not knowing that Quincy played for Clem is inexcusable though. Did he even ask him one question about the final four season of which Quincy was a freshman, I believe? That is probably a bigger travesty, how bout a question about what it takes for us to have another year like that....

on the court, not homework related.

How do you talk about the Final Four without the academic scandal? I doubt Quincy would want to talk about that.

The travesty was insinuating that Quincy was part of the academic scandal and had to "sit out" the Gonzaga game. PA actually had a sports talk show in the Minneapolis market on the very day of the game.

"have you met Tubby Smith?" - Good Lord.

Want to know how bad PA is?

I'd rather listen to Dave Lee do a football game than PA.

Old "he's hit hard" Lee.

PA does a great job with Viking football. It's all about the pros. Gopher sports is less than last.

Didn't listen to it, but I never listen to that station. It ticks me off more because of who he was interviewing. I've watched Gopher hoops since the mid '70's and Q is one of my all-time favorite Gophers for who he is, on and off the court. He is a great example of what players should aspire to become when the attend "The U".

I know people who know PA and really like him, but I just can't respect him as a radio personality.

NFL Lockout and KFAN?

I'm kind of hoping for an extended NFL lockout to see how KFAN does. If only to knock their on air personalities down a peg or two.

I am so desperate for Gopher sports coverage that I do swallow my pride and listen when gopher related subjects are on KFAN.

PA was disrespectful today. I don't care if he isn't a great "college sports mind", he should have been a professional and done just a google search. It's not even like it was in the pre-internet era when you actually had to do research. Nowadays, you have to type a name into google and that's it. The last few Gopher related topics have been so unprofessional it appeared on purpose and if it wasn't on purpose, it was the most apathetic journalism i've ever witnessed.

You know on every one of the many previous KFAN threads where people complain about the uninformed, snarky treatment that they offer the Gophers there's always two or three KFAN sycophants and trolls piping in to say "well, what else can they say about the Gophers? The team sucks!"

None of those on this thread huh? Well, at least that's a step in the right direction.

OK, calm down. Maybe just don't listen if it gets your panties in a bunch! Enjoy the season!

The vast majority of people are not that smart.

People will only pay attention/put a priority to what is being covered in the media. KFAN (not to mention the rest of the local media) crams Vikings down everyone's throats, so that is what they care about.

I have two friends that moved out of state about 5 years ago, one to Northern NJ and the other to Chicago. These two people were longtime, loyal Vikings fans. All of a sudden, they turn into Jets & Bears fans (not just b/c they are doing well this year). Why? Did they secretly like them while they lived here? Of course not. It's what is being covered in the local media, so all of a sudden they pay attention and become fans. Why are people living in the Northern part of Iowa Vikings fans? Aren't Iowans supposed to hate everything Minnesota? No, they're fans because their local media covers the Vikings.

People are not that smart. We give them way too much credit. The media makes decisions for them, not the other way around.

With all do respect to you and your friends, I think that is crazy and kinda stupid. I've never known anyone who changes who their favorite team is based on media coverage. I've lived away from Minnesota for 8 years now, and I'm more of a MN sports fan now than ever.

With all do respect to you and your friends, I think that is crazy and kinda stupid. I've never known anyone who changes who their favorite team is based on media coverage. I've lived away from Minnesota for 8 years now, and I'm more of a MN sports fan now than ever.

I think it's pretty stupid too...I would never cheer for another college team but the Gophers no matter where I lived.

However, this stuff happens. And it happens a lot. My dad grew up in Chicago a Bears and Cubs fan, but having lived in MN for the last 30 years, he is much more of a MN sports fan now.

I think a lot of it has to do with the type of fan you are. Remember, on this board we are almost all in the "diehard" category. However, most sports fans out there aren't as passionate as we are - they don't go on message boards and the like. Therefore, they are more likely to be succeptable to switching allegiances.

But the "typical" fan is exactly the fan the Gophers need to capture. When the media treats the Gophers like second-class citizens, that is exactly how the average fan will perceive them.

It sounds dumb, but we're an exception to the typical fan. That's what most people on this board fail to realize.

OK, calm down. Maybe just don't listen if it gets your panties in a bunch! Enjoy the season!

I don't think anyone is really having a meltdown or anything. People have an opinion about KFAN and they are expressing it. It is similar to how you have an opinion on this thread and you are expressing it. If you don't like threads that bash KFAN, maybe just don't open them.

I don't think anyone is really having a meltdown or anything. People have an opinion about KFAN and they are expressing it. It is similar to how you have an opinion on this thread and you are expressing it. If you don't like threads that bash KFAN, maybe just don't open them.

I'm with Mr. Loblaw on this one. Paul Allen wearied me with his feeble attempt at being cool or hip. Had to stop listening long ago.

I am so desperate for Gopher sports coverage that I do swallow my pride and listen when gopher related subjects are on KFAN.

PA was disrespectful today. I don't care if he isn't a great "college sports mind", he should have been a professional and done just a google search. It's not even like it was in the pre-internet era when you actually had to do research. Nowadays, you have to type a name into google and that's it. The last few Gopher related topics have been so unprofessional it appeared on purpose and if it wasn't on purpose, it was the most apathetic journalism i've ever witnessed.

I am also alot like Bob. I listen to KFAN too much, and continue to be starved for Gopher Bball coverage. I can't get enough of it. I also agree that if you peruse this board on a daily basis, you're definitely the exception for the typical fan. I was not as bothered as some were about the Quincy interview. It was obviously a lack of preparation on PA's part. What's interesting to me is that there is not one of the main on-air personalities at KFAN that will talk Gophers on a routine basis. There are alot of sports options in this town, I realize that... but I need a Dubay-like on the KFAN. Say what you may about him... that guy blead maroon and gold and I loved him for that. It seems that a couple of the on air sidekicks are the most passionate about the gophs in Gardsy and Joe Nelson - PA's pup (so condescending by the way). PA's show really went south after losing Dubay... they were a great team. I think PA is well intended, but his ego has ballooned in recent years with his Vikings success and it's hard for me to stomach anymore. Believe it or not, Bareiro gives them the most coverage, but that's not saying alot and he tends to dwell on the scandalous nature of our team rather than it's fine attributes.

Best thing that happened to the fan as of late is Dark Star's appearances with Common... There is that.

Top Bottom