Are these announcers Iowa grads?

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
I wasn't really paying attention until the color guy let out a visceral "NICE" when Iowa was making a run. They're driving me nuts.

No, they're not.

They came to Williams Arena expecting a boring Gopher blowout, so they got excited when Iowa was actually making it a watchable game.

I hate when people actually believe announcers want a particular team to win. It is so far from the truth I don't know where to begin.

I hate when people actually believe announcers want a particular team to win. It is so far from the truth I don't know where to begin.[/QUOTE]

I hate when the Big Ten Network upgrades to the likes of Quinn Buckner and Greg Kelser, (and Gus) yet we get stuck with these 2008 era stiffs.

I thought they did a decent job, though.

I hate when people actually believe announcers want a particular team to win. It is so far from the truth I don't know where to begin.

I hate when the Big Ten Network upgrades to the likes of Quinn Buckner and Greg Kelser, (and Gus) yet we get stuck with these 2008 era stiffs.

I thought they did a decent job, though.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure everyone of their A-Team of announcers had been used yesterday in the Quadruple-header. The Gophers vs. Iowa (bottom of the big ten) probably wasn't a very high priority for the Big Ten Network.

Pretty sure everyone of their A-Team of announcers had been used yesterday in the Quadruple-header. The Gophers vs. Iowa (bottom of the big ten) probably wasn't a very high priority for the Big Ten Network.

Ridiculous. Both Hart and Morris worked on Saturday as well as today.

Shonn Morris has been the #1 or #2 color guy on the BTN since its inception. He's worked the BTT the last three years for the network, basically proving he is their top choice as a color guy. He's also been covering BT games regularly for at least the last decade.

If you don't like him, fine. But at least know what you're talking about before spewing crap like he's not part of their "A" team.

Shonn Morris has been the #1 or #2 color guy on the BTN since its inception.

I have no issue with Shonn Morris, and I think the Big Ten Network has done a good job since the beginning, but Quinn Buckner, Gus Johnson, and G. Kelser are three of my favorite broadcasters.

For me, the line between play by play and "color" tends to melt away over time. I'll take these guys over many of annoying ESPN crowd like Mike Patrick any day of the week.

The Chicago guys like the Green Bay Packer guy? and Hamilton are good, but Kelser and Buckner are near the top of their profession.

Maybe the BTN can get Sean McDonough for next year in both sports. He is the best.

Shonn Morris has been the #1 or #2 color guy on the BTN since its inception. He's worked the BTT the last three years for the network, basically proving he is their top choice as a color guy. He's also been covering BT games regularly for at least the last decade.

If you don't like him, fine. But at least know what you're talking about before spewing crap like he's not part of their "A" team.

Wow. All I was simply stating was the fact that this game probably wasn't a high priority for the BTN. I guess I didn't see the game that Hart/Morris did yesterday, so I apologize.

I also never said that I didn't like them. I thought they were fine. Let's relax and enjoy the win.

Shonn Morris has been the #1 or #2 color guy on the BTN since its inception.

I have no issue with Shonn Morris, and I think the Big Ten Network has done a good job since the beginning, but Quinn Buckner, Gus Johnson, and G. Kelser are three of my favorite broadcasters.

For me, the line between play by play and "color" tends to melt away over time. I'll take these guys over many of annoying ESPN crowd like Mike Patrick any day of the week.

The Chicago guys like the Green Bay Packer guy? and Hamilton are good, but Kelser and Buckner are near the top of their profession.

Maybe the BTN can get Sean McDonough for next year in both sports. He is the best.

Wayne Larivee is I think who you are referring to as the Bulls and Packer guy. He is very good, but I think he decided personally to do less games this year (as I would find it hard to believe the BTN made a decision to cut back his games), so they have been filling his games with newer guys like Hart (formerly of CBS College Sports) and the former ESPN-guy Eric Collins.

Tom Hamilton is a little ridiculous with his yelling on a basket that ties the score at 2-2 and other outlandish and overly dramatic statements that would easily make the Common Man's preposterous statement tournament if he were a MN-guy, but generally he does a good job of staying on top of the action, rather than falling behind.

Kelser is very good - Jim Jackson is as well, but he's in the studio a lot too. I'm less of a fan of Buckner. I'm aware he used to be a national CBS guy, but he tends to run over the PBP guy and a lot of times say what should happen before the refs make a decision - kind of ruins the flow of the game. Very knowledgeable, though.

I've said for many years McDonough is the best PBP guy in the business, but he is full-time at ESPN, so the chances of him coming to the BTN are about as good as the Gophers winning the BT Title this year.

I think the BTN is trying to have these guys travel a lot less but using more guys this year. For example, Buckner has only been working Indiana games this year from what I've seen (but that might be schedule related since he also works Pacers games). Hamilton (who does Cleveland Indians PBP) works mostly Ohio State games.

I actually thought they did a pretty good job. And I am normally very critical of announcers.

I must admit, Tom Hamilton is one of my favorites. He can be annoying, but how can you go wrong with "RING IT UP!!!" when Hoffarber or anyone else in the Big 10 hits a three!?!?

I must admit, Tom Hamilton is one of my favorites. He can be annoying, but how can you go wrong with "RING IT UP!!!" when Hoffarber or anyone else in the Big 10 hits a three!?!?

Sorry, but "Ring It Up" is the catchphrase of Wayne Larivee, not Tom Hamilton.

Here's the deal. 15 years ago only the best matchups were on national TV. Because there were so few games being shown nationally, the best announcers would broadcast a higher percentage of these games. If an average Gopher game was on TV, chances are it would be on MSC where only Gopher fans would see it. Even though the announcers were not top quality, they were homers, so the fans did not notice the lesser quality.

But now with the Big Ten network, ESPN2, U, 360, FoxSports, CBS College Sports etc, many more games are available to a national audience. Well the top announcers are not going to be able to broadcast every single one of these, so the networks have to dip a little deeper into the talent pool to fill all the slots. Guess what? That means less quality. This is just a consequence of getting so many games broadcast nationally and it's never going to change.

Here's the deal. 15 years ago only the best matchups were on national TV. Because there were so few games being shown nationally, the best announcers would broadcast a higher percentage of these games. If an average Gopher game was on TV, chances are it would be on MSC where only Gopher fans would see it. Even though the announcers were not top quality, they were homers, so the fans did not notice the lesser quality.

But now with the Big Ten network, ESPN2, U, 360, FoxSports, CBS College Sports etc, many more games are available to a national audience. Well the top announcers are not going to be able to broadcast every single one of these, so the networks have to dip a little deeper into the talent pool to fill all the slots. Guess what? That means less quality. This is just a consequence of getting so many games broadcast nationally and it's never going to change.

Good points. Some people complain continuously about announcers, this guy likes the other team and doesn't respect us, this guy is too much of a homer...it get's old.

I still think Dutcher on MSC was one of the best. Though his voice and delivery may have been a little boring to some, he gave great insight on the Gophers. A homer, yes but so what. Same with the Twins announcers, that's their job.

My favorite recent comment by a national announcer would be Joe Morgan during a Twins game at Target Field. When the camera was showing the view of Target Center Joe said "and there is The Minnesota Sports Center home of the NBA and NHL." Nothing like being informed or factual. I kind of like informed and factual.

If people are that bothered by the announcers there is this little button on your tv remote.......somewhere.........oh here it is...........[MUTE]........:cool02:

The BTN should have done a better job keeping some of the ESPN + crews around (i.e. Bremer and Dutcher for the Gophers) on a free-lance basis, but they decided to go get thier own guys instead. While there was more 'homer-ism' that way, there was also better informed announcers. Personally, I'd take the trade-off of listening to the other teams homers on the road to have Bremer and Dutcher doing the games at the Barn.

Top Bottom