Cal has choice words for Terrence Jones

Everyone is reporting that Cal called Jones a MoFo last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0moTOcCAJI

Tubby did that job for 10 years. He won almost 75% of his games with multiple SEC championships. When he was rushed out, UK and its fans got what they deserved.
The 1st coach took Vodka to handle stress. Cal is taking prozac like M&M. This is to all those who wanted Tubby out: you can only dream about another final4. Cal will be gone in a couple of years also.

The year that Tubby was rushed out, UK was supposed to get Patterson, Green and Lucas. That team with Jasper and Meeks would have made so much noise in the country.

Instead, we will see that here in MN where people know the value of a good coach and a great human being.

Go Gophers

It also speaks poorly of Alabama that they had a 20-point lead at the 16-minute TV time out, only to have to hold on for dear life at the end.

Kentucky has a bunch of freshman, they are going to struggle and make mistakes. They will lose as many close ones as they win. That is what happens when you cycle in players every year.. They will be good but never great.

I didn't see Alabama build the lead but in the second half they did nothing offensively and then took desperation shots time after time. Their point guard reminded me of Nolen when he goes into one of his funcs and stands out front and dribbles the ball.

I think the pressure is getting to Cal. He got so much pressure to win every game, that he's literally going off the rails anytime they're about to lose.

That being said, no excuse for cussing out Jones like that on national TV. I'm sure his family didn't appreciate. I know coaches cuss and damn all the time, but do that in the locker room or even during a huddle, not on the floor when everyone can see and hear.

At some point -- probably in the very near future -- Kentucky fans won't be quite as enamored with one-and-dones if it doesn't translate to NCAA Tournament success, and in Lexington success is defined as Final Fours and championships. Individuals moving on to the NBA is great & everything, but if it comes without team success (read: titles), UK fans will get tired of the "freshman factory" pretty quick. Seems to me Cal has to find a way to build a team that isn't so reliant on young guns every season, find a way to have a nice blend with upperclassmen.

Oh .. and I'm waiting for " thetruth " to come and set us all straight.

At some point -- probably in the very near future -- Kentucky fans won't be quite as enamored with one-and-dones if it doesn't translate to NCAA Tournament success, and in Lexington success is defined as Final Fours and championships. Individuals moving on to the NBA is great & everything, but if it comes without team success (read: titles), UK fans will get tired of the "freshman factory" pretty quick. Seems to me Cal has to find a way to build a team that isn't so reliant on young guns every season, find a way to have a nice blend with upperclassmen.

Very true. maybe they'll ask Tubby to go back and recruit those inferior players again since they did so poorly during that 10 years.

Go Gophers

I think the pressure is getting to Cal. He got so much pressure to win every game, that he's literally going off the rails anytime they're about to lose.

That being said, no excuse for cussing out Jones like that on national TV. I'm sure his family didn't appreciate. I know coaches cuss and damn all the time, but do that in the locker room or even during a huddle, not on the floor when everyone can see and hear.

I watched most of this game last night - he was like a crazy person. Even the announcers kept commenting on it. Kentucky may come with a big payday and all the extras but if you are that stressed out that you cuss out a kid like that in front of everybody - maybe it's not worth it.

Tubby did that job for 10 years. He won almost 75% of his games with multiple SEC championships. When he was rushed out, UK and its fans got what they deserved.
The 1st coach took Vodka to handle stress. Cal is taking prozac like M&M. This is to all those who wanted Tubby out: you can only dream about another final4. Cal will be gone in a couple of years also.

The year that Tubby was rushed out, UK was supposed to get Patterson, Green and Lucas. That team with Jasper and Meeks would have made so much noise in the country.

Instead, we will see that here in MN where people know the value of a good coach and a great human being.

Go Gophers

Let's be fair. UK tried to rush Tubby out in 2001 but he left BY CHOICE in 2007. HIS choice.

Go Gophers

If I remember right if they fire him they have to pay every cent on his contract to buy him out. I don't know what kind of money the booster have but that's going to be a lot to get him out.

But more than that, this is UK's last shot. UK needs Cal more than Cal needs UK. If they run Cal out of town (I in no way think they will) who's going to take that job? The fan base has unrealistic demands, you can't win a title every other year any more.

They have no right to be shock now, he's doing what he did every else. I'm not going to talk about possible wrong doing with him; but he does work his ass off. He recruits better than anyone, and he's a shaky in game coach. He has always been this way, but one thing to think about is how long are the recruits going to come after they start talking about firing him.

I FEEL that this is what happened to Tubby's recruiting at the end. But they do sign different kids so it might not affect the kids at all because they are only saying 9 months.

If I remember right if they fire him they have to pay every cent on his contract to buy him out. I don't know what kind of money the booster have but that's going to be a lot to get him out.

But more than that, this is UK's last shot. UK needs Cal more than Cal needs UK. If they run Cal out of town (I in no way think they will) who's going to take that job? The fan base has unrealistic demands, you can't win a title every other year any more.

They have no right to be shock now, he's doing what he did every else. I'm not going to talk about possible wrong doing with him; but he does work his ass off. He recruits better than anyone, and he's a shaky in game coach. He has always been this way, but one thing to think about is how long are the recruits going to come after they start talking about firing him.

I FEEL that this is what happened to Tubby's recruiting at the end. But they do sign different kids so it might not affect the kids at all because they are only saying 9 months.

Agreed 100%. I meant that he would leave on his own. This was his dream job. He may have to find another dream job. He will have a bunch of 5-star players next year but can he match the talent that he had last year? The only Junior and senior players in his roster are the players from BCG years. He will have WWW to help him out finding players with one arm or leg who would stay on the bench for 4 years. Otherwise, joke called NCAA may fine him for graduation rate.

Go Gophers

I don't think I would call 10 years as being "rushed out"
Yes KY wants Final Fours and other than Tubby's 1st year he wasn't getting them either.
As for Tubby "suppose" to get Patterson, Lucas, & Green
Lucas signed with another school before Tubby left.
Patterson: Lets go to the source, Patterson is quoted as saying the he NEVER promised Tubby or anyone else
that he was going to UK before Billy Gillispie talked to him.
Therefore to say that Tubby WOULD HAVE HAD, Patterson, Lucas, and Green is pure speculation.

I know some have done their own "investigation" and have said that Cal will get UK in trouble.
If your hope is that Cal WILL do something then that may be an empty hope. He may or may not but until he
does it may just be wishful thinking. There is NO guarantee that he will do anything.
UK will be just fine. By comparison, during Tubby's last 2 years he lost 25 games and was not ranked by
the end of the season. UK is now ranked top 20 during a "down and rebuilding year "
All things considered I think anyone would have to agree that UK is in better shape now than
during the last 2 years of the Tubby tenure.

Before someone blows a gasket I will say now that I followed Tubby very closely for the 10
years he was in Lexington, Listened to all the pre-game, post game, etc. an met the man several times.
I will say now that I do think Tubby is a very fine person, mentor, and Father figure.
I do think his time at UK had worn out and he is better suited for Minn.
He is happy, the Minn fans are Happy, the UK fans are happy and it was a win win situation for
all parties when he became coach of the Gophers.

Zero percent chance Cal flames out or is fired at UK unless major NCAA violations are proven. Cal has a recruiting juggernaut at UK and while this season isn't the greatest, the "down years" such as this season aren't all that bad and the highs are in the same ballpark as what UK fans expect. Very few coaches in the nation can deliver on the highs that UK fans expect. The fallout to fielding a team filled with 1 & dones is having a season or two where you're not on top of the college basketball world. But as long as you can reload like Cal, you won't be down for long.

Yes KY wants Final Fours and other than Tubby's 1st year he wasn't getting them either.
Patterson: Lets go to the source, Patterson is quoted as saying the he NEVER promised Tubby or anyone else
Therefore to say that Tubby WOULD HAVE HAD, Patterson, Lucas, and Green is pure speculation.

I know some have done their own "investigation" and have said that Cal will get UK in trouble.
If your hope is that Cal WILL do something then that may be an empty hope. He may or may not but until he
does it may just be wishful thinking. There is NO guarantee that he will do anything.
UK will be just fine. By comparison, during Tubby's last 2 years he lost 25 games and was not ranked by
the end of the season. UK is now ranked top 20 during a "down and rebuilding year "
All things considered I think anyone would have to agree that UK is in better shape now than

Before someone blows a gasket I will say now that I followed Tubby very closely for the 10
years he was in Lexington, Listened to all the pre-game, post game, etc. an met the man several times.
I will say now that I do think Tubby is a very fine person, mentor, and Father figure.
He is happy, the Minn fans are Happy, the UK fans are happy and it was a win win situation for

Facts on the above:

Absolutely both Patterson and Lucas were headed to UK to play for Tubby. I asked both of their parents personally. I heard their replies with my own ears, firsthand.

Lucas signed with Florida in May 2007. Tubby left in March 2007. March comes before May.

Green COMMITTED to UK in early 2007.

Tubby Smith had 8 teams (out of 10) ranked in the Top 20 or better. That exceeds UK historical averages for Top 20 teams (since polls were first taken in 1949).

Indeed UK wears on any coach. Calipari will NOT last even 10 years.

I wonder when Cal will start bringing in more 4 * talent. I don't remember ever seeing this type of problem (too talented of recruiting classes).

Zero percent chance Cal flames out or is fired at UK unless major NCAA violations are proven. Cal has a recruiting juggernaut at UK and while this season isn't the greatest, the "down years" such as this season aren't all that bad and the highs are in the same ballpark as what UK fans expect. Very few coaches in the nation can deliver on the highs that UK fans expect. The fallout to fielding a team filled with 1 & dones is having a season or two where you're not on top of the college basketball world. But as long as you can reload like Cal, you won't be down for long.

Out of all the people, you should have been the last person to have a post about this topic. You saw what happened to OSU when your one-and-done players left a few years ago. You were fined by the NCAA and headed to NIT. Rebuilding will never happen at UK if he keeps the highway to NBA open. He brought one Juco player but couldn't keep around. I am not a fortune teller. Only time will tell what will happen the future of UK basketball.

Go Gophers

Calipari and Barnes should just move to the NBA development league and get it over with. I don't think you can beat Duke, Carolina, Syracuse, UConn, or MSU with freshmen heavy teams. He may come closer than I think, but he just has too many freshmen playing to devlop within a season.

Calipari and Barnes should just move to the NBA development league and get it over with. I don't think you can beat Duke, Carolina, Syracuse, UConn, or MSU with freshmen heavy teams. He may come closer than I think, but he just has too many freshmen playing to devlop within a season.

Couldn't agree more. Thanks you.

Go Gophers

I agree. The key to building a team is getting the top-tier talent, but not just top-tier talent, but getting some chemistry/four year guys as well. You can't win it all with a team sending five or six guys to the league every year, in my opinion.

No, it's much better to do this outside the watchful eyes of the media and general public. Then you are just labeled an "old school" coach and everyone loves you. :rolleyes:

Go Gophers

Lets not forget a National Championship...If I'm not allowed to berate my kids for fear of someone called the Law on me, I sure don't see what makes it ok for the non-parent...this kid is just that...a kid...they make mistakes...I for one hope Jones goes first round then dogs cal in the media for being a prick...Cal is loosing it.

Lets not forget a National Championship...If I'm not allowed to berate my kids for fear of someone called the Law on me, I sure don't see what makes it ok for the non-parent...this kid is just that...a kid...they make mistakes...I for one hope Jones goes first round then dogs cal in the media for being a prick...Cal is loosing it.

Thank you. I agree 100%. I left that out because I knew some of the Uk fans would come here and say that he did it with Pitino's players. After that championship, Jeff sheppard and cameron mills (wrong spelling maybe) had so much praise for Tubby.

I was in LA airport during the game against Duke that year. I was walking behind Jerry Tarkanian and his team trying to catch my flight. I heard him saying to someone on the phone that UK just beat Duke. I am not sure when in my life I have been happier than that.

I hope that we can beat those big teams again at MN.

Go Gophers

OMG here we go the "tubby didn't win a title with his own players crap"...Let me tell you something about UK basketball...they had a coach for 42 years that put his whole life into that program...it was special to him and he made it special to the fans...he had some down years (13-13) was his worst year...but the program was always in good hands. I lived there for much of my young life and that program is ALL some people in that state have to feel good about. The program was in good hands under Tubby too...he cared about the kids and was a class act all the way. I'm not saying he didn't get mad at the players or maybe not be as good to the media as other coaches...but Rupp did the same things and he was a GOD in Kentucky. Now the program is in the hands of a cheating maniac who treats these kids as if they are his personal whipping posts...come-on, this behavior can't be tolerated in this scenario because these kids are in school to get an education and they happen to be playing a GAME in order to pay for it. Yes the NBA is out there for the proffesional but these kids are still amateurs and should be treated as such...I for one would have to be making alot of money to let somebody talk to me that way...otherwise I'd punch them dead in the face multiple times...I'm glad our program is being run clean and with class...GO GOPHERS!

Out of all the people, you should have been the last person to have a post about this topic. You saw what happened to OSU when your one-and-done players left a few years ago. You were fined by the NCAA and headed to NIT. Rebuilding will never happen at UK if he keeps the highway to NBA open. He brought one Juco player but couldn't keep around. I am not a fortune teller. Only time will tell what will happen the future of UK basketball.

Go Gophers

OSU was fined? I must've missed that one. It's OK to make the NIT or be a low NCAA tourney seed occasionally at any school, even UK, IF you still manage to get Final Fours on a semi-regular basis. And while UK did not make the F4 last season, record-wise they were that type of team.

OSU was fined? I must've missed that one. It's OK to make the NIT or be a low NCAA tourney seed occasionally at any school, even UK, IF you still manage to get Final Fours on a semi-regular basis. And while UK did not make the F4 last season, record-wise they were that type of team.

Sorry, my bad, I thought they lost some scholarships because of low graduation rate. I agree about NIT. My point was the level of talent that stays behind when one-and-done players leave. OSU have got very lucky this year so far. I am not being so negative but I really don't think they make it to the final4 this year. They struggle against teams that play up tempo. Pretty much all the teams in the country except Big10 have that style. I hope they prove me wrong so we can be proud of our Big10 teams.

Go Gophers

They lost two scholarships last season due to the APR, which is determined by five years of performance - the loss of scholarships was mostly due to things that happened before 2007, when the program was transitioning from one coach to another & a lot of players were leaving.

Top Bottom