Student Section's Back Must Hurt

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
...from carrying the energy level in the Barn for the entire game.

This won't be received well, especially in light of the win, but the Barn should be embarrassed. Playing the number 8 team in the country, the rest of the arena was an absolute crypt. The team played their arses off the ENTIRE game, and they got a mere golf clap from everyone except the student section. Poor Donna Smith was over there waving her arms frantically trying to get everyone on their feet SEVERAL, SEVERAL times, to no avail. It took the first three rows emphatically motioning the section right behind the Purdue bench to actually get them on their feet with TEN SECONDS LEFT and the rest of the arena already standing.

The only standing O's they received were after Blake hit the wide-open three off the steal by Ralph, and for the last 40 seconds or so of the game. The place was absolutely DEAD other than that. Student can't do it all. Get on your feet once in awhile, put down the newspapers down, and give the team some energy for playing a great game all around, offensively and defensively.

I agree, the student section was fantastic. The rest of the crowd at times could be seen doing nothing at all after a big play or basket. Fairly disappointing.

Maybe you noticed that about 10,000 fans there are 70 or older. 6:00 is usually when they are asleep. :clap:

You are awesome. Congrats on your level of cheering.

For what it's worth, I was upstairs, and I was standing up often. But yeah, I was pretty much alone.

Not asking for a pat on the back or anything for the students, more of a plea to have some more energy in the arena as a whole. Also, I'm aware there were several people trying their damnedest to get people on their feet, just more of a blanket general statement.

That's good, because during the Monson era, they barely had a pulse.

Give it a rest.

Are you just combative with every statement anyone has on the board? Did I mention Monson-era student section? No. Give me a break. Talking about tonight. You give it a rest.

Are you just combative with every statement anyone has on the board? Did I mention Monson-era student section? No. Give me a break. Talking about tonight. You give it a rest.

When I have to be. We just beat the number 8 team in the country in a terrific basketball game (win-or-lose), that puts us back on-the-map, after a tough past couple days for the team and you bring up this tired old story? Seriously?

Were you there? This wasn't a case of slight lethargy at a non-con game or against Indiana or Iowa. This is the whole place being DEAD against the #8 team in the country.

This seems to be a constant topic during football season also, kind of beating a dead horse. I dont know whats wrong with people though, show you have a pulse and make some noise for your boys. Definetly wanna give props to the student section tonight, they kept it rocking, would have liked to hear a few creative chants. I thought they were dead against Indiana though.

I was third row of the student section on the side by the Purdue bench, and I absolutely agree with you. I was personally imploring fans in nearby sections to get into it and stand up almost constantly in last 10 minutes of the second half. I honestly made eye contact with a number of people waving my arms trying to get them to stand up and get into it, but they just looked at me like I was weird and trying to inconvenience their sitting comfort.

I guess I can sort of understand where they are coming from with 10 minutes left and nothing going on, but when there is 4 minutes left in a tie game, STAND UP AND CHEER. The Barn was so loud during the last Purdue possession-it was great, absolutely fantastic. There is no doubt in my mind that the crowd noise had a lot to do with Purdue's failure to score on the final possession.

I am really excited we won this game, and I don't want to come across as whining or anything, but the 12000 or so non students NEED to get into the game if the Gophers want to get in the habit of consistently beating top teams at home.

GO GOPHERS!!

Were you there? This wasn't a case of slight lethargy at a non-con game or against Indiana or Iowa. This is the whole place being DEAD against the #8 team in the country.

No. Home with a sick kid - gave my tix to a friend. First game I've missed all year. Sounded great on TV.

I'm just sick of this everytime the students make any noise, this complaint comes up. WE GOT IT. You cheer loud, the old people don't. You stand up, the old people don't. You are good fans, the old people (some of which have spent 5 and maybe 6 figures on tickets to watch a whole lotta $hitty basketball) aren't.

We beat Purdue today to remain in the hunt, by the way.

I don't think the old timer are ever going to get up and yell like most younger fans would like. I am still shocked that we can't fill the student section with actual students for a home game against a top ten ranked Big Ten opponent. I sit in the farthest north section of the student section and there hasn't been a full game yet including tonight. It was pretty full but I bet there were a few hundred seats open until at least halftime when it seems like people with worse seats fill in.

I can't figure out why this continues especially when the tickets are so cheap. When I went to school (starting in '02) the entire section was full of students and there was no gen admission. Things changed when we hit hard times with Humphries and Monson but that first year and at least the 5 years before it was packed with students.

Was good, no where near Haskins era student section.

This won't be received well, especially in light of the win, but the Barn should be embarrassed. Playing the number 8 team in the country, the rest of the arena was an absolute crypt. The team played their arses off the ENTIRE game, and they got a mere golf clap from everyone except the student section. Poor Donna Smith was over there waving her arms frantically trying to get everyone on their feet SEVERAL, SEVERAL times, to no avail. It took the first three rows emphatically motioning the section right behind the Purdue bench to actually get them on their feet with TEN SECONDS LEFT and the rest of the arena already standing.

The only standing O's they received were after Blake hit the wide-open three off the steal by Ralph, and for the last 40 seconds or so of the game. The place was absolutely DEAD other than that. Student can't do it all. Get on your feet once in awhile, put down the newspapers down, and give the team some energy for playing a great game all around, offensively and defensively.

Great game again students! I was sitting in upper deck next to the Purdue fans. They were even saying how dead it was in there, besides the student section. This is the culture at Minny and it is going to take a new AD and a whole new marketing campaign to change it. Maybe they can figure out a way to slip some five hour energy in the old farts Geritol before the game. However, the old people do pay most of the bills so let's cut them some slack

Pretty sure the 5 guys on the court carried the energy level.

Arrogance coming out of the first two rows in the barnyard. That never happens...

said it about tcf and now for the barn. I stand or sit as desired. Come on over and start your whining to my face or put a lid on it. Btw, is there any way you could get these stellar student fans to get there in time for the game to start?

I agree ... was watching on tv and thought the crowd was really lame. Couldn't believe most of the crowd was still SITTING with 1 minute to play. Bordered on embarrassing, given that we were playing a top 10 team on national tv. I've said this before in various fora, but it's just never been the same since they removed most of the benches and put in the stadium seating.

Student section's arms must also hurt

from patting themselves on the back.:D
I'm with Jake.

said it about tcf and now for the barn. I stand or sit as desired. Come on over and start your whining to my face or put a lid on it. Btw, is there any way you could get these stellar student fans to get there in time for the game to start?

I would take a late student over an on time you any day. Do you realize that standing and cheering can be directly proportional to winning?

Another day on Gopherhole, another argument between the student section and the season ticket holders.
While we're at it, can we please discuss the dangers of the raised court, Tubby leaving for a bigger program, and if in fact Blake is more than a shooter?

The Gophers played good basketball tonight. Let's enjoy it.

Yeah pretty much. There were a small handful trying to get the crowd going. As soon as I got out of the game I was commenting how sad it was that it took Colt to stand up and start flapping his arms to even get the majority of the lower deck crowd to do anything.

But yeah, much appreciated to those lone rangers in those groups standing up when it's appropriate and trying to rally the troops. :clap:

Another day on Gopherhole, another argument between the student section and the season ticket holders.
While we're at it, can we please discuss the dangers of the raised court, Tubby leaving for a bigger program, and if in fact Blake is more than a shooter?

The Gophers played good basketball tonight. Let's enjoy it.

My point exactly.

Just heard Joe Schmit say that was our first top 10 win at The Barn in 11 years. Let's talk about politics.

That crowd was the most embarrassing thing to hit Minnesota since the Love Boat scandal.

I for one am happy they are reseating. I hope the Big Donors are under 50 and have a pulse.
I also hope they can stay awake past 6 PM. That crowd was embarrassing.

I was at the game tonight. I watched Illinois @ Penn state on TV the other night. And I felt more energy from the Penn State crowd of 27 through the TV.

It looked bad on TV too. Hit a big three and everyone in unison simply claps their hands for about 4-6 seconds and then returns to statue mode (excluding the students of course). It was pretty pathetic.

I for one am happy they are reseating. I hope the Big Donors are under 50 and have a pulse.
I also hope they can stay awake past 6 PM. That crowd was embarrassing.

I was at the game tonight. I watched Illinois @ Penn state on TV the other night. And I felt more energy from the Penn State crowd of 27 through the TV.

Or at least that the big donors give their tickets to more excited people. I am fine with not standing the whole game, but it was a chore to get people to stand with 10 seconds left. That's what I find troubling.

Top Bottom