Colton Iverson to start versus Purdue

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Trevor will come off the bench. Record turnout for media at Tubbys pregame conference. He and Trevor had opening statements, but did not take questions regarding the arrest.

Trevor will come off the bench. Record turnout for media at Tubbys pregame conference. He and Trevor had opening statements, but did not take questions regarding the arrest.

Our local press LOVES Gopher basketball don't they!! :)

I think colton should have been starting a few games ago, just not for trevor...

For those who do not want to look it up on KSTP, here is there little article on it.

Mbakwe Apologizes to Gopher Team, Fans for Arrest
Gopher basketball player Trevor Mbakwe apologized to University of Minnesota sports fans and his teammates Wednesday after being arrested earlier this week for violating a restraining order.

"I'd just like to apologize to everybody for this being a distraction to the team, I'm just looking forward to the future and getting this behind me," Mbakwe told reporters during the team's practice at Williams Arena.

"I was just trying to reach out and be generous, but it backfired on me and I would just like to apologize to everybody."

Mbakwe was arrested Monday night after he was picked up by campus police at a home on the 1000 block of 29th Avenue SE in Minneapolis.

Police say the Gophers standout violated a restraining order when he posted a Facebook message on a woman's page. St. Paul Police said the woman called police to report the post, which was a violation of the restraining order.

On Tuesday, University of Minnesota Athletic Director Joel Maturi and head basketball coach Tubby Smith announced Mbakwe would not be suspended, calling the incident "a lapse in judgment."

In a statement, coach Smith said: "I believe his actions were well intended but misguided, and we have made the decision not to suspend him after looking into the matter further."

Wednesday's interview was the first time Mbakwe has commented publicly on the arrest.

The link in case people want to see the video: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1921874.shtml?cat=1

He's right, this is nothing compared to the crap this team's been through the last couple years, they found ways to rise up and make something of it in the past, hope they can do the same this year.

Seems like a fair resolution to the issue. He plays but does not start.

I think colton should have been starting a few games ago, just not for trevor...

You bring up an interesting point. I'm not sure that Tubby thinks Colt can play at the same time as Trevor effectively and he might be right. They both have to work close to the basket, neither shoots well or is a ball handler. Both are bangers and TM is right now the better of the bangers by a good margin. One thing about Iverson- just a fan's view - he's the type of kid that gets more comfortable once he's been out there banging elbows for a few minutes. If he was getting 25 minutes he'd play a lot better. The problem is where to play him. If I were Tubby and TM returns next year I'd talk to Iverson about perhaps redshirting and play EE behind Trevor. I still think Iverson could be a star for us in the right situation.

bga1 - I like your analysis and I agree. That would be interesting to see Colton redshirt and he might be agreeable to have another year to develop into the real stud he could be before an NBA draft. I believe he is much improved from last year, but just hasn't found a consistent groove to be "the man". I'd love to see him develop a deft shooting touch from within 10 feet. I believe that would help open-up his on-the-block game. It was great to see him hit one of those shots in a recent game (which one?) My response was --"oh,yeah!"

You bring up an interesting point. I'm not sure that Tubby thinks Colt can play at the same time as Trevor effectively and he might be right. They both have to work close to the basket, neither shoots well or is a ball handler. Both are bangers and TM is right now the better of the bangers by a good margin. One thing about Iverson- just a fan's view - he's the type of kid that gets more comfortable once he's been out there banging elbows for a few minutes. If he was getting 25 minutes he'd play a lot better. The problem is where to play him. If I were Tubby and TM returns next year I'd talk to Iverson about perhaps redshirting and play EE behind Trevor. I still think Iverson could be a star for us in the right situation.

Interesting. Ofcourse, it assumes Walker and Mbakwe will be back. Who knows. Tubby may have another big stud on board by then.

bga1 - I like your analysis and I agree. That would be interesting to see Colton redshirt and he might be agreeable to have another year to develop into the real stud he could be before an NBA draft. I believe he is much improved from last year, but just hasn't found a consistent groove to be "the man". I'd love to see him develop a deft shooting touch from within 10 feet. I believe that would help open-up his on-the-block game. It was great to see him hit one of those shots in a recent game (which one?) My response was --"oh,yeah!"

I know the shot you speak of- I think it was the Indiana game at home.

Zero chance Colt or any other junior for that matter would ever redshirt after their junior season unless it is injury/legal related. That is absurd.

Zero chance Colt or any other junior for that matter would ever redshirt after their junior season unless it is injury/legal related. That is absurd.

+1. There's no reason he would redshirt at this point in his career. Besides, I'd say the odds that Walker, Mbakwe and Sampson are all on the team next year is about 25%.

This may be a dominating game for Colt. In the games against North Carolina and West Virginia, Colt was a beast. I think Purdue is more like those teams than other teams we have played. Trevor will still get his minutes but Colt may be the difference in the game!

This may be a dominating game for Colt. In the games against North Carolina and West Virginia, Colt was a beast. I think Purdue is more like those teams than other teams we have played. Trevor will still get his minutes but Colt may be the difference in the game!

I think all three big men could and should have nice games. Johnson is probably going to have to err on the side of playing soft D to avoid foul trouble, and Purdue doesn't really have any other major front court talent (they started four guards in their last game). So it should be a nice opportunity for our big men to be more assertive, to either exploit Johnson's having to play cautiously or to get him into foul trouble.

I think this is a game where Mo could have really been useful, because his size alone would have created huge problems for Purdue.

Make of this what you will, but JJ has been much better about foul trouble this year, and is defending at least just as well.

+1. There's no reason he would redshirt at this point in his career. Besides, I'd say the odds that Walker, Mbakwe and Sampson are all on the team next year is about 25%.

Even if he is going to play behind Trevor all year next year? I agree that the chances are slim but there are definitely reasons to do it that could benefit both player and team. Walker and Iverson are a better match to play together in a few years because Walker can shoot it from outside. Just one perspective.

Iverson redshirt during his senior year? Haha, I'm sure he'd just love to take that offer.

Even if he is going to play behind Trevor all year next year? I agree that the chances are slim but there are definitely reasons to do it that could benefit both player and team. Walker and Iverson are a better match to play together in a few years because Walker can shoot it from outside. Just one perspective.

If anyone is going to redshirt it would be Walker. You don't ask a kid who's going into his senior season, and done nothing to warrant it, to redshirt behind two sophmores. You just don't. Besides, Trevor being on the team next year is no sure bet. There's a slight chance Sampson could go pro, (unlikely given the season he's having, but you never know) and there's also a chance Mo could transfer. But even if none of those things happen, you still don't ask Colt to redshirt. Either deal with excess bounty, or ask Mo to redshirt. It's entirely possible the extra time to recover would be helpful to him.

If anyone is going to redshirt it would be Walker. You don't ask a kid who's going into his senior season, and done nothing to warrant it, to redshirt behind two sophmores. You just don't. Besides, Trevor being on the team next year is no sure bet. There's a slight chance Sampson could go pro, (unlikely given the season he's having, but you never know) and there's also a chance Mo could transfer. But even if none of those things happen, you still don't ask Colt to redshirt. Either deal with excess bounty, or ask Mo to redshirt. It's entirely possible the extra time to recover would be helpful to him.

I think Walker might need another year to get in shape and let his knee heal. Don't forget, Eliason is redshirting this year.

I think Walker might need another year to get in shape and let his knee heal. Don't forget, Eliason is redshirting this year.

I understand that, so obviously he can't redshirt again. But you're still asking Colt to sit out what should be his senior so a sophmore and a r/s freshman can play instead. It would be an absurd thing to ask of him, and I see zero chance Tubby would do so. If he did, Colt would be fully within his rights to say 'forget this' and go play D-II somewhere. Bottom-line is that if everyone is available next year, either Mo sits or we have absurd front-court depth.

I understand that, so obviously he can't redshirt again. But you're still asking Colt to sit out what should be his senior so a sophmore and a r/s freshman can play instead. It would be an absurd thing to ask of him, and I see zero chance Tubby would do so. If he did, Colt would be fully within his rights to say 'forget this' and go play D-II somewhere. Bottom-line is that if everyone is available next year, either Mo sits or we have absurd front-court depth.

I don't think bga was proposing it as a punishment. I think he meant it as a possible career move for Iverson. It's not going to happen, but it does make some sense "if" Trevor stays and Mo is able to play at 100%. If Iverson redshirts, he gains a ton of minutes with Trevor and Ralph graduating. Again, no chance of this taking place, but it isn't a moronic idea.

Someone brought-up the chance of Ralph leaving. No chance of that as well, at least in regard to leaving for the nba. Ralph is about as ready for the nba as Rickert was. I don't see one guy on this team that is a sure thing nba player. In fact, Iverson just might have as much chance as anyone.

Ralph is about as ready for the nba as Rickert was.
I'd argue that Rickert was WAY more ready for the NBA than Sampson.

I don't think that shows how ready Rickert was, but how ridiculously NOT ready Sampson is.

I'd argue that Rickert was WAY more ready for the NBA than Sampson.

I don't think that shows how ready Rickert was, but how ridiculously NOT ready Sampson is.

I agree here that Rickert was much more skilled than Sampson was, not that Rickert was really that ready for the NBA, he just thought he was.

I remember when Rickert and Holman first came here, and they had about 10 dunks the first game, I thought it was going to be special. Boy was I wrong.

Rickert was All Big Ten second team as a freshman and All Big Ten first team as a sophomore.

A better comparison for Ralph would be Jerry Holman- and no, Ralph is not yet at Holman's level.

Of course you don't ask. It's all hypothetical based upon Trevor's return. If I was Iverson and I was playing behind Trevor for my senior year- I'd ask to redshirt, then start picking up a masters in the process. Just an opinion- extremely doubtful it would happen. Walker doesn't need to redhirt ever. He's ready to help especially if he has a good conditioning summer. Kid is going to be very, very good if he works at it. All Big Ten potential in a few years.

I don't think bga was proposing it as a punishment. I think he meant it as a possible career move for Iverson. It's not going to happen, but it does make some sense "if" Trevor stays and Mo is able to play at 100%. If Iverson redshirts, he gains a ton of minutes with Trevor and Ralph graduating. Again, no chance of this taking place, but it isn't a moronic idea.

Someone brought-up the chance of Ralph leaving. No chance of that as well, at least in regard to leaving for the nba. Ralph is about as ready for the nba as Rickert was. I don't see one guy on this team that is a sure thing nba player. In fact, Iverson just might have as much chance as anyone.

That's exactly what I meant -thanks for explaining it better. I am a moron- but my post was good.:)

The Gophers need Colton to play. Without him, they likely lose to North Carolina, West Viginia and South Dakota this year.
Next year we have two guards coming. Need all the bigs to stay / play (injuries etc.)

Colton's stats -

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/81829

2010-11 Season FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
Date Opponent Score GS Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
Nov 12 Wofford W 69-55 1 23 4 11 36.4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 4 5 9 1 3 2 2 3 8
Nov 15 Siena W 76-69 0 16 2 3 66.7 0 0 0.0 2 4 50.0 2 3 5 0 1 1 1 0 6
Nov 18 Western Kentucky W 95-77 0 8 2 3 66.7 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 3 4
Nov 19 @North Carolina W 72-67 0 13 2 2 100.0 0 0 0.0 3 4 75.0 2 9 11 0 2 0 1 4 7
Nov 21 @West Virginia W 74-70 0 28 5 7 71.4 0 0 0.0 5 9 55.6 4 4 8 1 3 1 2 4 15
Nov 24 North Dakota State W 84-65 0 17 3 8 37.5 0 0 0.0 3 4 75.0 6 5 11 1 2 0 2 0 9
Nov 29 Virginia L 79-87 0 24 2 6 33.3 0 0 0.0 1 2 50.0 2 2 4 2 2 0 1 3 5
Dec 4 Cornell W 71-66 0 15 1 2 50.0 0 0 0.0 3 6 50.0 2 2 4 1 1 0 1 0 5
Dec 8 @St. Joseph's (PA) W 83-73 0 10 0 2 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 1 2 3 0 0 0 0 2 0
Dec 11 Eastern Kentucky W 71-58 0 16 3 5 60.0 0 0 0.0 0 1 0.0 2 2 4 0 2 1 0 1 6
Dec 15 Akron W 66-58 0 12 1 3 33.3 0 0 0.0 2 4 50.0 2 4 6 2 1 0 0 1 4
Dec 23 South Dakota State W 85-73 0 26 5 6 83.3 0 0 0.0 5 9 55.6 4 1 5 0 0 0 0 3 15
Dec 28 @Wisconsin L 60-68 0 20 1 5 20.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 2 5 7 0 1 0 1 1 2
Dec 31 @Michigan State L 62-71 0 21 2 6 33.3 0 0 0.0 3 4 75.0 0 4 4 0 1 0 0 3 7
Jan 4 Indiana W 67-63 0 12 0 2 0.0 0 0 0.0 4 4 100.0 1 2 3 1 2 0 1 2 4
Jan 9 @Ohio State L 64-67 0 19 1 4 25.0 0 0 0.0 2 2 100.0 0 2 2 1 2 2 1 3 4
Jan 13 Purdue

Of course you don't ask. It's all hypothetical based upon Trevor's return. If I was Iverson and I was playing behind Trevor for my senior year- I'd ask to redshirt, then start picking up a masters in the process. Just an opinion- extremely doubtful it would happen. Walker doesn't need to redhirt ever. He's ready to help especially if he has a good conditioning summer. Kid is going to be very, very good if he works at it. All Big Ten potential in a few years.

I guess if Colt 'wants' to do it. Sure. But I don't see him volunteering that way, and I don't see Tubby asking him to do it. Seriously, how often have the Gophers had anyone redshirt later then their sophomore season for anything other then medical/off-court reasons? I can't think of any. How often has Tubby had anyone do that? (Cue FOT.)

Top Bottom