Breaking News - It looks like Trevor Mbakwe will be suspended

Can Maturi get fired? Today? Can we run him off instead of Trevor? He's one of the most clueless losers who's EVER been in charge of any athletic program ever. Seriously, the only good thing he's ever done for the University, and I mean EVER, was Tubby, and he fell right in Joel's lap. It's time to fire this moron and get somebody who is either a: actually knowledgeable/interested in sports, or b: at least competent at something having to do with organization/leadership. What a joke.

Ridiculous. What heat is he really getting for this? I can't believe anyone half reasonable would possibly call for a suspension unless they're just out to get this kid. You know what they should do? Stand Trevor up in front of the team, let him apologize for causing more distraction, and move on. Don't drag this out more than it has to, it's just not right to Trevor. Yes, he did a dumb thing, but intent has to be taken account for.

I honestly thought Maturi would come with some sense on this one, I'd be sorely disappointed if he went through with this, and that's not even from a Gopher fan perspective. I'd just hate to see some stupid stuff drag a kid down further than he already has been.

If this is true - we can't get rid of Maturi fast enough. Did Mbakwe err? Of course he did. However, if this program doesn't start showing the least bit of mercy and understanding for it's athletes- this hard line attitude will drive away any prospects of this program being competitive.

Maturi's office ought to have 5000 emails come at him expressing this today. What's his email address?

"Clearly Trevor is beyond bent out of shape about this, and could not feel any worse."

Sorry, not buying it, it's a little too late for that. He should have considered the consequences a couple days ago, before he made the poor decision.

What I don't get is how they can say he didn't break any team rules, but than get suspended. It just drives me crazy. I know we need to have accountablity for our players, but it's hard to sit here and see our players leave and what not for small thinks like a facebook message, while other schools have kids getting caught with drugs, getting DUI's and other things.....and only missing 1 game. Who knows, maybe it is just a one game thing, any longer and that is just crazy.

"Clearly Trevor is beyond bent out of shape about this, and could not feel any worse."

Sorry, not buying it, it's a little too late for that. He should have considered the consequences a couple days ago, before he made the poor decision.

Of course that's true. And whether he should have considered the consequences has nothing to do with how he feels now. Obviously he feels terrible. However, it doesn't change the fact that Maturi's a terrible AD.

I agree SS. However, there are things that are mean and criminal that you show no mercy for and then there are screw ups that you do show mercy for. This is a screw up by all appearances with no apparent malace attached. College teams take these kids in, make a ton of cash off of them and know full well that these kids aren't perfect. When they show a good attitude as I think Trevor has through two years of this (of his own making no doubt) I think occassionally you send back a little does of mercy and understanding.

He certainly should have, but I still feel bad for the kid.

Believe it or not so do I, but I feel much, much worse for Trevor's teammates.

Amen Hodger. Alleged assaults, restraining orders, a different high school or college almost every year. Any other restraining orders we don't know about? Either TM is the unluckiest person on the face of the earth or he's just not the brightest bulb on the tree and can't stay out of trouble. Which is it? I think it's fairly obvious....

Amen Hodger. Alleged assaults, restraining orders, a different high school or college almost every year. Any other restraining orders we don't know about? Either TM is the unluckiest person on the face of the earth or he's just not the brightest bulb on the tree and can't stay out of trouble. Which is it? I think it's fairly obvious....

It is fairly obvious, but it's also fairly obvious that most winning teams have rosters laden with these guys. The Auburn Football team definitely didn't look like a group of college students.

So, if we are going to be playing by our own set of rules, we'll be losing. A lot.

I never thought this could happen, but this season is now a bigger disaster than LAST season and that is saying a lot. What an F'ING disaster!!! We are now without Devoe AND Mbakwe?? this season is over.

Believe it or not so do I, but I feel much, much worse for Trevor's teammates.

This is true, but it was a Facebook message, it ain't like he drove to her crib and tried to holla at her. That's like a 2 second lapse in judgment. And the intent was pure. That's why I don't think he should be suspended....yet. Unless there is more to the story.

It is fairly obvious, but it's also fairly obvious that most winning teams have rosters laden with these guys. The Auburn Football team definitely didn't look like a group of college students.

So, if we are going to be playing by our own set of rules, we'll be losing. A lot.

Can't say I disagree. Just saying that Mbakwe clearly lacks common sense.

Can Maturi get fired? Today? Can we run him off instead of Trevor? He's one of the most clueless losers who's EVER been in charge of any athletic program ever. Seriously, the only good thing he's ever done for the University, and I mean EVER, was Tubby, and he fell right in Joel's lap. It's time to fire this moron and get somebody who is either a: actually knowledgeable/interested in sports, or b: at least competent at something having to do with organization/leadership. What a joke.

Put the blame where it belongs. Trevor broke the law and was tossed jail. Suspension is fine with me. This is 100% on TM.

Now if you would have chosen a different context for this rant, I would have agreed 100%.

You're a mind-reader, too?

"This is a screw up by all appearances with no apparent malice attached."

With all due respect bga1, you or I have no idea what Trevor's intent was. What we do know is that he made impermissible contact with someone he was not supposed to come in contact with. Heck, I'm not even making a judgment on what his punishment (if any) should or shouldn't be, I'm just sayin' let's put the lion's share of the onus on where it belongs (Trevor).

One note guys - before we do get all up in arms about this - it's not final. It's what he was leaning towards this morning, things could change in a heartbeat. I guess it's worth waiting for the final word...I just wanted to share what I had been told.

Interesting how so many gladly break out the knee pads and defend TM but I wonder what you'd say if he was hanging out with your college age daughter. Amazing how the ability to rebound a basketball changes one's perception.....

While I can't disagree with suspending him since he did in fact violate a legal no-contact order, what I don't like is that once again it seems the basis for the suspension in the eyes of Maturi is "we're taking heat or negative press."

He admitted this was the overriding factor in the Royce suspension last year for the alleged laptop involvement, and it looks like the media is forcing his hand again here. Maturi needs to stop obsessing with the media and his own public image, and focus on the details of the case and what is most appropriate action for the student athletes and the university.

This board is a bunch of frauds. You get up in arms and rip on Devoe for leaving cause he couldn't play for an "old school" coach like Tubby.

But when they get tough on a player who still matters everyone whines for leniency and to take it easy on the player...amazing

Everyone better send their emails to Bruininks, General Counsel Mark Rotenberg, and the Senior Vice Presidents in the Administriation. They are the people who made this decision. Maturi is just there to take the flak for them.

Maturi needs to stop obsessing with the media and his own public image, and focus on the details of the case and what is most appropriate action for the student athletes and the university.

It must be really hard to keep up the image of being an incompetent, bumbling idiot.

"This is a screw up by all appearances with no apparent malice attached."

With all due respect bga1, you or I have no idea what Trevor's intent was. What we do know is that he made impermissible contact with someone he was not supposed to come in contact with.

As I wrote Maturi- if it is what it appears to be then any suspension is too much. If on the other hand it's more than fine. Do you have any idea what his intent was? Are we to assume the worst of an "I hope all is well" type of message? Is there any possibility that he thought that a message sent through a firend wouldn't be contact? Again he appears to have screwed up plenty in the past. Is he guilty forever more? Guilty until proven innocent (yes- I know this isn't a court of law)?

I guess the next time we are going 57 mph in a 55 we should express absolutely no anger if a cop pulls us over and gives us a $150 fine for going 2 mph over huh? (I mean after all maybe we had been intending to go 70!!) Because that's what this APPEARS to amount to. If there's more there's more but sheesh..............

Top Bottom