Gophers Move Up 10 Spots...

I've never heard that the selection committee has used KenPom specifically, although I have heard it said that they use many and any tools available to them.

Link?

They don't look at it. They should though.

Doesn't look too valid to me with WV and NC two opponents we beat and with lesser records that ours sitting more than 20 spots in front of us. Maybe it's great for looking at team efficiency internally and not so great as a comparative model team to team.

Doesn't look too valid to me with WV and NC two opponents we beat and with lesser records that ours sitting more than 20 spots in front of us. Maybe it's great for looking at team efficiency internally and not so great as a comparative model team to team.
It's based on per-possession based stats, primarily the "four factors," rather than just wins and losses like RPI. No rankings are perfect at the beginning of the conference season. It's been fairly amazingly predictive towards the end of the year and for the tournament.

Mathematically/statistically, the Virginia loss haunts the Gophers. Their RPI would be markedly better without that stain on them.

A large factor i think in his rankings are the efficiency factors, our 300+ ranked FT shooting and 3 point defense makes us drop like 20 places from where the rest of the stats are. The splits on how many points opposing teams gets from 3's opposed to 2's is just absurd. we OWN the paint. we just need to be able to get out to their perimeter shooters more.

Pomeroy's rankings are good, but slightly flawed. Blowouts skew the probabilities, and I don't think he takes into proper consideration the statistical likelihood of the winning team actually losing in closer games - margin of victory is relevant, but a lot of times blowouts are more due to the opponent giving up than the victor really taking it to them. We all know there are some games that were either closer or more comfortable than the final score indicates, but all he uses is the final score/stats, and those are misleading a lot of times. No doubt the Gophers did not perform up to their potential with Devoe this season - I think a pretty strong case can be made that the team is better without him - clearly the 3-point defense was lacking at times against the likes of Virginia and MSU. Personnel changes are another thing the Pomeroy rankings don't account for very well.

Top Bottom