Gophers 25th in the coaches poll

Very surprised we're still ranked in the Coaches. Right on the edge in the AP as well. Our next game is the most important of the season as far as momentum is concerned though. Need to protect home court, and we need a signature Big Ten win in the worst way. We do that, we'll continue to be ranked for probably the next few weeks (assuming we can take care of business against the lower teams).

Yep, the AP is out as well. 26th. with Michigan State behind us.

On the bright side Purdue is ranked 8th in both. It'll be a good win for us.

Hard to believe Oklahoma State isn't in the top 25 (or even one of the first couple teams out). Only 2 losses, and coming off of a home win vs. K-State. Sure, their non-conf. slate was soft other than the two games they lost, but given some of the performances of teams still ranked this week, I thought they would be in there.

Snooping around that link, I see we're 33rd in RPI and have 2 wins over top 25 RPI squads. This Purdue game is huge, to get a 3rd top 25 RPI win at this juncture of the season would be great. I just wish we could have snatched one of these last three roadies, definitely would have been huge resume boosters.

Gophs have 5 "marquee" games left, all but 1 at home

We probably should be less corcerned with the polls and more concerned about picking up a few more quality wins (as Monty points out). The Gophers haven't really beaten anyone of note since Puerto Rico.

The Gophers have 5 games left on the schedule where they can open the Selection Committee's eyes and add some steak to their resume. ... Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State & Purdue twice. 4 of those 5 are at home. Win at least 3 of those 5 and that should get the Gophers to at least 5 top-50 wins, usually a safe bet (Illinois last year was an exception) for an at-large NCAA bid, so long as we take care of business vs. the rest of the Big Ten (a big assumption at this point, I know).

#40 in Sagarin

...which takes into account score margin.

Pretty safe bet for the tournament as the RPI currently stands, but they can't afford to slip or slump.

Until the Gophers figure out how to win on the road, can't slip up against anyone (even the big boys) at home. If we lose Thursday, my gut tells me we're in trouble. Win and we're still in solid shape & nowhere near approaching the dreaded bubble.

At this point we don't have the look of a team capable of blowing out anyone, anywhere, including the Indianas, Iowas and Penn States of the Big Ten. I consider no game on the Gophers' schedule a gimme' at this point. Certainly Iowa and Penn State look improved, not so sure about Indiana and their pace-and-clap maniac of a coach.

just a side note, but looking at the various polls, MN is the first ranked team Ohio State has played

I Don't Think Gophers Are Playing Like Top 25 Team Right Now

They have that potential.

Purdue is playing like a solid Top 10 team.

They have that potential.

Purdue is playing like a solid Top 10 team.

I would agree, though there's been a plethora of top 25 losses this year, no one's really looked all that impressive. I think our work so far keeps us in the top 25. A win over Purdue this week would cement that though.

just a side note, but looking at the various polls, MN is the first ranked team Ohio State has played

Florida was ranked #10 when Ohio State beat them by 18 on the road I believe. And I wanna say Florida State was ranked #22 when Ohio State beat them. They didn't play a non-conference tournament, and their Big Ten schedule has been wins against Indiana and Iowa, then of course beating Minnesota, and their next 3 games are against Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa again. Minnesota was their first "real" opponent in probably 5 weeks or more, and they won by 3 points on their home floor. Ohio State is good, but they've hardly proven themselves against anyone good this season, and won't be able to until 1/22 when they play Illinois in Champaign, and then take on Purdue in Columbus on the 25th.

I'm not too surprised we're still ranked, cause if there is such a thing as a 'good' or quality loss, I would consider losing by 3 points on the road to an unbeaten Ohio State team to be just that.

Purdue has been really surprising, after how bad they looked without Hummell last year, I figured more of the same this year but they have opened my eyes. Cant believe Michigan State still in the top 25, come on man. Gophers dont deserve to be ranked either, but I guess the coaches know what theyre talking about.

I'd have to disagree here. My roommate is from Stillwater so I watch Ok State fairly often. As you mentioned they've pretty much played absolutely nobody. They've played 3 decent opponents and lost to two of them. That was a nice home victory against Kansas State, but they haven't exactly looked great. I don't think there's any reason to put a team in the top 25 for winning against one decent opponent at home. I like Moses and Olukemi but the other players not so much. Paige and Penn are decent but they're both tiny.

Hard to believe Oklahoma State isn't in the top 25 (or even one of the first couple teams out). Only 2 losses, and coming off of a home win vs. K-State. Sure, their non-conf. slate was soft other than the two games they lost, but given some of the performances of teams still ranked this week, I thought they would be in there.

Top Bottom