More Kentucky funnies

Plinnius

Reaction score
It looks like Kentucky's prized 21-year-old (in March) freshman Deandre Liggins might not be long for Lexington.

Kentucky's '08 recruiting class isn't looking too hot, especially when weighed against Tubby's class. Remember how Kentucky fans told us that BCG pulled Ralph Sampson's scholarship offer because he thought he looked apathetic during Kentucky's Midnight Madness? Brilliant.

That was funny, even the "FANS" are fighting amongst themselves. Gotta Love it.

I love that we have a new team to dislike, "hate" is reserved for Wisconsin.

Still waiting to see how it will be turned into Tubby's fault, even though it's Gillispie's recruit. No wonder why Tubby is so relaxed and having fun, what a soap opera.

Lots of problems with this one so far. This is the same " freshman " recruit that refused to re-enter the game at the Las Vegas tournament. Refused to go back in the game. He was rewarded with like 31 minutes the next day. Considered to be a big get for Kentucky. Not working out very well so far. A world of talent that they're having a hard time harnessing. I hope it works out for Liggins whatever happens.

Still waiting to see how it will be turned into Tubby's fault, even though it's Gillispie's recruit. No wonder why Tubby is so relaxed and having fun, what a soap opera.

Best day for UK coach? His first day on the job.

Worst day for UK coach? Day after he wins his first NC.

2nd best day for UK coach? Day after he leaves.

They have got to be the dumbest fans in the history of the world. they have a thread asking if gillispie'' inherited a mess'' and alot of them are saying he did, if thats the case then what did tubby inherit, and why are the gophers so far ahead of the kittens. I'm takin bets that the hoosiers catch and pass them next year.

They have got to be the dumbest fans in the history of the world. they have a thread asking if gillispie'' inherited a mess'' and alot of them are saying he did, if thats the case then what did tubby inherit, and why are the gophers so far ahead of the kittens. I'm takin bets that the hoosiers catch and pass them next year.

They're so deluded, aren't they? Tubby left UK with Joe Crawford, Ramel Bradley, Jodie Meeks, Derrick Jasper, and a stud recruit named Patrick Patterson who was just days away from committing to UK before Tubby left. To add to that, Gillispie signed Alex Legion. Now you tell me, how is that team a mess??? If the Gophers had just one of those players, we'd probably be undefeated right now.

What I don't understand, is that Matta, Howland, and Thompson III took their respective teams to the Final Four in their 3rd seasons. Billy's 3rd season is next year. Why is it that UK is still struggling? OSU, G'town and UCLA were in far worse shape than UK was when those head coaches took over.

The stuff with Liggins is disappointing. The young man has loads of talent and potential but doesn't have his head on straight. Gillispie believes in him (he's avg 20 mins a game) but expects more. If he would give the effort of a Mike Porter he'd be the starting point guard and Kentucky's record would be a lot better. Coach Gillispie isn't just going to hand anybody anything.

Coach Smith had similar problems with Rajon Rondo and a few others during his tenure. It's more of a sign of the times than anything else. The systems that produce these highly coveted prospects, the status available to them at such an early age, is problematic. Parents, coaches, the support systems also play a part. I coach youth basketball and I see it even in the elementary and middle school levels. My own son (who is 8 years old) is a very athletic and talented basketball player and I've had "recruiting offers" for him from other coaches. I've always politely declined but it just disappoints me. Children should not be viewed as commodities. A great recent example of what I'm talking about is DeMar DeRozan of Southern Cal

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jo-derozan011509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sad, sad story.

As to the "mess" both coaches inherited problems. Kentucky's talent level (by our standards) was down. Performance had been suffering both in conference and nationally. Gillispie is doing a good job upgrading that. Hopefully, Jodie and Patrick will stay around to join two really nice prospects in Daniel Orton and Jon Hood along with G.J. Vilariano. In another year, Dominque Ferguson arrives and might be the best forward prospect, regardless of grade, in the nation. We're in full on rebuilding mode and it takes time.

They're so deluded, aren't they? Tubby left UK with Joe Crawford, Ramel Bradley, Jodie Meeks, Derrick Jasper, and a stud recruit named Patrick Patterson who was just days away from committing to UK before Tubby left. To add to that, Gillispie signed Alex Legion. Now you tell me, how is that team a mess??? If the Gophers had just one of those players, we'd probably be undefeated right now.

Are you talking about this season or last? We're better this season but not quite where we need to be. Problems at point guard, small forward and power forward (Patterson is really playing the "5") are still hurting us.

What I don't understand, is that Matta, Howland, and Thompson III took their respective teams to the Final Four in their 3rd seasons. Billy's 3rd season is next year. Why is it that UK is still struggling? OSU, G'town and UCLA were in far worse shape than UK was when those head coaches took over.

Ben Howland was 29-28 his first two years at UCLA. No senior class, a junior class with only one elite level prospect and a nice role player, a soph. stud in Patterson, and a bunch of freshman/ first year players.

The stuff with Liggins is disappointing. The young man has loads of talent and potential but doesn't have his head on straight. Gillispie believes in him (he's avg 20 mins a game) but expects more. If he would give the effort of a Mike Porter he'd be the starting point guard and Kentucky's record would be a lot better. Coach Gillispie isn't just going to hand anybody anything.

Coach Smith had similar problems with Rajon Rondo and a few others during his tenure. It's more of a sign of the times than anything else. The systems that produce these highly coveted prospects, the status available to them at such an early age, is problematic. Parents, coaches, the support systems also play a part. I coach youth basketball and I see it even in the elementary and middle school levels. My own son (who is 8 years old) is a very athletic and talented basketball player and I've had "recruiting offers" for him from other coaches. I've always politely declined but it just disappoints me. Children should not be viewed as commodities. A great recent example of what I'm talking about is DeMar DeRozan of Southern Cal

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jo-derozan011509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sad, sad story.

As to the "mess" both coaches inherited problems. Kentucky's talent level (by our standards) was down. Performance had been suffering both in conference and nationally. Gillispie is doing a good job upgrading that. Hopefully, Jodie and Patrick will stay around to join two really nice prospects in Daniel Orton and Jon Hood along with G.J. Vilariano. In another year, Dominque Ferguson arrives and might be the best forward prospect, regardless of grade, in the nation. We're in full on rebuilding mode and it takes time.

And yet, Rajon Rondo was effusive in his praise for Tubby Smith in a national article published last month. (Words to the effect, Tubby Is Great - He Taught Me How To play Defense)

The UK roster in March 2007 included Morris, Crawford, Bradley, Meeks, Jasper, Stevenson, and "ready to commit" Patterson and Jai Lucas.

UK "rebuilding" from 131-40 (77%) record the 5 years prior to Gillispie. Restructuring would be a better description.

Are you talking about this season or last? We're better this season but not quite where we need to be. Problems at point guard, small forward and power forward (Patterson is really playing the "5") are still hurting us.

Ben Howland was 29-28 his first two years at UCLA. No senior class, a junior class with only one elite level prospect and a nice role player, a soph. stud in Patterson, and a bunch of freshman/ first year players.

No doubt, disappointing recruiting results so far (except Patterson). Alex Legion was a bust (and transferred). The 2008 recruits watch from the bench more often than not.

Joe Hall was in NC game (runner-up in his 3rd year at UK). Eddie Sutton was 32-4 in his 1st year. Rick Pitino was a Laettner prayer away from FF in his 3rd year. Tubby won SEC, SECT, and NC in his 1st year.

Gillispie is 34-19 midway through his 2nd year. He better Giddy Up.

Gillispie has never been near FF. Never won postseason conference tourney. Actually has Below .500 record in postseason (NCAA, NIT, or conference) tourney games. FF is a ways off for him.

Truth & FoT

'tis a Gopher board, gents, not a Kentucky (nor a Smith vs Gillespie) board.

Is the grass growing in Kentucky yet? It would be more interesting to watch than your recent exchanges on a Gopher board.

Then what do you think....

.... Gopher fans are like who defend Brewster?:confused:

Oh, that's different?:rolleyes:

Truth & FoT

Is the grass growing in Kentucky yet? It would be more interesting to watch than your recent exchanges on a Gopher board.

Actually, not yet. Most of KY got blanketed by a severe ice & snow storm last week. 100's of 1000's are without power and 12's died as a result of the storm.

The comments in the link are pretty funny. And I thought that it gets chippy around here. I love how they call BCG "Coach."

No ill will intended......

but I do want to see how Kentucky does, and yes, what they have to say about OUR beloved Tubby. What astounds Gopher fans, who have been pining for consistant success for years, is how someone could let a coach like this get away!

(insert FOT's multi-page OTS stats here)

Yet in college bb terms, 10 years is a very good run, especially in a fish bowl like Kentucky. Think of our own situation, both Dutcher and Clem were here about that long, Pitino and Joe B. at Kentucky had roughy the same length of service. So I do not blame the zealots for getting restless. Still it is a sign you don't know what you have when you choose to call him 10 loss Tubby, instead of 20 win Tubby, which happens to be a much longer streak.

In letting Tubby go (yes I know he technically left on his own) they let a gentleman AND a great coach get away, and while Gillispie may prove yet he can get them back to the top, he appears to be doing it in a very heavy handed way, and that doesn't play well with many of today's young personalitities.

I'll keep watching them, and no matter what they say, they'll keep watching us. It's certainly great theatre if nothing else.

Truth & FoT

I understand what you're saying but posting about Kentucky (or any other general topic concerning college basketball) says to me you wish to discuss a wide range of topics. It's not as if I'm the one starting threads about Kentucky on a Gopher board. If you don't want another perspective perhaps you should police your board in a different way i.e. only allow topics pertaining solely to Gopher basketball.

I understand what you're saying but posting about Kentucky (or any other general topic concerning college basketball) says to me you wish to discuss a wide range of topics. It's not as if I'm the one starting threads about Kentucky on a Gopher board. If you don't want another perspective perhaps you should police your board in a different way i.e. only allow topics pertaining solely to Gopher basketball.

Aren't you impressed with how a Gopher team that was 9-22 in 2007 flipped that record to 20-14 with mostly the same players against a similar schedule in 2008?

And how Minnesota signed a Top 20 class in 2008 for the first time in many years?

And how the Gophers went undefeated through OOC schedule (beating Louisville) and are 18-3 with 3 W over ranked teams plus being ranked (#19 both polls) for the first time in many years?

And how Minnesota signed a Top 15 class in 2009 with 2 local standouts Royce White and Rodney Williams headlining the class?

Then talk about the Gophers. It's that simple.

golden rule is

if you dont like topic, ignore it. Personally I dont mind the ky threads. better than the "OMG - Tubby is Leaving!" threads. ( I try to ignore them ). And yes, I like FOT too.

Top Bottom