Gophers Climb To 19th In The Coaches Poll

Wow. The highest ranked team from the SEC is LSU at #33. I am beginning to wonder whether this will be a record low number of tournament participants from a BCS level conference. Lunardi has 5 teams from the SEC in the tourney (Tennessee #6, Kentucky #6, Florida #7, LSU #10, South Carolina #12) but I don't think there is anyway that happens. Outside of Tennesee at 19 and Florida at 35 in the RPI everybody else has a lot of making up to do to help their case.

It is my opinion that Purdue is not better than MSU, but I guess we'll see on the 17th

I still can't shake the second half of the first game against Michigan St. That probably their best 30 minutes all season...they really took it to us. I also watched them get every chance in the world to comeback on Penn St at home and they couldn't do it. They are dangerous but inconsistent.

I would have had a message board hissy fit if Georgetown or Notre Dame managed to hold their ranking. At least a week overdue in the case of the Irish.

I agree that MSU played...

about as good as it can at the Barn. They were really clicking. We certainly got one of Purdue's best efforts as well.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace.
Notre Dame's in 37th place.

Louisville goes down

And should fall to about 15 as I posted earlier. The Gophers beating Michigan State should rise to 12.

Pretty happy with those rankings. They seem about right. Another poster called it though - there is a real traffic jam south of 15. That happens a lot I guess around this time of year, but it does seem worse to me this year than in the past. Maybe that's because I care more about the Goph's place in line when they are in the thick of it. In the past, it was hard to get that worked up about parsing anything below the top ten. Somebody out there has probably done some sort of volatility study on mid-season, mid-tier rankings and can statistically put this in proper context. I can't.

Not that I think the Gophs got cheated, in the polls but I'm thinking that Texas and Gonzaga are way getting the benefit of the doubt right now. I think Mizzou could take TX this week.

While defending the Irish is something completely new for me, I can't get on board trashing them this year. That schedule of theirs is a real bear! Not sure how you rank them with that many consecutive losses, but jeesh.

Also, yea, I know it's just a bunch of quirky polls and they are meaningless at the end of the season, but they do matter mid-season. It's fun to see the team get the regular national media attention that comes with it. Can't hurt w/r/t recruiting too.

If/when they fall out of the top 25 and we stop seeing and hearing as much about them, we'll recognize the difference. Here's hoping that doesn't happen until Sara Palin is reelected POTUS.

I agree minimax, as much as i hate ND and most always root against them, they did have a rediculous schedule.

On to the Gophers! Bout time we get recognized. I am pretty sure that since we have been in the polls, a jump up 5 places was the biggest jump we have made! I wonder what a win against Michigan State and Ohio State would put us at?

Top Bottom