We need a Gaurd to replace devoe in 2011-12

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
There are plenty on the board, jucos, and unsigned seniors. for instance, todd mayo anybody? brother of O.J. lives in germantown (austin's hometown) when not at prep school, brother plays for austin's dad, andre is coming from memphis. you get the idea, many possible connections, and we need a scorer/ballhandler for next year. why can't/shouldnt we get mayo?

Mav, Andre H, Austin H, Chip and Coleman aren't enough guards? I'd rather use the opening for a Damian Johson type, long/athletic that can hit a mid range jumper.

Austin, chip coleman arent ballhandlers, and when maverick is one of the 2 ballhandlers on your team, i get a little scared. none of these guys save andre are "scorers" who can get their own shot, chip can but again he cant shoot. Mayo=connections, deep range, ball handling, scoring mentality, my college comparison is jordan crawford. i know theres prolly no way this happens, but i like to entertain the thought. the point is scarce, i just want a 3rd ballhanlding option just in case.

Mav, Andre H, Austin H, Chip and Coleman aren't enough guards? I'd rather use the opening for a Damian Johson type, long/athletic that can hit a mid range jumper.

The Gophers have 5 guards for 2012. The extra scholarship may go to a forward like Walter Pitchford.

The Gophers have 5 guards for 2012. The extra scholarship may go to a forward like Walter Pitchford.

But can any of them take over the starting point guard spot? I'm a little worried with the possibility of having a true frosh and Mav as our two point guards next season. I'd be fine with a Juco kid coming in if Tubby feels the need.

Saying you don't need another back-up PG because you have Austin, Chip and Joe Coleman is a bit like saying the Steelers don't need a back-up QB because they have Hines Ward and Antwan Randal-El. Just because they can play the position in an emergency, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Bottom-line is that currently the Gophers will have a true freshman and an over-his-head sophmore at PG. If Andre is not fully up to the task, it could sink the whole team, even though we may have the deepest front-court in America. That is not a good position to be in. I think they desperately need a Juco-PG who can serve as the calming influence when needed.

Saying you don't need another back-up PG because you have Austin, Chip and Joe Coleman is a bit like saying the Steelers don't need a back-up QB because they have Hines Ward and Antwan Randal-El. Just because they can play the position in an emergency, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Bottom-line is that currently the Gophers will have a true freshman and an over-his-head sophmore at PG. If Andre is not fully up to the task, it could sink the whole team, even though we may have the deepest front-court in America. That is not a good position to be in. I think they desperately need a Juco-PG who can serve as the calming influence when needed.

Actually we could use a PG to replace Devoe THIS year.

Amazing how many "coaches" there are here on GopherHole.

Ahanmisi is hitting 42% from 3-pt FG and 85% FT with 1-1 ATO in about 10 minutes PT per game. Great, no. Decent, yes. Improvement potential, yes.

Andre Hollins will be the starting PG and a very good one next year.

Ahanmisi is hitting 42% from 3-pt FG and 85% FT with 1-1 ATO in about 10 minutes PT per game. Great, no. Decent, yes. Improvement potential, yes.

Neither are certainties, and even if they are, we are one injury/transfer/other drama away from having no back-up. On a 13-man roster, there should always be at least 3 PG's, don't you think?

Would be cool to see Todd Mayo play for the Gophers, but I highly doubt Tubby would even think about recruiting him. Many feel he won't be eligible to play college basketball.

I have been wondering this same think as of late. I am curious to the boards thoughts on a PG by committee type of situation if we dont go out and get another lead guard. I think I remember some teams having success with this philosophy. Tennessee comes to mind right away. I think we need a shooting forward much more than we need another guard. That said I have little knowledge of the types of games that oto and halverson will bring next year.

Forget stats. When Iowa turned up the pressure Mav buckled! Blake had to run PG while Al took a well deserved break. I don't think Mav will be able to cut it in B10 play. SDSU, maybe. We need another ball-handler badly. Should be first priority. Why would we need a SF? Isn't Oto supposed to be the next coming?

Forget stats. When Iowa turned up the pressure Mav buckled! Blake had to run PG while Al took a well deserved break. I don't think Mav will be able to cut it in B10 play. SDSU, maybe. We need another ball-handler badly. Should be first priority. Why would we need a SF? Isn't Oto supposed to be the next coming?

As I said, he's decent. He has potential to improve.

No one ever said Oto was the second coming of anything.

Neither are certainties, and even if they are, we are one injury/transfer/other drama away from having no back-up. On a 13-man roster, there should always be at least 3 PG's, don't you think?

I like 5 forwards, 3 centers, and 5 guards as a decent balance among 13 roster spots.

FOT - do you watch the games or just look at the box scores? Serious question.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Mav's solid. He looks a bit over his head right now.

Mav

I think Mav needs to work on his ball handling at times he doesnt handle ball pressure very well. He doesnt look smooth handling the ball.

Unless it was an immediate impact player I don't see the value in bringing in another guard. I would have to guess that Ahamissi and the Andre Hollins will share point guard next year. They will just have to perform like veterans.

Original plan?

What was Tubby's plan even if Devoe stayed? He was okay at the point, but that was never his best position, was it?
I think that's one other thing that bothers me about this predicament. A lot of people say these players have to play Tubby's way or hit the road. Wasn't that made clear during recruitment?? What's Tubby doing bringing in players that won't go by his rules?
On the flip side, I can see Maverick improving his ballhandling and doing much better next year. -Just a freshman in the Big10. Give him time.

What was Tubby's plan even if Devoe stayed? He was okay at the point, but that was never his best position, was it?
I think that's one other thing that bothers me about this predicament. A lot of people say these players have to play Tubby's way or hit the road. Wasn't that made clear during recruitment?? What's Tubby doing bringing in players that won't go by his rules?
On the flip side, I can see Maverick improving his ballhandling and doing much better next year. -Just a freshman in the Big10. Give him time.

What if Mav doesn't improve his ballhandling? We're stuck with a freshman PG and no back up.

If our PG options are limited to Andre Hollins and Mav next year, we will be in trouble. Not to say that Mav couldn't improve, but he has a LONG way to go before even being considered ready to run this team and I don't see it happening anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong...

I don't think anyone is suggesting showing Mav the door. But we need to have another option besides a player who would have to improve a lot just to be average and a true freshman.

I agree with most in this thread, the Gophers badly need to sign a (hopefully experienced) TALENTED point guard for next year. The ideal player is a JUCO who can run the point and has a scorers mentality. The Gophers could have a ton of experience in the frontcourt next season and it would be a shame to combine the senior years of Ralph, Colton and Trevor (crossing fingers) with an inexperienced backcourt.

I just don't think that Mav has a very high ceiling. It's hard to improve athletic ability. I think he'll always struggle for the most part when a quick pg plays him really tight because he can't really get around anyone with his first step. He'll be a decent backup but hopefully it never gets to the point where he has to log huge minutes.

Do you commentors really think Tubby doesn't know what he needs? Do you really think that what you see, as know-it-all experts is gonna bring us a National Championship? Holy Jesus Martha. College Basketball is not able to go get some Free Agent and get him into the fray. "I think...", "..I don't think..." "He this..." "He can't that..." Good Grief.

To be honest, several of you sound like frustrated jocks who could never cut the mustard but know everything.

Now...UNLOAD ON THE DOC!!!

Do you commentors really think Tubby doesn't know what he needs? Do you really think that what you see, as know-it-all experts is gonna bring us a National Championship? Holy Jesus Martha. College Basketball is not able to go get some Free Agent and get him into the fray. "I think...", "..I don't think..." "He this..." "He can't that..." Good Grief.

To be honest, several of you sound like frustrated jocks who could never cut the mustard but know everything.

Now...UNLOAD ON THE DOC!!!

“Don’t waste your time trying to get into my head. There's nothing there.”- Denny Crane, Boston Legal

Wants to play football somewhere else.

That's not true. I was told that tubby informed allen that he didn't need him cause he had enough guards.
Part of reason he came to the gophers was based on the idea of playing 4 tubby. He spoke with him before
Coming only 2 be told thanks but no thanks! He is currently at a new college practicing with b ball team now.

Top Bottom