Gophers jump to 15th in the AP

I see West Virginia is ranked now, hopefully they continue to play well.

Highest ranked 4 loss team in the country. That's some respect for the early gauntlet of our B1G schedule.

Given all the turmoil they have to deal with, I think it is a little high, Maybe 18-20 would be appropriate, but they should be there.

Conference Breakdown is pretty remarkable:

Big East: 9
Big 10: 6
Big 12: 4
Mountain West: 2
ACC: 1
SEC: 1
Pac 10: 1

WCC: 1

Conference Breakdown is pretty remarkable:

Big East: 9
Big 10: 6
Big 12: 4
Mountain West: 2
ACC: 1
SEC: 1
Pac 10: 1

WCC: 1

Those are some crazy numbers. Not sure I thought I'd ever live to see any poll with only 1 ACC team in it. It is also crazy how far the Pac 10 has fallen. Arizona hasn't been good in several years and UCLA is off the map. USC had a couple decent years, but no continuity. There is no doubt the Big East is the top conference for about the 5th year in a row...

Those are some crazy numbers. Not sure I thought I'd ever live to see any poll with only 1 ACC team in it. It is also crazy how far the Pac 10 has fallen. Arizona hasn't been good in several years and UCLA is off the map. USC had a couple decent years, but no continuity. There is no doubt the Big East is the top conference for about the 5th year in a row...

Amazingly, SS still shows the ACC and SEC getting 5 teams in and the Pac 10 getting 4. So they're not totally awful, but clearly not many 'good' teams. Also, all 3 of these conferences have several 'bad' teams. The Big 10 only really seems to have 1, our southern neighbors. I wonder how many games PSU, Michigan or even IU could win in the ACC, SEC or Pac 10? I'm guessing quite a few.

This is the year when the window is open for a top 3 conference finish and reservations for the 2nd week of the tournament. We are in the 2nd tier of teams behind Ohio State. I'm going to be disappointed if we finish worse than 3rd or 4th and don't get a tournament victory. Nolen and Hoffarber will be gone and who knows if Mbwake comes back if he thinks he can crack an NBA roster.

Devoe Joseph and Royce White really screwed up the big plan of competing with Ohio State and aiming to be a team playing for at least a 3 seed.

Devoe Joseph and Royce White really screwed up the big plan of competing with Ohio State and aiming to be a team playing for at least a 3 seed.

So said Andy Katz in his blog this morning as well-

It's a shame that Minnesota won't have a complete roster this season. The Golden Gophers had a real shot to win the Big Ten had they avoided controversy. The injury to Mo Walker was unavoidable, but he would have provided plenty of beef to a solid inside game. He had five fouls to toss at Jared Sullinger of Ohio State but didn't get the chance. Devoe Joseph's apparent selfish play of wanting more shots, according to the Gophers' staff, hurts this team's offensive versatility even if it might help in the locker room. And it's unfortunate that Trevor Mbakwe has put himself into trouble again. Even though the Facebook message was harmless in its verbiage, there was still a restraining order about contacting the woman in question. Mbakwe was released from his brief jail stint earlier in the week and returned to help the Gophers beat Purdue in a thrilling affair. But the image damage was done and he will now have to work to get it back. The Gophers nearly won at Ohio State without Joseph and Walker. Nearly every Gopher game is close. And there are plenty to go. But this team probably won't reach its full potential of what was projected in the preseason due to the myriad of distractions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/21254/thoughts-from-the-week-that-was

[/QUOTE]So said Andy Katz in his blog this morning as well[/QUOTE]

It has been hard for some of us to stomach the baggage around the program. The local talent pool has improved so much in the past 20 years and took more steps forward at the end of Clem's tenure and into Monson's time. There isn't another program in state to compete with for keeping kids home and we have a coach who can get a Ralph Sampson and Andre Hollins.

I see what this program could be and am not surprised that Tubby Smith would think he could win here sooner than in Ann Arbor where he'd have to compete with Tom Izzo for the best local talent. That is why feeling like we are stuck in neutral at times and no better than we were two years ago is hard to accept.

But this team probably won't reach its full potential...

Everybody knows this, everybody believes this, everybody anticipates this. Which isn't good.

I can't help but think the polls are a bit lopsided right now ... The ACC-Big Ten challenge is proof enough.

The acc big ten challenge is one game and more about matchups then which conference is better and what conference should have more teams. It provides a little snapshot, but you can hardly use it to say that the acc is very close to the big ten because the challenge was close. Is Virginia a better team than minnesota? Probably not.

Devoe Joseph and Royce White really screwed themselves by being selfish and stupid. They BOTH could have been a big contributing part of something special, but they chose to care more about the ME syndrome than the TEAM syndrome.

Live and Learn, Devoe and Royce!!!!!!!!!!! Now, get lost.

It helps to beat a ranked team on national TV. I guess the AP writers finally got to see the Gophers for themselves. That explains the jump. If we have to lose, I prefer it be on BTN...:p

Top Bottom