Reseating

GopherJake

Reaction score
Per GopherSports.com January 3, 2011:

"University of Minnesota Athletics officials issued an update regarding plans for the expansion of Preferred Seating to both men’s basketball and men’s hockey season ticket holders today.
The plan, which will involve reseating both Williams Arena and Mariucci Arena prior to the 2012-13 seasons, is not yet finalized."

STUDENTS AND OTHER CONCERNED PARTIES (those of you complaining about the atmosphere at The Barn, that is you):

Want students along the sideline or to be situated in more than just one, single location? Want old people kicked out of the building? Want caskets and embalming fluid given away instead of scratch-off tickets? This is your cue.

There is not much time left - it will be finalized this spring. Who will lead a charge to Maturi's office? Anyone?

Per GopherSports.com January 3, 2011:

"University of Minnesota Athletics officials issued an update regarding plans for the expansion of Preferred Seating to both men’s basketball and men’s hockey season ticket holders today.
The plan, which will involve reseating both Williams Arena and Mariucci Arena prior to the 2012-13 seasons, is not yet finalized."

STUDENTS AND OTHER CONCERNED PARTIES (those of you complaining about the atmosphere at The Barn, that is you):

Want students along the sideline or to be situated in more than just one, single location? Want old people kicked out of the building? Want caskets and embalming fluid given away instead of scratch-off tickets? This is your queue.

There is not much time left - it will be finalized this spring. Who will lead a charge to Maturi's office? Anyone?
Students along the sideline would be great.

Students along the sideline would be great.

I agree, but with the seating configuration at Williams, there would be a problem for those who wish to sit (actually sit) behind them. It would be quite the PR feat to convince those with the largest donation requirement that they will be seated behind the students who stand the whole game.

I agree, but with the seating configuration at Williams, there would be a problem for those who wish to sit (actually sit) behind them. It would be quite the PR feat to convince those with the largest donation requirement that they will be seated behind the students who stand the whole game.[/QUOTE

make the student section the whole baseline-- move the band to the corner a little more.

I agree, but with the seating configuration at Williams, there would be a problem for those who wish to sit (actually sit) behind them. It would be quite the PR feat to convince those with the largest donation requirement that they will be seated behind the students who stand the whole game.

Yeah, it's not going to happen, but we can dream! :p

How about that area of benches on the baseline...filter the students down there. Aren't those the seats that the players get tickets for to give away (that's where a lot of the alumni were sitting yesterday). Move the students from the rear down there and move those people in back.

BTW, that section is fairly young. Non-students and doesn't stand much either.

email addresses for marketing and events people

If you want to forward any ideas...the email should go to the events and marketing department assoiciates per Maturi...email addresses are:

[email protected]
[email protected] (Jason)

I forwarded the idea about moving the band to the corner, ending the PA commercials during the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game and adding student plus ticket packages for first and second year graduates and split season ticket packages for 3-5th year graduates to get some continuity from in school to post school season ticket holders...help to bring some youth back to our ticket base and get our alumni started early on supporting our teams. I suggested this for all sports...not just basketball.

If you don't pass along your ideas...then you can't really bitch if they don't make changes.

If you don't pass along your ideas...then you can't really bitch if they don't make changes.

Exactly. Nice work. Come on students. Get organized. Do something. You are the ones saying 'old people suck,' so put your money where your mouth is.

Here are a couple other points of contact:

Gopher Fan Relations (there is a 'Feedback' form you can fill out and submit:
--------------------
http://www.gopherfanrelations.com/

Gopher Points:
-------------
Email: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/gopherpoints
www.twitter.com/gopherpoints

This from the Gopher Points Office in reply to my e-mail:

------------------------------------------------------

Hello:

I am a Gopher b-ball ticket holder. Can you tell me, are there any plans to relocate the students at all? Or will they remain exactly where they are?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail. At this point in time, there are no plans
to relocate the student section in Williams Arena. We do not
anticipate moving them.

Kileigh
Gopher Points Office

Move the damn band...I remember going to a game with my bro back in about 2001ish, and the student section was the whole baseline, we had seats right next to the floor and could actually make a larger impact on the opposing team. Now the student only have a sliver of court-side seats and the band gets a majority of the baseline. Shift the band somewhere else so that the students can be as close to the action as possible!!!!!!

I remember going to a game with my bro back in about 2001ish, and the student section was the whole baseline, we had seats right next to the floor and could actually make a larger impact on the opposing team. Now the student only have a sliver of court-side seats and the band gets a majority of the baseline.

False on all accounts. In the time period of the game you went do the band was where the students are now, and the students had the section directly underneath the hoop.

Now the only thing that has changed is that the band and students in the front middle section has swaped. There is still an entire section of non-band seats to their left on the baseline. The band has basically as much baseline seating as the students.

What really hurts the student seating and their effect IMO are all the "reserved" seats to the left of the band. These seats are reserved for other Gopher athletes, recruits & their families, and God knows who else. They should move the band there, move the students back underneath the basket, and find somewhere else for the reserved seats. 75% of the people sitting there don't even care about the game.

Another exchange--

------------------------------
My e-mail:
------------------------------

Thanks for the reply, Kileigh.

If fans want to voice their opinions on this, who should they contact?

There is a lot of sentiment among core fans to try to get the students more involved as they are the lifeblood of enthusiasm in the building. Several folks have suggested relocating the band and the reserved section of seats to the left of the band and allowing the students to occupy the entire baseline. There are many other suggestions as well.

Can you tell me where these concerns should be directed?

Thanks so much!

-------------------------------------
Response

You can direct your concerns to this e-mail address and I'll be sure
to pass them along to the appropriate parties.

My e-mail

Thank you for the quick reply. Would you consider this a set-in-stone issue (student location)? In other words, would folks be beating a dead horse by voicing their concerns or is this something that is potentially on-the-table?

Thanks again.

Response

Not a problem. The plan seems pretty set-in-stone to leave
the student section as-is. Suggestions will be taken however.

Kileigh

I wish....

...that they could find a way to carve out 10-12 rows of bench seating on the long side of the court on the side opposite the player benches and then put the rest of the students in the adjacent corner. Then tear out two rows of seating and make a long walking aisle above the students so that their standing doesn't interfere with the first rows of chairs. As part of that plan put a small press section above the students or put the press up in the balcony. That way they could make another student row where the press currently sits. I'm a 20+ year ticket holder so it might hurt my location a bit - but so what. I just think it would be great for the crowd atmosphere to have the students on the long side. When you see this on TV it gives the illusion that the whole place is just rocking the whole game long.

I know there's no way....

God forbid...get a new arena that has a much higher revenue ceiling...oh yeah, and a practice facility and all the extras...like TCF. New, but didn't lose contact with the feel and sense of the old.

Start the name calling and ranting again....

Edit: And yes I am high right now...so that may actually be an reason for this post...but probably not. : \

It's a shame they're going to waste millions on a practice facility when it should have been built as part of a complex with a brand new basketball arena. Now that would've been spectacular. Money wise and recruiting wise. Now they're just going to drop the practice facility in a parking lot and the rest of us are stuck with a 90 year old arena.

God forbid...get a new arena that has a much higher revenue ceiling...oh yeah, and a practice facility and all the extras...like TCF. New, but didn't lose contact with the feel and sense of the old.

Edit: And yes I am high right now...so that may actually be an reason for this post...but probably not. : \

I'm against drug use but I somewhat understand based on your location. As WC Field's tommbstone reads- "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." :)

On what?:cool02:

So it sounds like we've got a "we value your input, in the sense that we read it but won't do anything about it" situation. Disappointing. It's this line of thinking that's the problem.

So it sounds like we've got a "we value your input, in the sense that we read it but won't do anything about it" situation. Disappointing. It's this line of thinking that's the problem.

I can see moving the free seats for student athletes and recruits, and giving the student section the whole baseline. But it is NOT feasible or practical to move the student section into the chairback seating areas. Never going to happen, and the U would be stupid to ever do it. So lets just stop b!tching about this.

...that they could find a way to carve out 10-12 rows of bench seating on the long side of the court on the side opposite the player benches and then put the rest of the students in the adjacent corner

They wouldn't need nearly this many seats. 2-4 rows would be plenty to change the entire atmosphere of the building. Plus, it should be on the player's side, as that plays much better on TV. They should also switch the band and student section, so students are directly behind the basket. Band would get plenty of TV time, even after the switch.

I just think it would be great for the crowd atmosphere to have the students on the long side. When you see this on TV it gives the illusion that the whole place is just rocking the whole game long.

Yes, the same illusion that occurs in other venues that has duped many students here into thinking we have the worst 'old people' fans in the nation and has been voiced on this board ad nauseum.

Then tear out two rows of seating and make a long walking aisle above the students so that their standing doesn't interfere with the first rows of chairs.

Good idea. Since the floor is raised, I'll bet a couple rows removed would do it.

I know there's no way....

Never say never. But they won't do it, unless it is demanded. If nobody speaks up, it will definitely not happen.

Maybe. But the athletic department has ears. So, awag, I would suggest to you to lead the charge. Organize your Barnyard folks. Make some noise about this. Come up with a reasonable plan. Create a petition, have an e-mail barrage.

If you don't do anything, then you have no right to complain. Will you do it? Please?

I can see moving the free seats for student athletes and recruits, and giving the student section the whole baseline. But it is NOT feasible or practical to move the student section into the chairback seating areas. Never going to happen, and the U would be stupid to ever do it. So lets just stop b!tching about this.

I've talked about this in a hypothetical sense, but I know it's not realistic. Never have thought so.

Maybe. But the athletic department has ears. So, awag, I would suggest to you to lead the charge. Organize your Barnyard folks. Make some noise about this. Come up with a reasonable plan. Create a petition, have an e-mail barrage.

If you don't do anything, then you have no right to complain. Will you do it? Please?

Will do some poking around when I go on the Barnyard Trip to Michigan.

Will do some poking around when I go on the Barnyard Trip to Michigan.

Cool. I'm an 'old person,' but I'm all for it. But nothing will happen without the door being pounded on repeatedly.

Keep us appraised.

I totally understand the benefits of a new arena. But I love The Barn too much. It would take a very special design to make we ok with seeing The Barn go. So no name calling. Just holding my breath and pouting until you come to your senses. ;)

Top Bottom