Amazing factoid regarding JuJuan Johnson

Reaction score
Since so many (myself included) are gushing over JJ's performance last night at the Barn I thought I'd throw this out there because it's truly amazing regarding his high school career.

Freshman year: played on the Freshman "B" team (i.e. got cut from the "A" team)
Sophomore year: barely made JV
Junior year: barely made Varsity
Senior year: All-State #41 National Recruit on Rivals

No, he didn't go to Lawrence North (Greg Oden and Mike Conley). He went to Franklin Central (Indianapolis) which is isn't a huge basketball powerhouse. Painter offered him before he had even played a high school varsity game and the early offer paid off it seems.

Hard to believe. It's a shame he's so skinny or he'd be a top 10 pick. There is nothing on the court he can't do. Great jumper for a big man, has post moves, can protect the rim and rebound, etc.

Great story.

Since so many (myself included) are gushing over JJ's performance last night at the Barn I thought I'd throw this out there because it's truly amazing regarding his high school career.

Not to say this isn't true, because I believe you. But how do you know he barely made the team? Were you the coach? Did the players numbers double as a rating system so the higher your number the lower you are on the depth charts?

Just curious about those statements.

No, he didn't go to Lawrence North (Greg Oden and Mike Conley). He went to North Central (Indianapolis) which is by no means a basketball powerhouse. Painter offered him before he had even played a high school varsity game and the early offer paid off it seems.

Similar factoid back in 1950's. Jack Twyman (NBA star in 50's and 60's) was cut from his HS team as Fr, Soph, and Jr. Made team as Sr and named All-State in PA. Became All-American at UC and NBA HOF-er playing for Rochester/Cincy Royals.

Not to say this isn't true, because I believe you. But how do you know he barely made the team? Were you the coach? Did the players numbers double as a rating system so the higher your number the lower you are on the depth charts?

Just curious about those statements.

Late bloomer. It's been chronicled throughout his career. People outside the Purdue bubble probably aren't aware nor do they likely care.

Can you tell me the name of a good Purdue fan site so I can go there and post random factoids about Minnesota players? Thanks in advance!

I've been to a Purdue fan site. It went from "I want to beat their best team, so they have no excuses" to "I can't believe they let that felon (WHAT?) play right after he gets out of jail!" in 40 (game time) minutes flat.

JaJuan was excellent last night, but did he really go 11-21 from the field? It seemed like he hit every shot. That being said, if he really did shoot roughly 50% from the field, he fell apart after hitting almost all of his first 9 attempts. He must have gone about 3 for his last 12 attempts.

I've been to a Purdue fan site. It went from "I want to beat their best team, so they have no excuses" to "I can't believe they let that felon (WHAT?) play right after he gets out of jail!" in 40 (game time) minutes flat.

That's hysterical, and far from shocking. Typical.

Nolen hit puberty really early and played varsity as a sophmore. Just to let you know

Amazing? Amazing is that purdue is rated 8th in the country. They are an average team that despite all the hype that hasn't advanced beyond the sweet 16 over the recent years.

Purdue also played (last night) their first top 25 team ... just saying.

I think an amazing fact related to Purdue is they haven't given up their pathetic baseball program like Wisconsin. The Gopher baseball program has the worst facilities in conference yet they're almost always competing for an NCAA tourney slot. Being a member (or former) of the Purdue baseball program must be like being a member of the Washington Generals. You pity them.

Such much for civil discourse.

Dpodol or whatever your handle is, what is the deal? MNBoiler, I think that is an interesting piece of info on JJ. He had NBA game last night; the defense on him was not that bad. He simply made NBA shots. I am glad we squeaked by though.

Good luck on the rest of the year.

I think an amazing fact related to Purdue is they haven't given up their pathetic baseball program like Wisconsin. The Gopher baseball program has the worst facilities in conference yet they're almost always competing for an NCAA tourney slot. Being a member (or former) of the Purdue baseball program must be like being a member of the Washington Generals. You pity them.

LOL!

Wow. I apologize for starting this thread. I just assumed some folks on this board were also Big Ten fans and college hoops junkies like myself and would find that info about JJ interesting. The pure smugness and arrogance towards opposing fanbases that attempt at having civil discussions regarding upcoming match-ups is very surprising. I guess one win over a ranked team at home brings that out in people. I look forward to discussing the rematch in a few weeks.

Wow. I apologize for starting this thread. I just assumed some folks on this board were also Big Ten fans and college hoops junkies like myself and would find that info about JJ interesting. The pure smugness and arrogance towards opposing fanbases that attempt at having civil discussions regarding upcoming match-ups is very surprising. I guess one win over a ranked team at home brings that out in people. I look forward to discussing the rematch in a few weeks.

No need to apologize. I found the information interesting. I thought Johnson was amazing. He scored over very good defense. Seemed like he got tired and/or the double teams slowed him up.

I was very impressed with Purdue. They played with a lot of energy. Every player was hustling for loose balls all the time. They made very few mistakes. After every free throw, I was thinking you have got to be kidding.

Have read several comments about Painter having a recruiting slump? Is this because top HS players see Johnson, Moore and Hummel and realize they may not get the 30+ minutes of PT they want. Now that the three amigos are close to graduation (ex Hummel) the PT is available.

No need to apologize. I found the information interesting. I thought Johnson was amazing. He scored over very good defense. Seemed like he got tired and/or the double teams slowed him up.

I was very impressed with Purdue. They played with a lot of energy. Every player was hustling for loose balls all the time. They made very few mistakes. After every free throw, I was thinking you have got to be kidding.

Have read several comments about Painter having a recruiting slump? Is this because top HS players see Johnson, Moore and Hummel and realize they may not get the 30+ minutes of PT they want. Now that the three amigos are close to graduation (ex Hummel) the PT is available.

I guess you could call it a recruiting slump relatively speaking since the 2007 class with JJ, Moore, and Hummel was so good. The past 2-3 classes haven't been terrible though. Painter has finished runner-up to several top ranked recruits like Tyler Zeller at UNC, Brendan Dawson to MSU, and Chasson Randle to Stanford so he's a little snake bit. Painter's philosophy seems to be to find "program guys" early on that might fly a little under radar and don't get a ton of attention because they committed so early. Next year's class has only 2 signees Jacob Lawson (who may have seriously injured his achilles tendon last night according to a text I got) and Donnie Hale - who was supposed to be part of this year's class but a scholarship crunch (i.e. nobody decided to leave the program) forced him to go to prep school this year and become a 2011 recruit. Both are supposed to be athletic wings with some size that should help the frontcourt depth but they're still only going to be Freshman. Like I said in a previous post, the 2013 class in Indiana is ridiculously loaded. Wait until you see the Rivals top 150 for 2013 come out. There might be 10-12 Indiana kids.

Wow, sensitive much? You can't tell me that if I posted Blake Hoffarber's history on a Purdue site that most Purdue fans would be like "wow, that's very interesting!". Probably not. Plus, the Gophers beating Purdue has nothing to do with people taking shots at you. I, for one, found the JJ story interesting though. But you can't expect most Gopher fans to get all excited about it.

Actually, the guy who runs the Purdue Rivals Premium site posted the Youtube clip of Hoffarber's shot in the State Tournament as part of his game recap from the other night and there's a thread with like 50 posts about.

My point was that some fans are strictly fans of their own team period..whether they are at MN, Purdue or wherever. Like I said, I appreciated the post, but you can't expect everyone to like it. I sure wouldn't expect it if I posted something similar on the Purdue site. Just sayin'...

I like the Purdue folks on this board, but I don't think you've been doing yourself any favors recently with your constant ". . . but Purdue sucks without Hummel, right?" routine.

I also find it odd that you bash "smugness" immediately before saying, "I guess one win over a ranked team at home brings that out in people." No smugness in that comment. (By the way, that's one more win over a ranked opponent than Purdue has this year.)

Top Bottom