Penn State / Purdue

Blizzard

Reaction score
Well, nothing will come easy this year. Penn State is taking Purdue down to the wire, down one with about 1:30 left.

Damn.

Unfortunately not. The big ten is proving they are the best conference in college basketball from top to second to last. (Iowa just can't hang with anyone) Penn State will be tough because Taylor Battle can play. Tough break for Penn State tonight but they will play with everyone in the conference.

Penn State is an entirely different team than two weeks ago. Wow.

Maybe by some miracle the Wolves can get Jajuan Johnson.. He is just sick, kinda Durantish..

Did PSU get the shaft with the out of bounce call with 5 secs left? Ted Hillary of course!

PSU should have had the ball

But thank God no instant replay. Its ruined football.

Did PSU get the shaft with the out of bounce call with 5 secs left? Ted Hillary of course!
Total shaft call. That game was stolen from PSU by Hillary...and they deserved to win it.

Watched it 4x...definitely off of Moore, really not much of a question. Without that call, PSU up by 1, they inbound the ball, 2 free throws by Battle/Frazier seals it with < 4 seconds to play.

Purdue better not complain about another call all year...that should be 3 L's in a row.

Total shaft call. That game was stolen from PSU by Hillary...and they deserved to win it.

Watched it 4x...definitely off of Moore, really not much of a question. Without that call, PSU up by 1, they inbound the ball, 2 free throws by Battle/Frazier seals it with < 4 seconds to play.

Purdue better not complain about another call all year...that should be 3 L's in a row.

Just like the loose ball foul on Hulls from Indiana at the end of the Gopher/IU game :D

J/K it's better to be lucky than good. The refs gave PSU a chance after JJ's bucket by blowing the whistle to check the clock which was unnecessary. PSU didn't have any timeouts left but the stoppage allowed them to set something up. Home cookin' is always good. Bring on MSU.

The refs gave PSU a chance after JJ's bucket by blowing the whistle to check the clock which was unnecessary.
How was it unnecessary?!

It was probably the most necessary stoppage of the entire game...the timekeeper ran too much time off the clock after the ball went through the hoop? It read like 2.0 secs, and after review, they changed it to 3.1 or whatever.

Basically, PSU was getting hosed AGAIN. The refs actually made the right call on that play.

How was it unnecessary?!

It was probably the most necessary stoppage of the entire game...the timekeeper ran too much time off the clock after the ball went through the hoop? It read like 2.0 secs, and after review, they changed it to 3.1 or whatever.

Basically, PSU was getting hosed AGAIN. The refs actually made the right call on that play.

Yawn.

I said in my OP that it was better to be lucky than good sometimes.

Oh, and by the way, just watched the replay in super slow mo and exchanged texts with 3 others. It was the correct call. Purdue ball.

I thought the OOB call off PSU was a close one and it was not obviously wrong. Can't say I disagree with it. Frazier has to learn not to touch the ball when it's on the way OOB when it clearly is off the knee of a player on the other team. I loathe teams like PSU this season that suck in nonconference play and turn it on only when conference play comes, because they hurt the league RPI and make the league look bad when the better teams struggle with them.

I really want Ed DeChellis to be fired, because long-term that is in the best interest of PSU, and this game was another small step in that direction - for that I am grateful. It is almost painful to watch PSU, knowing this season is like the last meal of a condemned man - their team is basically their four senior starters + soph Frazier, DeChellis has made zero NCAA tourneys in his 7 years with PSU, and they're clearly not on track to make it this year. You can't have a BCS school's all-time leading scorer for four very productive seasons, make zero NCAA tourneys and still keep your job, can you? Their team is going to be decimated by exhaustion of eligibility, they will have the worst group of returning players in the B10, and they haven't recruited very well. It seems like they sold their soul for the ability to play like an NCAA tourney team sometime before the last couple weeks.

I hope they make the NCAA

and beat every team but MN. They were better than PU tonight and deserved to win.

I didn't think the replay on the out of bounds call was conclusive at all, but hey, I'm a Purdue fan. Couldn't tell if Smooge hit the ball or hit the guys hand.

I know. I'm not sure of the intention of your post though, other than to whine as other Boiler fans have about Johnson's draft projection vs. Rodney's. I think people have talked enough crap about Rodney's draft projection. I highly doubt Rodney is ever a lottery pick anyway.

Johnson isn't even projected as a 1st rounder which makes the talk of Rodney Williams being a lottery pick absolutely ludicrous.

I haven't seen the replay of out of bounds play but being at the game tonight Penn State made every big shot they need except one. Huge props to them for that. Purdue got up big early and the Nittany Lions could have folded but they didn't so they deserve credit for that.

With all that said there were times when the ref's certainly keep PSU in the game, down the stretch there were multiple fouls that PSU got away with including a shot clock violation. Anyway Purdue ending up winning a game they needed to stay in the B10 race and I'm glad doesn't have anything more to do with that Penn State team until the BTT.

I realize I'm a Purdue fan but is there anyway JJ isn't the B10 POY right now. I know you could make a case of Sullinger but JJ has shown up for every game, dominated at times, and completely carried Purdue also.

As for the future of PSU hoops, they need to get rid of Ed. While he might be on quite a run right now I think he track record during his run in Happy Valley shows that he cannot put a consistently good product on the floor. If making the NCAA tourney every year is the baseline for success at Penn State, it's clear the current coaching staff wont' get them there.

I haven't seen the replay of out of bounds play but being at the game tonight Penn State made every big shot they need except one. Huge props to them for that. Purdue got up big early and the Nittany Lions could have folded but they didn't so they deserve credit for that.

With all that said there were times when the ref's certainly keep PSU in the game, down the stretch there were multiple fouls that PSU got away with including a shot clock violation. Anyway Purdue ending up winning a game they needed to stay in the B10 race and I'm glad doesn't have anything more to do with that Penn State team until the BTT.

I realize I'm a Purdue fan but is there anyway JJ isn't the B10 POY right now. I know you could make a case of Sullinger but JJ has shown up for every game, dominated at times, and completely carried Purdue also.

As for the future of PSU hoops, they need to get rid of Ed. While he might be on quite a run right now I think he track record during his run in Happy Valley shows that he cannot put a consistently good product on the floor. If making the NCAA tourney every year is the baseline for success at Penn State, it's clear the current coaching staff wont' get them there.
The ball actually did graze the rim on that near shot clock violation that you referred to. That did start a stretch of pretty awful reffing though, including Battle driving across the lane with about 4 steps.

The ball actually did graze the rim on that near shot clock violation that you referred to. That did start a stretch of pretty awful reffing though, including Battle driving across the lane with about 4 steps.

I'll trust you, from where I was sitting I looked like an airball and everyone around me had the same thought. But those ref's were about 2 bad calls at important times from not making it out of Mackey tonight.

Well as the old adage goes you need to be 10 points better than your opponent if you're going to win on the road.

Penn State got boned but either way there's lots of parity in the conference this year.

j johnson

JJ is a very good college basketball player. His strength is a nice turnaround and a nice outside shot, and the ability to run the floor. He is very light and not very strong in the post however. At 6'10" and lucky to be 220 lbs he would have problems playing defense against pf or centers. He could match up with some taller and slower sf I guess. The outside shot is nice.

He isn't what the wolves need. They need a guard who can score and demand a double team and they need a very good defensive big guy. Not just a shot blocker like Darko but someone with athletisim to help out Love and Beasley, who will never be great defenisve players.

NBA scouts look at two major things:
1. Does a player have at least one NBA skill?
2. Can that player guard a position?

Battle's last chance.

You may be right about DeChellis, but one thing is certain... PSU is the biggest surprise in the bigten this year in my opinion. It's hard to not improve from what they did last year. Battle is the sickest player in the conference in my opinion. He has willed the team to do what they've done this year... He knows it's his last shot.

I'll trust you, from where I was sitting I looked like an airball and everyone around me had the same thought. But those ref's were about 2 bad calls at important times from not making it out of Mackey tonight.

That ball did just graze the rim - just barely. Good call.

The consensus on the rivals board is that the out of bounds call was 50/50 and that the home team and/or team with possession usually gets the call. Like I said, I've watched it in super slow mo and it's ridiculously close but the ball appears to be last touched by PSU. The refs obviously don't have the luxury of replay so you can't blame them either way. I still can't believe they left Johnson open though on the inbounds play. Survive and advance I guess.

Top Bottom