GopherHole DEBUT!! SelectionSunday: College Hoops Buzz Clips -- Give Me 5

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Editors Note: Long-time GopherHole readers know how incredible of a college basketball mind that "SelectionSunday" is. Few know the Gophers, the Big Ten and college basketball overall as well as him. His annual "who needs to win" cheat sheet for the Gophers' RPI has become legendary, his incredible ability to beat most paid "experts" picking the at-large NCAA tournament teams is well known and now SelectionSunday takes it to the next level with his College Hoops Buzz Clips column, featured exclusively at GopherHole.com. GopherHole challenges the masses to find a more informative and insightful regular college basketball column than SelectionSunday's "College Hoops Buzz Clips." This will be a more in-depth feature than his previous well-known posts and will be full of analysis, tid-bits, predictions and insight. GopherHole.com is lucky to call him our own.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1287

Awesome stuff Hodger and great pick up for GopherHole to have you elevating your column - just remember us when your fame takes off!!

How come my alma mater San Diego State didn't crack your "Top 5" surprises? I was happy to see Fisher get some love in your column and yea, the Aztecs were on the verge of the top 25 before the season, but no one saw 19-0! Crazy that my two alma maters are #2 and #6 in the polls right now, and my passion is #15!! Not a bad trio, hopefully the latter finishes the season with the best ranking!

Go Gophers!!

Wow! Lots of good information.

Interesting tidbit: Texas Tech has not won on the road yet this season. They look bad.

Awesome analysis SS!!!!

Couple questions:

Do you think Thompson at Georgetown is on the hot seat? I personally was surprised to not see him in the top 5.

Do you think Sparty is a lock at this point for the tourney? I just don't see it. There best win so far has to be the Gophs

My Christmas wish came...it was just a few weeks late! I'm so excited you're writing this column, SS....it's a treat for us all!

I love the questions already, you're like the Dr. Ruth for College hoops. Thank you!!! :)

Another question: Kansas is crushing Baylor. Which team is better Kansas or OSU?

GL stated "...you're like the Dr. Ruth for College hoops....

I have never seen SS relate every topic of College hoops to sex, like Dr. Ruth relates every subject to. Wow, GL, you fooled me!!! :)

p.s. Great job SS!

Go Gophers!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Great job by Selection Sunday and for Gopherhole.com combined. Way to see the talent and elevate it to a status we all know is well deserved. Thank you for the time you all take to keep us informed as fans. Great job to everyone.

Keep up the great work SS. You are a contender - Joe Lunardi is a pretender!

Good writing and excellent read SS. I like how you noticed the TM high-five too - that was classy.

SS left out John Pelphrey at Arkansas as a coach on the hot seat. The Arkansas program is a serious malaise right now. They can't even win in a horrible SEC West division. He actually was supposed to have been fired last season, but the AD gave him another year to prove himself. He's a goner unless they make the tourney.

Excellent article, loved it. Always been one of my favorite posters on here!

Sparty

Well done, Hodger! You are growing into your rightful place on this board.

It's early, but I have to say I am shocked at the thumbs down on the Spartans, not even putting them in the top 5 of the Big Ten, despite two OT wins last week. We'll just see what happens in March, but if I was a Spartan fan, I would be pleased with where they are right now, given all they have gone through. There is time to improve, and they are traditionally great March team. My take is that they have survived some scares and are ready to move forward. Still disappointed we couldn't take advantage of the slide on New Year's Eve, though.

well done

Thanks SS. A great read.

Great job Hodger. I will eagerly await your next column. Can we also hope for a Minnesota Golf column in the offseason??

Thanks for the kind words and questions. I think one thing we can do moving forward is to direct specific questions to my PM. I'll try to answer most of 'em as part of another column, have a mailbag, so to speak.

To answer the questions presented here, my quick answers. ...

1. Because San Diego State was in the top 25, I'm not entirely surprised by what they're doing. But I agree, who saw this start coming for the Aztecs?
2. I don't think JT III is on the heat seat at Georgetown. ... nowhere near it.
3. Sparty is not a lock for the tournament at this point (not many teams are), but I have no doubt they'll make it.
4. I'll take Kansas over Ohio State. KU is deeper and two big-guy studs (Morris twins) is greater than one (Sullinger). Would love to see the matchup, though.

Great job SS and I like your Pitt pick right now. They again are tough as nails on D and is there another team in the country that takes and makes more mid-range shots than the Panthers?

Pitt is Pitt, Sal, as you and I have discussed before. This does look like perhaps their most talented, versatile team, and that's saying something.

SS, as always, I enjoy your insight and contributions. Great work, and I look forward to the next issue. I usually don't pay much attention to the East, but I'm impressed with Lavin's first year at St John's. What is your take?

Lav is doing a nice job in his first year, and I'm glad to see it. In fairness to Norm Roberts, Lav inherited an experienced bunch of seniors. Lavin is the first to admit that, too, just as Tubby has credited Monson for his inheriting of Coleman, McKenzie and Tollackson (not to mention incoming recruits Al & Blake) for his first year in 'Sota.

I think the Johnnies will end up being a middle of the road Big East team & likely make the tournament. Too offensively challenged to go far, though.

A long overdue addition to the regular rotation of writers at the GopherHole, a great read as always from you. . .as with Bleed, I'll be making claims of "I knew him when. . ." at some point in the future :)

Excellent read, SS. One thing I really agree with on the surprise front is Missouri State. When last I checked, they are undefeated in the MVC, including an away win over the team in second place, Wichita State. Do you think they will end up taking the conference?

Great job. Glad to see this info get elevated in status.

Like this, but I especially like the 5 Streams of Consciousness at the end. Gotta keep that feature all the time.

Like this, but I especially like the 5 Streams of Consciousness at the end. Gotta keep that feature all the time.

I like the info, anything that makes me pause to remember Brad Childress isn't all good though.

I'm starting to think that John Beilein's name might belong on the Hot Seat list. I know that he's a good coach but things have not gone well for him so far in Ann Arbor...except against the Gophs. A longer leash than Rich Rod, but certainly a warmer seat is warranted.

Pat Knight is a dead man walking.

Top Bottom