Armelin

bga1

Reaction score
Is it just me or do a lot of good things happen when he is on the floor? Today 2 great assists in 4 total minutes. He did miss two shots but one of them was a play that is just what you want to see a guard make. He drove baseline and then pulled up for a floating Bobby Jackson 8 footer. The shot didn't go but what a thing of beauty. I for one wish Tubby would give the kid 15 minutes a game. He has the proactive, fearless side to him that this team seems to lack in its bad stretches. He's not a great shooter yet but he's a player and he brings energy.

Good win today. Not always pretty but a nice win.

Is it just me or do a lot of good things happen when he is on the floor? Today 2 great assists in 4 total minutes. He did miss two shots but one of them was a play that is just what you want to see a guard make. He drove baseline and then pulled up for a floating Bobby Jackson 8 footer. The shot didn't go but what a thing of beauty. I for one wish Tubby would give the kid 15 minutes a game. He has the proactive, fearless side to him that this team seems to lack in its bad stretches. He's not a great shooter yet but he's a player and he brings energy.

Good win today. Not always pretty but a nice win.

Totally agree and I gave the "15 minute" wish comment tonight as well as I was watching the game. I like what he brings to the team, he absolutely makes things happen when he's out there and he is aggressive. I think he has a lot of potential and I'm willing to put up with a few of his ill-advised shots due to what else he brings to the team.

Go Gophers!!

I'm with you guys. I think that as he develops and matures, he's the kind of guy that will be able to take the game into his hands, and be a go-to guy. Very impressed with what I've seen from him, and Hollins as well.

Hopefully he is a gym rat and works on his jump shot. Lots of nice minutes though for him. Who's minutes do you take away though?

Anyone else see a little Vince Grier in his game? Not trying to compare the two, just the left hand and somewhat awkward shots he takes sometimes...

Hopefully he is a gym rat and works on his jump shot. Lots of nice minutes though for him. Who's minutes do you take away though?

Ralph or Rodney.

My favorite lineup to see for 5 10 minutes a game would be: Mbakwe, Rodney, Hoff, Chip and Nolen. High octane. Rodney could score from the 4 spot.

I'd definitely like to see Chip get more minutes, especially when we're settling for jumpshots and struggling to score. He seems to always be able to create something.

I've been wondering all year why rodney hasn't played any 4. Plain and simple he needs to be getting the ball closer to the hoop where his ability to rise above defenders should shine. He's clearly not a jump shooter so it seems pointless forcing into playing a wing position. He would be way quicker than opposing power forwards and would be able to take them off them off the dribble much easier than trying to do the same against quicker wing players. Having a beast like trevor makes up for the lack of rebounding and strength (even though rodney is a pretty good rebounder )

Anyone else see a little Vince Grier in his game? Not trying to compare the two, just the left hand and somewhat awkward shots he takes sometimes...

Vince is my favorite Gopher of all time. It's just crazy what he was able to do with absolutely no jump shot or absolutely no right hand. I definitely see some of him in Chip. The natural athletic ability and the skill to get to the rim no matter what his limitations are because of his athletic ability. Also he has an insane ability to finish at the rim no matter what kind of contact or defense he sees which I really don't see from anyone else on the team. I think the kid is going to be a damn good player. If you can finish like that at the college level you are going to be able to score.

Ralph or Rodney.

My favorite lineup to see for 5 10 minutes a game would be: Mbakwe, Rodney, Hoff, Chip and Nolen. High octane. Rodney could score from the 4 spot.

Agreed 100%.

Go Gophers

Count me in

as one who believes Chip should get at least 5 min more PT per game. Also, Hollins is much more productive on the court than Williams and presents at least a threat of a 3-pt shot. He should get more minutes too.

more productive than williams. haha. rodney is the 2nd best rebounder on our team regardless of position

more productive than williams. haha. rodney is the 2nd best rebounder on our team regardless of position

Haha? Let's look at production per minute.

Points Rodney- .29 pts per minute
Chip .38
Reb. Rodney- .15 rebs per min
Chip .15
Steals Rodney .02 steals per minute
Chip .035
Assists Both at .15 per minute

Turnovers
Rodney .07
Chip .06

Blocks are the only category that Rodney exceeds Chip in per minute production,. Neither are hitting threes- Chips at least appear to be closer :)

But I wouldn't take Rodneys minutes away- I'd look elsewhere.

well thats great, what it doesnt account for is freshman mistakes and bad shots if chip was getting 30 mins a game, also, can chip hold etwaan moore and harrison barnes to under 15 pts combined?

well thats great, what it doesnt account for is freshman mistakes and bad shots if chip was getting 30 mins a game, also, can chip hold etwaan moore and harrison barnes to under 15 pts combined?

Very good points. We can also add that huge block at the end of Purdue's game to what Rodney does.

Go Gophers

Rodney is great to have on the floor - I wouldn't change that, nor would I give Chip 30 minutes either. It's a gradual process. I'd enjoy seeing 15 minutes of him to see what he can do. Maybe he'd mess it up. I think he might do some things we need energy-wise.

I don't think we always have to have a big lineup in there so I don't see Rodney and Chip as an either or situation. Tubby subs Armelin almost exclusively for Hoff and that's why Armelin so rarely hits the floor. I'd like to see Tubby mix it up a little more- that's all. This isn't about one player versus another, it's about seeing if we can get 40 minutes of high energy ball from our squad.

One more thing- if a guy sees 5 minutes a game he's more likely to force a shot thinking he's got to make something happen. At 15 mins I think you'd see his shots per minute go down. His shot frequency would be a bigger concern to me if he wan't also getting nice assists and shooting overall at a good percentage.

The key is that the frosh are getting some experience.

We whine about it early in the season when the freshmen look overmatched, but it is starting to pay off. Not as many glaring mistakes and they are starting to figure out how to play within themselves and within the system. None of the freshmen will log lots of minutes this year, but it will really pay off next year when Nolen and Hoff are gone. It looks like all three (plus Mo, if he returns healthy) can be solid contributors next year.

If tubby would play Blake at point a little more often, we could see some more playing time out of Chip. Mav just isn't ready yet.

If tubby would play Blake at point a little more often, we could see some more playing time out of Chip. Mav just isn't ready yet.

I really like this idea. I like to see Blake at point more often. My favorite lineup is: Travor, Blake, Rodney, Austin, and Chip. I mean in case Al has too many fouls or other reasons.

Go Gophers

I am not saying this as any sort of knock on Hollins (because he has been impressive as well), but Armelin has that quality that I don't get nervous when he has the ball, even though he plays at a fast pace.

I agree with the previous two posters, I would love to see a backcourt of Armelin and Hoff when Nolen has to sit. I just don't think Mav is 100% ready in big games. I will say this about Mav, I think he will end up a very good defensive PG, but yeah, I don't really feel comfortable with him in during tight games at this point in his career.

Extremely Athletic Team

You can just see that Armelin is extremely athletic. The only thing holding him back is playing time. Tubby did the same thing to Rodney last year, so I'm sure there are things Chip is working on to ensure he gets more time on the court. There will be 70+minutes available at the guard position next year when Hoff and Nolen leave. Putting Chip on the court with Rodney, and Mbakwe has to be a goal of Tubby's next year. How athletic and fun to watch will those three be?

You can just see that Armelin is extremely athletic. The only thing holding him back is playing time. Tubby did the same thing to Rodney last year, so I'm sure there are things Chip is working on to ensure he gets more time on the court. There will be 70+minutes available at the guard position next year when Hoff and Nolen leave. Putting Chip on the court with Rodney, and Mbakwe has to be a goal of Tubby's next year. How athletic and fun to watch will those three be?

Can anybody shoot from outside?

Haha? Let's look at production per minute.

Points Rodney- .29 pts per minute
Chip .38
Reb. Rodney- .15 rebs per min
Chip .15
Steals Rodney .02 steals per minute
Chip .035
Assists Both at .15 per minute

Turnovers
Rodney .07
Chip .06

Most worthless stats of all time. Perhaps chip has more rebounds per minute because Williams is almost always on the court with mbakwe (the big tens leading rebounder).

Fact of the matter is that often when Williams is on the court with the starters he is the 5th best player on the court. If williams logged minutes with Armalin Hollins maverick and iverson he would be the best player on the court and his stats would show it.

It is like trying to argue that Iverson is a better rebounder than ralph because although he gets .6 fewer per game.…he does so in fewer minutes. But then you fail to mention that nearly 100% of sampsons minutes are with the big tens leading rebounder on the court and only about half of Iverson's are.

I'm very pleased with Chip, though I still think Austin has more upside. He's longer, quicker and in my opinion even more athletic than Chip. Look how many steals he has had and Tubby has consistently selected him first off the bench. He was a sharp shooter out of hs, I'm not sure why he hasn't shown much of it... freshman nerves?

Joe Coleman vs Chip Armelin split for playing time next year is going to be interesting.

Most worthless stats of all time. Perhaps chip has more rebounds per minute because Williams is almost always on the court with mbakwe (the big tens leading rebounder).

Fact of the matter is that often when Williams is on the court with the starters he is the 5th best player on the court. If williams logged minutes with Armalin Hollins maverick and iverson he would be the best player on the court and his stats would show it.

It is like trying to argue that Iverson is a better rebounder than ralph because although he gets .6 fewer per game.…he does so in fewer minutes. But then you fail to mention that nearly 100% of sampsons minutes are with the big tens leading rebounder on the court and only about half of Iverson's are.

It's all speculative from both sides. You could throw 100 variables in there. Maybe Armelin would play even better if he had more minutes or maybe he's play worse. The only thing with the per minute stats is an attempt to level the analysis a bit. So I don't think the stats are "the most worthless of all times" but they don't mean much other than to reduce the bias toward those who get more PT.

Personally, I think Armelin is a way better ball player than Williams on the offensive side right now, but I think Tubby feels that Williams gives us match up advantages and some defensive advantages. No doubt Williams has more upside. But again I will repeat- I don't look at Armelin versus Williams- I'd play them together and go smaller.

It's all speculative from both sides. You could throw 100 variables in there. Maybe Armelin would play even better if he had more minutes or maybe he's play worse. The only thing with the per minute stats is an attempt to level the analysis a bit. So I don't think the stats are "the most worthless of all times" but they don't mean much other than to reduce the bias toward those who get more PT.

Personally, I think Armelin is a way better ball player than Williams on the offensive side right now, but I think Tubby feels that Williams gives us match up advantages and some defensive advantages. No doubt Williams has more upside. But again I will repeat- I don't look at Armelin versus Williams- I'd play them together and go smaller.

The stats are the most worthless stats of all time. I stand by my statement. And I don't even necessarily diagree with you that i would like to see him get a few more minutes.

I don't Chip seeing the floor for 30 mintues a game is a good idea...I do like his energy and his ability to finish around the hoop. Hollins has looked good but his shot is off and he is too tentative with the basketball. I think Hollins has a huge upside on both ends of the court. I think Chips best opportunity for playing time going forward is to work on his ball handling and passing and become a point gaurd. He can get to the hole, finish, develop a 15 foot pull up jump shot and gaurd most PGs in our league...

Love Armelin

I love the guy. High energy, and not scared to take a shot. He always seems to make an impact when he comes in, but who are you going to take minutes from? I think Tubby using him to spell Blake, and maybe a time or two when we have some foul trouble or need a spark, is perfect for now. Let him grow, we'll need a lot more out of him next year, and down the road this year.

Top Bottom