Medical Red shirt?

Jon

Reaction score
Kirkwood got a Medical red shirt for football any chance Mo can get one?

Per the University of Minnesota Athletic Department...

Kirkwood Granted Medical Hardship Waiver

University of Minnesota running back Donnell Kirkwood has been granted a
medical hardship waiver by the Big Ten Conference. Kirkwood’s participation
in the 2010 season will not count against him and he will have four seasons
of eligibility remaining.

“This is great news for Donnell and for our football program,” head coach
Jerry Kill said. “We’re happy for him and we appreciate all those who
assisted in getting the waiver approved.”

Kirkwood rushed for 107 yards on 27 carries, averaging 4.0 yards per carry,
early in the 2010 season before missing the remainder of the year with a leg
injury.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=352665#post352665

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I for one am shocked that this has not been addressed yet.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I for one am shocked that this has not been addressed yet.

Yes. I'm sure Mo won't be back this year and we haven't even heard if he is applying for a medical redshirt or not.

Kirkwood: The facts of his circumstances were well within Article 14.2.4.. in other words, not at all a surprise the conference would grant the additional year of competition... was expected.

Also, I hereby grant you all medical redshirts.

This has been discussed before. I believe 30% was a figure of importance. If a player played in more than 30% of the games he would not be eligible for a 'medical hardship' and would not be allowed to take a red shirt year. However, I just looked at Kirkwood stats and he played in 4 of the Football team 12 games or 33%. Tubby also mentioned that he was hoping for a medical hardship for Mo. Maybe the NCAA is getting a little more flexible on this rule.

On a separate note I heard there is a medical report on the possible long term negative affects of ACL surgery. The report indicated that ACL can be looked at as a short term fix but could result in knee replacement surgery 10 or 20 years later. Not sure where I heard it - so no link.

This has been discussed before. I believe 30% was a figure of importance. If a player played in more than 30% of the games he would not be eligible for a 'medical hardship' and would not be allowed to take a red shirt year. However, I just looked at Kirkwood stats and he played in 4 of the Football team 12 games or 33%. Tubby also mentioned that he was hoping for a medical hardship for Mo. Maybe the NCAA is getting a little more flexible on this rule.

On a separate note I heard there is a medical report on the possible long term negative affects of ACL surgery. The report indicated that ACL can be looked at as a short term fix but could result in knee replacement surgery 10 or 20 years later. Not sure where I heard it - so no link.

30%... it's 30% or 3 games, whichever is greater (so in FB and BBall it's 30%). I was thinking Kirkwood only played in 3 games, but you're right on the 4... however, I understand that NCAA rounds in a case such as 4/12 = 33% and considers 4/12 to meet the 30% requirement. Don't think there is any fuzzy math, even in the Minnesota public school systems, that could get Mo down to 30%.

Specifically, my understanding is that the 30% includes a 'rounding up'. So, the calculation in this case would be: .30 (max) X 12 (games) = 3.6. Round up to 4. (and even if was, say 3.3, you would still round up to 4 games).

ACL surgery... long term negative affects [sic] of surgery... would think so - seems to be long term negative effects of many surgeries. Amazing how far we've come with regard to medical procedures over the years though...

30%... it's 30% or 3 games, whichever is greater (so in FB and BBall it's 30%). I was thinking Kirkwood only played in 3 games, but you're right on the 4... however, I understand that NCAA rounds in a case such as 4/12 = 33% and considers 4/12 to meet the 30% requirement. Don't think there is any fuzzy math, even in the Minnesota public school systems, that could get Mo down to 30%.

ACL surgery... long term negative affects [sic] of surgery... would think so - seems to be long term negative effects of many surgeries. Amazing how far we've come with regard to medical procedures over the years though...

Thanks Warrior - somehow I thought you would have the details.

Also, the time I heard Tubby talk about an appeal for Mo - I admit by the sound of his voice he did not sound terribly optimistic.

Actually if the Gophers play 35 or more basketball games this season, the 12 that Mo played in would be 34.2% of the games, rounding down to 30%.

35 games = 12 nonconference games + 18 conference games + 3 Big Ten Tourney games + 2 NCAA Tourney games

Keep in mind that playing 3 Big Ten Tourney games only involves winning the first 2, likewise 2 NCAA Tourney games would mean simply advancing past the first round (please Tubby?).

But then this is essentially basing a player's eligibility on his team's post-season success, which doesn't really seem right.

But then this is essentially basing a player's eligibility on his team's post-season success, which doesn't really seem right.

I believe it only takes into consideration the regular season. The number is 30 games and that won't change.

Didn't Mo tear is PCL? According to gophersports.com "'Mo' Walker will miss the remainder of the 2010-11 season with a torn posterior cruciate ligament and meniscus. Walker suffered the injury on Dec. 23 against South Dakota State."

Similar injury to an ACL but involves different rehab and provides different challenges. This will likely hurt more doing lateral movements (shuffling on defense) than it will to push off and go forward/backwards. I have never had a PCL injury but I've torn my ACL and its a long process but I'm near 100% without the same level of rehab, doctors and motivation that Mo will have.

Actually if the Gophers play 35 or more basketball games this season, the 12 that Mo played in would be 34.2% of the games, rounding down to 30%.

35 games = 12 nonconference games + 18 conference games + 3 Big Ten Tourney games + 2 NCAA Tourney games

Keep in mind that playing 3 Big Ten Tourney games only involves winning the first 2, likewise 2 NCAA Tourney games would mean simply advancing past the first round (please Tubby?).

The rule is 30% of regular season games, not total games (including postseason).

So 30% of 30 games = 9 games (in this case).

Also, just a random thought about this topic, Mo might not want to be in school an extra year. I could see an extra year of school sounding unappealing to a young athlete. Unlikely, but just something that occurred to me.

Also, just a random thought about this topic, Mo might not want to be in school an extra year. I could see an extra year of school sounding unappealing to a young athlete. Unlikely, but just something that occurred to me.

:confused:

Generally speaking division one athletes spend more than 4 years in school. They are not encouraged/allowed to take full class loads due to the time demands of their sports. I would imagine that Mo is on the 5 year plan regardless, might as well play 4 years of hoops if possible.

This is not always true but I know in the Big 10 most athletic scholarships are for 5 years of school

Top Bottom