Reusee: Clem in the age of Social Networking

Grammar and spelling police at GopherHole would have ripped him to shreds. Hard to believe that was written by a professional writer.

I'll take GL's blog any day.

"peA and vinegar"? I've never heard that one before.

How did Clem handle Courtney James? I honestly don't remember.

Grammar and spelling police at GopherHole would have ripped him to shreds. Hard to believe that was written by a professional writer.

I think the grammar and spelling were "quotes" of what was Tweeted/written on fb.

I personally thought it was a great article. I enjoyed a good laugh.

I enjoy GL's blog, but she's nowhere near the writer that Reusse is.

Shoddy beyond belief.

You lazy fat ass.

Please tell us what part you take exception to.

How did Clem handle Courtney James? I honestly don't remember.

Can't remember any specifics but I think they clashed at times. Eventually, James was convicted of assaulting a girl friend. Pretty sure he was suspended for a season, but he left school then to go pro.

Two other things Courtney will be remembered for. The recording KFAN (?) used to play of Shaq calling some local stripper wanting her to get right back to him. Supposedly Courtney's girlfriend. And, of course, the famous paper he handed in for a class. Written by Jan Ganglehoff (sp?) and on some topic like menopause.

I normally enjoy Reusse columns. He usually hits the nail on the head in my opinion. But here he seems to be trying too hard to be the hard hitting reporter he never was. His comments on Clem were pretty good but his feigned indignation about Trevor's comments are a little bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Reusse says a lot of things that are far from PC.

Please tell us what part you take exception to.

From his Strib story Jan 9: "but for a sportswriter, it remains a privilege to have written the paragraphs -- complete with break-it-down quotes -- on Bobby Jackson and pals."

Jan 11 1500 article: "Clem did not put up roadblocks to media access with his players. He didn't have to. He already had put the fear of God into the lads about offering anything that would put the coach in a bad light."

So which is it? That the players in Clem's days were so garrulous and spontaneous that they could entertain Patrick for hours, or were they so tight lipped that they could only provide canned quotes so not to raise the ire of their coach?

"Several years later, there was a magnetic collection of personalities that brought the Gophers back from basketball oblivion...On it went -- Jim Shikenjanski, Walter Bond, Connell Lewis, Mario Green, big Bob Martin...". (Jan 9 article) Who doesn't recall the stirring quotes from larger than life personalities like those he so fondly rekindles in our collective memories? I have a difficult time believing that Patrick received only quotes that would stay within the strictures of "offering anything that would put the coach in a bad light" given his writing style and proclivity towards trying to unearth the seedy underbelly that only a seasoned veteran reporter can dig up. After all, there is not enough drama on the court to serve as his personal playground.

Jan 11 1500 article: ""Mbakwe allegedly continued calling the woman on June 19, 2009 after her roommate told him to never call her number again, the petition said. Mbakwe reportedly told the roommate, "White girl give (the woman) the phone." He later told the roommate he would harm her if she did not give his ex-girlfriend the phone.''

White girl - there was a nice touch, Trevor."

Leave that crap for the tabloid journalists. Yes, it was part of the petition, but to use third party hearsay as your closing punch as a final indictment of Mbakwe's character is lazy and something that I think a serious journalist would avoid.

It appears that Patrick misses the days when the players would do his job for him. Why go out of your way to discover something about the players or the team when it was so much easier to just turn on his tape recorder and them the players chatter away? Is it that he is mad that Tubby runs the team more like a Bill Belichick? Since Patrick was granted great access to the players, and that made for great theater for him during Clem's days, it only seems appropriate to use the lack of that same access to create false theater, right?

Jan 11 1500 article: "The hell that Clem would've raised with this player, and with anyone that had influence on him, would've have scalded the rust off the beams at Williams Arena. Bottom line: The junior still would be a Gopher _ or he would be in a sanitarium, trying to recover from his nervous breakdown. First, Clem would've have withered the player with a tongue lashing, and then he would've told - not asked, told - the athletic director that the power forward was going to play in Thursday's big home game with Purdue...Yet, it's the thought of Clem that had me smiling on the drive home late Tuesday afternoon"

So, the image of verbal abuse of the players and AD have Fatprick smiling on his drive home, and the alleged verbal abuse from Mbakwe has him shaking his head like a disappointed parent - there was a nice touch, Fatprick.

................So, the image of verbal abuse of the players and AD have Fatprick smiling on his drive home, and the alleged verbal abuse from Mbakwe has him shaking his head like a disappointed parent - there was a nice touch, Fatprick.

Fair points. I do see your points, though I read the article from farther back.

I'll grant that it wasn't Reusse's finest hour. But I strongly disagree that he only looks for dirt to write about. The fact is, this program has largely been a mess since Clem's world fell apart. Last year was supposed to be a long overdue resurrection, but turned into the biggest mess in a decade (the end of the year notwithstanding). This season was supposed to be a do-over and the seams are again straining. It's tiring and makes me pine again for that 1997 season. So I get where Reusse is coming from.

If you want nothing but feel-good, you will feel very comfortable with the brown nose of Mike Max.

I enjoy GL's blog, but she's nowhere near the writer that Reusse is.

I don't know that you can compare the two. They are completely different jobs. GopherLady is a reporter/blogger (and a very good one at that) and Reusse is a columnist.

I think there's a fair & accurate contrast between the two coaches in there somewhere. Tubby seems OK with giving his guys enough rope to hang themselves. Clem tended to intervene to prevent their failure.

From his Strib story Jan 9: "but for a sportswriter, it remains a privilege to have written the paragraphs -- complete with break-it-down quotes -- on Bobby Jackson and pals."

Jan 11 1500 article: "Clem did not put up roadblocks to media access with his players. He didn't have to. He already had put the fear of God into the lads about offering anything that would put the coach in a bad light."

So which is it? That the players in Clem's days were so garrulous and spontaneous that they could entertain Patrick for hours, or were they so tight lipped that they could only provide canned quotes so not to raise the ire of their coach?

"Several years later, there was a magnetic collection of personalities that brought the Gophers back from basketball oblivion...On it went -- Jim Shikenjanski, Walter Bond, Connell Lewis, Mario Green, big Bob Martin...". (Jan 9 article) Who doesn't recall the stirring quotes from larger than life personalities like those he so fondly rekindles in our collective memories? I have a difficult time believing that Patrick received only quotes that would stay within the strictures of "offering anything that would put the coach in a bad light" given his writing style and proclivity towards trying to unearth the seedy underbelly that only a seasoned veteran reporter can dig up. After all, there is not enough drama on the court to serve as his personal playground.

Jan 11 1500 article: ""Mbakwe allegedly continued calling the woman on June 19, 2009 after her roommate told him to never call her number again, the petition said. Mbakwe reportedly told the roommate, "White girl give (the woman) the phone." He later told the roommate he would harm her if she did not give his ex-girlfriend the phone.''

White girl - there was a nice touch, Trevor."

Leave that crap for the tabloid journalists. Yes, it was part of the petition, but to use third party hearsay as your closing punch as a final indictment of Mbakwe's character is lazy and something that I think a serious journalist would avoid.

It appears that Patrick misses the days when the players would do his job for him. Why go out of your way to discover something about the players or the team when it was so much easier to just turn on his tape recorder and them the players chatter away? Is it that he is mad that Tubby runs the team more like a Bill Belichick? Since Patrick was granted great access to the players, and that made for great theater for him during Clem's days, it only seems appropriate to use the lack of that same access to create false theater, right?

Jan 11 1500 article: "The hell that Clem would've raised with this player, and with anyone that had influence on him, would've have scalded the rust off the beams at Williams Arena. Bottom line: The junior still would be a Gopher _ or he would be in a sanitarium, trying to recover from his nervous breakdown. First, Clem would've have withered the player with a tongue lashing, and then he would've told - not asked, told - the athletic director that the power forward was going to play in Thursday's big home game with Purdue...Yet, it's the thought of Clem that had me smiling on the drive home late Tuesday afternoon"

So, the image of verbal abuse of the players and AD have Fatprick smiling on his drive home, and the alleged verbal abuse from Mbakwe has him shaking his head like a disappointed parent - there was a nice touch, Fatprick.

Well done, sir.

I love how people get angry with Pat when he takes potshots at Gopher teams or players, yet those same people call him "Fat Pat."

And by love I mean hate.

This is a serious question. What does Reusse like? He constantly writes semi-satirical but yet he may be trying to be serious columns. Does he actually like sports? Like any team in this town? Like any particular sports figure? All i can see is that the less he writes about a team/figure, the more he must like them. I do not know what to think of him. I am young enough and not from the Twin Cities so my Star Tribune knowledge is somewhat recent, but I do not get him. He seems like such negative a** hole in nearly everything he writes. I wish he was not from SW MN like I am.

This is a serious question. What does Reusse like? He constantly writes semi-satirical but yet he may be trying to be serious columns. Does he actually like sports? Like any team in this town? Like any particular sports figure? All i can see is that the less he writes about a team/figure, the more he must like them. I do not know what to think of him. I am young enough and not from the Twin Cities so my Star Tribune knowledge is somewhat recent, but I do not get him. He seems like such negative a** hole in nearly everything he writes. I wish he was not from SW MN like I am.

He likes Target Field. He generally seems to like the Twins. He likes the 'good-old days.' Whether it be Gopher BB or FB or the Vikings, etc. But he basically has nothing positive to say about any current team in town other then the Twins.

If he's still writing at Sid's age we may well read glowing columns about Legendary Coach Tubby and his teams ofcolorful characters like Mbakwe and his misguided adventures in those things called Twitter and Facebook (remember them?). But he certainly doesn't seem inclined to give us that now.

Reusse likes the old days, mostly because they give him an easy way to compare and denigrate our current sports scene. He also likes fatty foods.

I love how people get angry with Pat when he takes potshots at Gopher teams or players, yet those same people call him "Fat Pat."

And by love I mean hate.

Come on Josh, he's a smarmy sports columnist. He gets paid to add insult to injury. As if nobody is aware the Gophers have a long and disappointing history in multiple sports... he sounds as though he thinks he's clever in reminding us of it several times a week.

He's earned some potshots.

Top Bottom