Hoff

underground629

Reaction score
I think we all know he deserves his own thread. This is dedicated to d-boy. He was right, Hoff should never play more than around 10 min a game. I hate players who score in double figures in 14-17 games and score over at least 20 against UNC and Purdue. He can't score against athletic or good defensive teams.

I think we all know he deserves his own thread. This is dedicated to d-boy. He was right, Hoff should never play more than around 10 min a game. I hate players who score in double figures in 14-17 games and score over at least 20 against UNC and Purdue. He can't score against athletic or good defensive teams.

10-15 FG
4-6 3-pt
4 assists
3 TOs (yuck)

Fantastic game. Loving the step-back jumper from 12 feet.

He had a great game against a team that he has always struggled scoring on.

He's had a lot more unusual turnovers and missed fts this year, but even with how efficient he was last year, I still like his game much better this year. I love that midrange jumper he's developed off the dribble. He creates just enough space with that little fadeaway. I loved how Moore was right there for his threes but his release is so outrageously quick. He should've also have 5 assists with that sweet alley-oop to Rodney. Also, I don't care how well Ryne Smith has shot the three lately, I still think Blake is the best 3 point shooter in the BT (contrary to what one of the announcers said).

10-15 FG
4-6 3-pt
4 assists
3 TOs (yuck)

"Look for Purdue G E'Twaun Moore (tied for the fifth-most steals in the conference) to bottle up G Blake Hoffarber (13.4 ppg), who was held to just seven points in the loss to the Buckeyes. Purdue will simply dare the rest of the Gophers to shoot beyond 17 feet."
26 points on 10/15

While I'm at it, I'll add some other unrelated quotes from that ESPN article that I enjoyed...

"Bottom line: Minnesota doesn't have a potent enough offense (ranked 51st in efficiency) to put Purdue's defense on its heels. And the Gophers won't be able to keep the Boilermakers from bombing away -- their 3-point defense ranks 249th in college basketball."
70 points, 6/14 from 3 for us, 8/23 for them.

"Which brings us to another reason Minnesota is at a disadvantage: the emergence of junior guard Ryne Smith"
3 points in 25 min.

I once considered paying for Insider. Are all of the articles this good?

Tonight was one of the first times in his career that Blake took what the defense gave him, didn't just hunt for threes and realized that it is OK to shoot 12-16 footers.

The result was basically the best/most complete game of his career.

Here's are two items for those of you who contend his offense has been more than just threes.

He took nine 2s tonight and six 3s.

It was the most 2s he has ever attempted in his career.
And it was the FIRST time in his CAREER that he took more 2s than 3s in a game.

He was fantastic tonight. I just wish he wouldn't have needed 117 games to figure that out.

Gophers, you are right. I looked too quickly.

But it still the most 2s he has ever taken and the largest percentage of 2s he has ever taken.

Critic of Hoffarber

I have been a huge critic of Blake's inability to create his own shot. Tonight he showed the senior guard confidence to get his shot and not just stand behind the 3 point line. He also didn't get caught up in picks on defense like he did against Michigan State.

The Gophers lost to Ohio State but they found themselves as a team in the second half and extended that to the court tonight. Now they need to go and play with intensity against Iowa and get to 500.

Gophers, you are right. I looked too quickly.

But it still the most 2s he has ever taken and the largest percentage of 2s he has ever taken.

It's also probably the most shots he's taken. Keep going with this though.

Blake needs to always be this aggressive

Why not? He can score through contact, through narrow windows, and with off-balance shots. He rarely gets totally clean looks; but still scores efficiently. Keep putting em up, Blake!

I have extra tough on blake as a starter compared to devoe, I always thought devoe should be the 2 and blake was always more of an extra shooting guard. I have also been hard on blake because I have felt he wasn't moving enough on offense or utilizing screens to be effective. tonight blake was great! he worked his ass off around screens, he led his defender perfectly into picks, he drove and popped, all I can say is he was great tonight and I hope he continues to show he isn't just a transition 3 point shooter or a stand and shoot kind of guy. if he continues to do what he did tonight whether he scores big or not it will show how wrong I was! I hope he continues to prove me wrong!

Blake constantly moves without the ball. Devoe mostly only moves with the ball when he plays sg. Blake does a good job of using screens, there just aren't always enough set for him. He's never been just a transition 3 point shooter. He's great at that, but that's never been how he gets most of his threes. If there's one guy who I don't mind shooting the ball as much as possible, it's him. He barely needs any space or time to shoot. This is unrelated, but he kinda got hit a number of times tonight where the refs didn't call a foul.

I have extra tough on blake as a starter compared to devoe, I always thought devoe should be the 2 and blake was always more of an extra shooting guard. I have also been hard on blake because I have felt he wasn't moving enough on offense or utilizing screens to be effective. tonight blake was great! he worked his ass off around screens, he led his defender perfectly into picks, he drove and popped, all I can say is he was great tonight and I hope he continues to show he isn't just a transition 3 point shooter or a stand and shoot kind of guy. if he continues to do what he did tonight whether he scores big or not it will show how wrong I was! I hope he continues to prove me wrong!

10-15 FG
4-6 3-pt
4 assists
3 TOs (yuck) One was the missed foul with a couple minutes left and one was a long pass to RW that was just a bit short. I will take both of those on hyper aggressive plays. The third TO was just a bad decision as he dribbled into 4 defenders in the zone.

Love Blake's new aggressive offensive look...he is finally acting like the Senior leader and top scorer on this team.

Tonight was one of the first times in his career that Blake took what the defense gave him, didn't just hunt for threes and realized that it is OK to shoot 12-16 footers.

Ok, so I've been mulling this one over for a while now and I think I figured it out:

This is the first game you've seen this year.

Am I right?

Dboy is a great college basketball mind. After his takes on Jared S. and Blake H., he will probably be on tomorrow talking about how much Kemba Walker is overrated and hasn't proven himself among top teams.

This litttle curl that Tubby has put in for Blake is a very nice addition to his game. I think it will also help free up the 3 more often for him.

Dboy is a great college basketball mind. After his takes on Jared S. and Blake H., he will probably be on tomorrow talking about how much Kemba Walker is overrated and hasn't proven himself among top teams.

Dboy is overrated.:cool02:

Blake constantly moves without the ball. Devoe mostly only moves with the ball when he plays sg. Blake does a good job of using screens, there just aren't always enough set for him. He's never been just a transition 3 point shooter. He's great at that, but that's never been how he gets most of his threes. If there's one guy who I don't mind shooting the ball as much as possible, it's him. He barely needs any space or time to shoot. This is unrelated, but he kinda got hit a number of times tonight where the refs didn't call a foul.

you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to your first 2 sentences! blake has never worked so hard to get open in his career, and he has never shot off the dribble as much as he did last night. he played great and I hope this a trend and not just a one game tease. if blake were to be this active on offense all year he would be around 20 a game!

Many of Blakes rubbing off of picks came for great Colt picks. He is a physical presence.

GopherJake:

I have watched plenty.

I watched him against Carolina when 14 of his 15 shots were 3s.
And West Virginia when 9 of 10 were 3s.
Virginia where 11 of 14 were 3s.
Michigan State where 8 of 10 were 3s
And Ohio State where 4 of his 6 shots were 3s.

This was a different Blake and an improved Blake.

If you don't believe me, just listen to Matt Painter:

"Before it was just a jump shot; now he can get in the lane make that one-dribble pull-up or that little floater," said Painter, whose team lost for the first time since Nov. 27. "He does a great job passing the basketball. He's just developed into a great player."

GopherJake:

I have watched plenty.

"Before it was just a jump shot; now he can get in the lane make that one-dribble pull-up or that little floater," said Painter, whose team lost for the first time since Nov. 27. "He does a great job passing the basketball. He's just developed into a great player."

Those are nice stats. Tell me something - how many times has Painter been afforded the opportunity to comment on Blake's game this year? Would it be ONE?

My point, anonymous/dboy is that Blake has been working on these types of additions to his game all year. Yes, last night was the best display of that, but it's not like it just magically appeared. He's been working on it. If you can't see that, you haven't been watching.

I know the Boiler Boys on here were commenting how Ryne Smith would be the guy defending on Blake.. and until later in the game, he was. Thankfully.

My unofficial count was:

First half through 15:14 remaining in the second:
Hoffarber: 9/11 from the field (4/5 3FG)
Last 15:14:
Hoffarber: 1/4 (0/1 3FG)

Might want to think about handing that assignment to Barlow from tipoff on 1/29.

I'm glad Moore puked on himself again - we needed that. Purdue better hope he gets back to semi-normal quickly.

Painter waited way too long to switch Kelsey onto Hoff, and way too long to call that timeout on the last possession. Two mistakes that may have cost the game.

E'Twaun also ended up on Hoff for part of the time and sucked equally.

dboy wonders why this thread was not started after the wisky game.
dboy wonders why a 'yes, we confirm, sullinger is first team all american' was not started yesterday after he went 12/7 and fouled out.
dboy has not audited sullinger for bunnies lately because his stats are below an audit threshold.
dboy knows sullinger has bunnies.
dboy knows GH knows sullinger has bunnies.
dboy knows GH knows dboy knows sullinger has bunnies.
dboy stands by hoff playing 15 minutes in 'an optimal situation'.

dboy wonders why this thread was not started after the wisky game.
dboy wonders why a 'yes, we confirm, sullinger is first team all american' was not started yesterday after he went 12/7 and fouled out.
dboy has not audited sullinger for bunnies lately because his stats are below an audit threshold.
dboy knows sullinger has bunnies.
dboy knows GH knows sullinger has bunnies.
dboy knows GH knows dboy knows sullinger has bunnies.

Swap out the "oy" for "ag" and I think you're on to something

I don't even know why I respond to you. Everyone knows that Blake is very good at moving without the ball. How else would he get open when he couldn't create his own shot until this year? Yes, last night he shot the most off the dribble, but he's done it a good amount most of the year.

you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to your first 2 sentences! blake has never worked so hard to get open in his career, and he has never shot off the dribble as much as he did last night. he played great and I hope this a trend and not just a one game tease. if blake were to be this active on offense all year he would be around 20 a game!

Does "optimal situation" mean playing on a National Championship team? Every team can use a great shooter. There aren't many teams where he'd find less than 15 min of playing time.

Kemba Walker is overrated but that's besides the point.

Outstanding game by Blake. That curl around to the FT line was unstoppable, and with good screens that will be a good play for us the rest of the year because Hoff gets his shot off so quickly.

Top Bottom