Al Nolen

Reaction score
39 minutes for AL. He had to be gassed on that last free throw attempt....and maybe the last few minutes! Awesome game, Al! Thanks!

39 minutes for AL. He had to be gassed on that last free throw attempt....and maybe the last few minutes! Awesome game, Al! Thanks!

8 assists, 1 TO. Ran the half-court better - didn't seem to hold the ball as much, particularly in the first half. Guys seemed to move better without the ball.

Much better movement tonight from what I saw.

He was gassed at multiple times during the game. Thanks to the TV timeouts, he was able to run the show w/o making too many TO's.. Good game Al!

Forgot to mention, but Al had 2 huge 3s, particularly the 2nd, which put us ahead for good, did it not?

Yeah the movement was a lot better. I don't care if we're handing the ball off over and over, set a bunch of picks, and be patient. It's a lot better than standing on the perimeter swinging the ball around.

Idc what anybody says. I can not trust Al Nolen. He runs the clock down and charges and throw up a brick, if not turns it over or makes a stupid play. I can't trust anything he does. Not consistent shooter, passer, only a good defender. Can make some good plays, but not very often.

Idc what anybody says. I can not trust Al Nolen. He runs the clock down and charges and throw up a brick, if not turns it over or makes a stupid play. I can't trust anything he does. Not consistent shooter, passer, only a good defender. Can make some good plays, but not very often.

He had one turnover tonight and 8 assists. For those keeping track at home, that's an 8:1 Assist to Turnover ratio. Pretty good.

He had one turnover tonight and 8 assists. For those keeping track at home, that's an 8:1 Assist to Turnover ratio. Pretty good.

And 13 points.

p.s. Nobody said he was John Wall. We just said he had a nice game. He's had lots of nice games lately.

The offense in general looks better and flows better when hoff is hitting shots; nolen had a pretty good game though. He did get abused by lewis jackson for a stretch, but overall played well

I believe Al did exactly what Tubby wanted. Run the clock down and then drive to the basket, get contact and expect a foul call (home cooking). Lots of contact but no calls (rightfully so), except for the last one (was a weak cal but balanced out all the non calls when Blake was held or hit).

I was hoping they would go back to Ralph after he hit the baby hook.

Good call by Tubby to start doubling J. Johnson.

Al pushed the action better tonight. Best game for him this year. Not sure how they calculate just one TO for Al though. I saw more than one. Doesn't matter though. He played well and he had to play the whole game. Well done.

Speaking of John Wall... we should all remember this night. The Gopher beat a top 10 team and the Twolves won by double digits. This might not happen again for 20 years.

And 13 points.

p.s. Nobody said he was John Wall. We just said he had a nice game. He's had lots of nice games lately.

Shooting the three

Al Nolen has to take the 3 point shot even if he shoots at a low percentage. It opens up alot of other things on offense and obviously won the game tonight. He just needs to be confident. Tonight he proved he can make the shot, now he needs to take that confidence to the next game.

Tubby gets some credit for calling a timeout when the entire team was gassed around the 5:00 minute mark and nobody was moving. Al was just dribbling the ball by the bench and you could see things slipping away.

Overall good win for the Home team.

Bingo! I have the same feeling on Nolen. He can play well most of the time, but unfortunately, is prone to very poor decision making at times, and his out of control charges to the basket frequently cause me to cringe. He got a gift from the ref at the end as I thought it was a charge. several times in the second half he held the ball dribbling at the perimeter so long that he ultimately was forced to run blindly run at the basket with most attempts doomed from the start and ended up with Purdue having the ball. For all the accolades given Al for his defense, he still makes me nervous as hell sometimes on the offensive side; he came close to costing them the game last night...but a win is a win and it's nice to see a good performance against a very good team!

Game winner. At 3:17, which is...strange. No points scored after.

Yeah, that's one of the earliest game winners I've ever seen LOL.

Al did make some mistakes that didn't necessarily lead to turnovers, but I think part of that was fatigue. He was getting into the paint, but it was like he didn't have the pop to finish it off so he'd just pull up, or kinda just fling it. But even so, he and Blake clearly lead this team to victory, which is what your seniors are supposed to do.

Al Nolen has to take the 3 point shot even if he shoots at a low percentage. It opens up alot of other things on offense and obviously won the game tonight. He just needs to be confident. Tonight he proved he can make the shot, now he needs to take that confidence to the next game.

Tubby gets some credit for calling a timeout when the entire team was gassed around the 5:00 minute mark and nobody was moving. Al was just dribbling the ball by the bench and you could see things slipping away.

Overall good win for the Home team.

Considering that we go into the late game stall against every decent team we are ahead of with 5 mins to go are we sure this is Nolen's doing to is Tubby asking him not to start the offense until late in the clock? I'm not sure. I know I don't like it and it's the only thing I didn't like about last night. Nolen was fantastic and I thought Tubby coached a good game.

I was thrilled to see Al finally make some threes...I think that ended a 0 for 12 drought for him in Big 10 play.

However, I have to say this...He nearly cost the Gophers the game with his TWO misses on the front end of 1 and 1 FT's...End of the first half and end of the game. Sadly, he wasn't close on either.

If the Gophers are going to be over .500 in the Big 10 and make any noise in the NCAA Tourney, we need Al Nolen to become Mr. Clutch at the FT line. His clangers last night left me feeling worried about future close games.

If I'm Tubby, I congratulate Al today and then tell him to make 20 straight free throws before he's allowed to hit the showers.

I was thrilled to see Al finally make some threes...I think that ended a 0 for 12 drought for him in Big 10 play.

However, I have to say this...He nearly cost the Gophers the game with his TWO misses on the front end of 1 and 1 FT's...End of the first half and end of the game. Sadly, he wasn't close on either.

If the Gophers are going to be over .500 in the Big 10 and make any noise in the NCAA Tourney, we need Al Nolen to become Mr. Clutch at the FT line. His clangers last night left me feeling worried about future close games.

If I'm Tubby, I congratulate Al today and then tell him to make 20 straight free throws before he's allowed to hit the showers.

At the end of the half he made one and missed the second to put us up 41-40, unless you are thinking of a different time. Agree with your overall point - he needs to be money at the FT line late in games.

You can't break it down to a single play costing us the game. We wouldn't have even been in the game if he didn't have a hell of a game. Nolen is a solid ft shooter. 2nd best on our team. I'd worry more about some other players' ft shooting ability.

Top Bottom