Rodney first round pick right now...imo

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Just rewatched the Purdue game. Rodney is a first round pick if he comes out this year. Not withstanding that this years draft will be weak according to most experts...Rodney's athleticism is worth the pick for a late first round club. He will learn how to shoot with full time attention...but you can't teach his length or hops.

The kid can play and would be a great Senior in two years with Big Ten POY potential...but he is a first rounder if he comes out this year...IMO. I would challenge anyone to name 30 players that could be in this draft with more potential than RW...

IMO, if Rodney decided to enter the draft after this year, he would probably be an early second round pick. I don't think teams would want to give him a guaranteed contract based solely off his athleticism. He has a lot of work to do before he's ready for the NBA. I agree he has a ton of potential, but entering the draft after this season would not be smart with the possibility of a lockout.

He can score when he can get to the basket and has extreme athletic ability, but think about everything else.
-He won't get to the hoop as easily in the NBA
-Not big enough
-Very inconsistent shooter
-Bad hands
-Okay passing
-Bad defense

The NBA will let the University of Minnesota pay for his development

I just don't quite get all the hype until he learns to shoot.

You are drinking some...

strong kool-aid....The guy is shooting 9% from 3-pt, and he has to play guard when/if he gets to the NBA. He's listed at 6-7, but is 6-5 at most. Either he must learn Mbakwe style interior play or develop his floor game a great deal more.

Most of all he has to remain humble and work hard. He will draw a pay check as a player some day, but that day is not close at hand.

This does not mean I don't like him......love his progress so far this season, and love to watch him play.

Just rewatched the Purdue game. Rodney is a first round pick if he comes out this year. Not withstanding that this years draft will be weak according to most experts...Rodney's athleticism is worth the pick for a late first round club. He will learn how to shoot with full time attention...but you can't teach his length or hops.

The kid can play and would be a great Senior in two years with Big Ten POY potential...but he is a first rounder if he comes out this year...IMO. I would challenge anyone to name 30 players that could be in this draft with more potential than RW...

I would challenge you to find 30 players at the guard position in next year's draft who don't

Play better defense
Have a better bb IQ
Shoot a better percentage
pass better
score more consistently

than RW. His best bet to avoid ending up in the long line of athletic kids who don't understand the game yet is to do just what you said, stay in the Big10 for two more years and become the POY.

RW would be completely overwhelmed at the NBA level if he were to declare, IMO. Too many nights he looks overwhelmed at the Big10 level against, for the most part, a bunch of players who won't ever see the NBA.

If Rodney was European or South American maybe. I don't think you see many American small forwards drafted on potential after their sophomore year of college. Pretty much every small forward in the NBA can run and jump, most can also shoot and handle the ball.

Him going pro would be a worse decision than Rickert. I don't think he would get drafted.

I'm in agreement with the realistic posters

That said, since NBA teams are so enamored with potential (see Timberwolves rolling of the dice on the potential of Ndudi Ebi - great first first round pick after three years of forfeited picks due to Joe Smith fiasco) that it is entirely possible that he would be drafted. But no one can be serious about expecting him to see the floor in the NBA next year (or likely for a number of years). The truth is that players don't develop fundamental skills in the NBA. They are forced to play a certain style and learn the complexities of NBA offenses and defensive rotations, but they are expected to some in with skills. The athleticism is nice, but is pretty much a given, too.

strong kool-aid....The guy is shooting 9% from 3-pt, and he has to play guard when/if he gets to the NBA. He's listed at 6-7, but is 6-5 at most. Either he must learn Mbakwe style interior play or develop his floor game a great deal more.

Most of all he has to remain humble and work hard. He will draw a pay check as a player some day, but that day is not close at hand.

This does not mean I don't like him......love his progress so far this season, and love to watch him play.

Right. Worst thing he could do right now is take 30th pick in the draft money now and sit on an NBA bench in anonymity for two years.

If Rodney was European or South American maybe. I don't think you see many American small forwards drafted on potential after their sophomore year of college. Pretty much every small forward in the NBA can run and jump, most can also shoot and handle the ball.

Him going pro would be a worse decision than Rickert. I don't think he would get drafted.

I agree the decision would be a mistake, but not every small forward in the NBA and run and jump like this kid. I think people are underrating his athleticism. He's in a truly ELITE category in that regard. He's also put some weight on. I think physically, he would hold up just fine in the NBA. The problem is, he has way too many weaknesses right now, coaches would eat him up cause he'd be too easy to guard.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he could be a 1st round pick after this season. "Potential" gets a lot of teams in trouble. I hope he sticks around and truly develops his game.

I agree the decision would be a mistake, but not every small forward in the NBA and run and jump like this kid. I think people are underrating his athleticism. He's in a truly ELITE category in that regard. He's also put some weight on. I think physically, he would hold up just fine in the NBA. The problem is, he has way too many weaknesses right now, coaches would eat him up cause he'd be too easy to guard.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he could be a 1st round pick after this season. "Potential" gets a lot of teams in trouble. I hope he sticks around and truly develops his game.

+1

I hope both him and Trevor stay ... but with a looming new CBA I couldn't blame them for leaving, especially Trevor who I believe already has his degree.

I think if they both stay they could improve greatly and do good things for this team, but they also have to consider their own futures. I think Rodney could use another year or two to get a good draft spot, Trevor could still use another year, but is the more "NBA-ready" of the two.

I just hope they do not overreact to the potentials of NBA lock-out and such and do the right things for their futures and the NBA will hopefully still be an option for them.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out after seeing what happened to Manny Harris last year.

Rodney needs to find a go to move...he doesn't have anything yet. He's often clumsy with the ball and actually travelled twice last night, only one was called on that fast break oppurtunity. If you watch the "and one" layup, he actually travelled on that play as well but it wasn't called.

I don't think Rodney would be drafted if the draft were held tomorrow. He still has 15 games or so to improve this season and work on his offense. I think defensively, he's really improved.

Rodney needs to find a go to move...he doesn't have anything yet. He's often clumsy with the ball and actually travelled twice last night, only one was called on that fast break oppurtunity. If you watch the "and one" layup, he actually travelled on that play as well but it wasn't called.

I don't think Rodney would be drafted if the draft were held tomorrow. He still has 15 games or so to improve this season and work on his offense. I think defensively, he's really improved.
I think he shuffles his feet every single time he starts to drive, personally. But it's never called.

I agree. He would get drafted this year, probably either late first round or early second round, simply because the NBA loves potential.

That being said, if he does elect to go into the draft, the Twolves better not be the team drafting him. His shot is awful right now. He needs to spend at least one more year at the U working on that thing. His pull up 15-foot jumper last night that clanged off the opposite side of the backboard was a thing of beauty. Those need to disappear before he sees the floor in an NBA game.

As for 30 guard/forwards/players ahead of him, Chad Ford currently has him as the 49th best Draft prospect for 2011. In his projection, he has listed as a late lottery to mid-first round (basically 15-20). My opinion is that you can simply look at the current Twolves roster to see how "common" the athletic wings have become in the NBA (The wolves currently have the following: Beasley, Brewer, Webster, Ellington, Wes Johnson, and Lazar Hayward). Beasley is a little bigger and can play the 4 - but is basically the same type of wing player. I would say that Williams jump shot is equally as bad, if not worse than Corey Brewer's. In addition, Williams can't play (or hasn't shown that he can play) the same type of defense that Brewer played when he was in college. Brewer was drafted 7th overall and is a very minimal contributor off the bench for one of the bottom teams in the NBA.

I would understand if he entered the draft to capitalize on the $$, but would respectfully disagree w/ his decision, as I don't think it is a guarantee that he would be taken in the first round - and would not have a guaranteed contract.

Rodney needs to find a go to move...he doesn't have anything yet.

This! Rodney and Trevor both need a go to move. To make it in the NBA, a kid needs some move that can get them an open look. If you can do that, and make the shot, you have a chance to last.

I hope Rodney sticks around too...and i don't think him entering the draft this year even if he is taken in the first round would be in his best interest long term as far as development goes...that said, with 15 more games to go plus the Big Ten and NCAA tourny...I have no doubt that he would be a late first rounder...especially if we keep running...his skills are far more suited to the open court transition game and a more attacking offensive style.

Plus, I know his defense can be suspect at times...but I find that is generally when we are in a zone and he has to think...when he is manned up on a guy...that guy doesn't score much. Rodney has the quickness, height and length to gaurd most NBA 2s and rebound with most 3s...and the one thing I wish we would utilize more but seldom do...Rodney has a back to the basket game...we just don't have any bigs that can shoot from outside that would give Rodney one on one chances...not like the guy gaurding Colt, Trevor or Ralph wont sag and double...but when Rodney gets that ball in the post against 2s or 3s...he scores more times than not.

This! Rodney and Trevor both need a go to move. To make it in the NBA, a kid needs some move that can get them an open look. If you can do that, and make the shot, you have a chance to last.

Exactly. Heck, Sam Mitchell survived more than a decade in the league with that one-dribble-to-the-right-running-hook-shot move.

If he became the final pick in the draft, it would be risky at this point. Lots of growth, work, and maturation needed.

Not a chance he goes in round one. He is too small to play the 3 and he can't possible play the 2in the NBA. He needs to develop a jump shot before anyone will draft him.

I continue to be amazed at those that thing Rodney is ready for the NBA. If you re-watched the Purdue game, did you happen to notice JaJuan Johnson of Purdue? I'm guessing you did since he almost single handedly beat the Gophers last night. JaJuan Johnson is currently projected as a 2nd round NBA draft pick. Would you pick Rodney ahead of JaJuan?

Huh? He's Gerald Green at this point. Amazing athlete but no real basketball skills other than good defense.

I think some of you have a very skewed perception of what it takes to be an NBA player.

I continue to be amazed at those that thing Rodney is ready for the NBA. If you re-watched the Purdue game, did you happen to notice JaJuan Johnson of Purdue? I'm guessing you did since he almost single handedly beat the Gophers last night. JaJuan Johnson is currently projected as a 2nd round NBA draft pick. Would you pick Rodney ahead of JaJuan?

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Huh? He's Gerald Green at this point. Amazing athlete but no real basketball skills other than good defense.

I think some of you have a very skewed perception of what it takes to be an NBA player.

No, we aren't talking about being an "NBA player" - we are talking about what it takes to be an NBA Draft pick. Even though common sense would say otherwise, these 2 things are very different.

For the record, Gerald Green was drafted 18th in the first round - which is exactly what is being discussed above for Rodney.

No, we aren't talking about being an "NBA player" - we are talking about what it takes to be an NBA Draft pick. Even though common sense would say otherwise, these 2 things are very different.

For the record, Gerald Green was drafted 18th in the first round - which is exactly what is being discussed above for Rodney.

I realize that, but I think if Gerald had an opportunity to play in college and put up what probably would have been a sub par performance judging from his skills he would have went far lower than number 18.

You guys can talk about Rodney's jumper improving and stuff like that but his form isn't even that good, way to herky jerky and too much wasted movement. He never looks confident shooting it. I'm rooting for him but I don't expect much.

Good thing Rodney isn't a 6'10 225 pound 4/5.

He has the potential to be drafted but his skill level is below a lot of big time high schoolers. His ball handling is similar to a power forward. His shooting is about like a plodding center, maybe he can hit within 10 feet. He can be a good defensive player. He can score in transition, but who can't at the NBA level? And I agree, without shoes, he's probably 6'5" and too small for small forward on a consistent basis. Rodney stay in school and become an all big ten type player!

I just don't quite get all the hype until he learns to shoot.

This. Rodney has freakish athletism but until he learns how to shoot, he will be a back burner if he decides to go to the draft. He has the skills no question. Let tubby mold him, and in a couple years he will be worth the hype.

Negatory. He needs to shoot better. Don't get me wrong, the kid has many skills, but until he learns to shoot better, he will be an nba afterthought.

Double post, sorry. I'm kinda drunk so it's all cool. Triple now!!!

Top Bottom