Good game boys

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
we easily could've won. that lifts my spirits about this team. way to fight. lets beat purdue!:clap:

But, again we didn't! I'm sick of my alma mater losing. We are bad or average at every sport that matters.

But, again we didn't! I'm sick of my alma mater losing. We are bad or average at every sport that matters.

what do you define as bad basketball wise? Losing to 3 really good teams on the road?

we easily could've won. that lifts my spirits about this team. way to fight. lets beat purdue!:clap:

Absolutely! It's painful we haven't been able to pull out any of these first three road games, but we aren't getting blown out of the gym like we have the last few years against some of these top teams.

Losing to 3 really good teams on the road?
You forgot losing to a bad, sub .500-ACC Virginia team at home and Michigan State is average this year.

Much better than the pair of 30 point drubbings to OSU last season, and a decent chance to knock them off when they come in to the barn

what do you define as bad basketball wise? Losing to 3 really good teams on the road?

He said average or bad. Would you define losing the three road games as good? You have to win these some of the time if you have any plans of ever being a contender or even just to be a team that's not causing ulcers on selection Sunday.

You forgot losing to a bad, sub .500-ACC Virginia team at home and Michigan State is average this year.

I was referring to the start of the big ten season, but you're right. Or at least semi-right. They aren't sub 500.

We did beat West Virginia and North Carolina as well of course, but they're bad teams too, right?

Absolutely! It's painful we haven't been able to pull out any of these first three road games, but we aren't getting blown out of the gym like we have the last few years against some of these top teams.

Ah yes year 4 of this regime, happy with moral victories and being a 6th-8th place team within the B10.

Your point is properly discredited in 2 different threads. Instead of slinking away, you argue something completely different

Virginia will be under .500, dont worry about it. If you would take off the maroon glasses for a second you would realize that this is still a fringe tourney team in Tubby's fourth year and that is a FACT!

He said average or bad. Would you define losing the three road games as good? You have to win these some of the time if you have any plans of ever being a contender or even just to be a team that's not causing ulcers on selection Sunday.

It's not good, but how good did you think the Gopher's would be? We are competing very well on the road, which is a far cry from the last few years. I'm just amazed at the panic mode/sky is falling attitude on here. We had an extremely difficult schedule to start the big ten season, and a 1-3 big ten start does not make us an average or bad team.

As nice as it would be, winning on the road against the elite teams on the big ten is not necessary to avoid sweating out selection Sunday or finishing high in the Big Ten. It just isn't. The key to success this year will be beating the teams we should beat and taking care of the top teams at home. Period.

Now, will that happen? I have absolutely no idea, and neither does anybody. Based on how we are playing good competition on the road, I would say we have a pretty good chance at doing so, but we'll find out.

Ah yes year 4 of this regime, happy with moral victories and being a 6th-8th place team within the B10.

I'm not happy with moral victories or finishing 6th to 8th. I'm merely stating that these loses have shown improvement compared to the last couple years. Based on how we have played so far, I am more confided we will beat some of the top teams at home this year and avoid bad loses within the conference compared to the last two years.

It's not good, but how good did you think the Gopher's would be? We are competing very well on the road, which is a far cry from the last few years. I'm just amazed at the panic mode/sky is falling attitude on here. We had an extremely difficult schedule to start the big ten season, and a 1-3 big ten start does not make us an average or bad team.

As nice as it would be, winning on the road against the elite teams on the big ten is not necessary to avoid sweating out selection Sunday or finishing high in the Big Ten. It just isn't. The key to success this year will be beating the teams we should beat and taking care of the top teams at home. Period.

Now, will that happen? I have absolutely no idea, and neither does anybody. Based on how we are playing good competition on the road, I would say we have a pretty good chance at doing so, but we'll find out.

Are you watching the games or just looking at the final score? The first 30 minutes of this game the offense looked horrid. Clearly OSU lost their intensity and we started to supply the effort to come back. Even the announcers stated that we finally were playing with the energy that we needed to play with all game. What kept us in the game was Trevor and much, much better free throws 24-27.

Look you are right- if we beat Purdue and we start to go on a run... it'll be all good and we'll get to the NCAAs. Right now- what we see shoudl be cause for concern. This was a game that was winnable without the 10 point run in the first half when the Tubster came out with some odd lineups.

Are you watching the games or just looking at the final score? The first 30 minutes of this game the offense looked horrid. Clearly OSU lost their intensity and we started to supply the effort to come back. Even the announcers stated that we finally were playing with the energy that we needed to play with all game. What kept us in the game was Trevor and much, much better free throws 24-27.

Look you are right- if we beat Purdue and we start to go on a run... it'll be all good and we'll get to the NCAAs. Right now- what we see shoudl be cause for concern. This was a game that was winnable without the 10 point run in the first half when the Tubster came out with some odd lineups.

Agree. We had one guy show-up today in the first half. Everyone else was scared out of their minds. The second half showed a couple other guys get going, but others still running, or walking, around scared. I fail to see where the moral victory comes in to play?

Beat Purdue or struggle to make the tourney = simple as that.

I'm watching the games, and I agree that it looked terrible for a good chunk of the game. I thought it was all but over when we were down 18, as I'm sure most people did. I've also watched games at Ohio St. and Mich. St the last couple years, and I can say I definitely see improvement in the way we battled back (whether or not their intensity level dropped). I hate the moral victory, but I think it is good to find positives when you can. The free throw shooting was very promising.

At the start of the year, I thought a 3-2 (or higher) start would be great, a 2-3 start would be fine, and a 1-4 start would be unacceptable. I stand by that, so the Purdue game is very crucial.

I'm watching the games, and I agree that it looked terrible for a good chunk of the game. I thought it was all but over when we were down 18, as I'm sure most people did. I've also watched games at Ohio St. and Mich. St the last couple years, and I can say I definitely see improvement in the way we battled back (whether or not their intensity level dropped). I hate the moral victory, but I think it is good to find positives when you can. The free throw shooting was very promising.

At the start of the year, I thought a 3-2 (or higher) start would be great, a 2-3 start would be fine, and a 1-4 start would be unacceptable. I stand by that, so the Purdue game is very crucial.

We agree. 2-3 will be acceptable as a start. I'd have no complaints. The last 10 minutes was better.

This is year four for Tubby. Championship teams win on the road! OSU lost the national player of the year, yet here they are again. These are all Tubby's players except for Al and Blake. Ralph and Colt looked as good as frosh as they do now. I thought those two would be dominating their third year. They don't have go to moves in the paint and other than Blake there is nobody to stretch the defense. I was hoping for more than moral victories by this time.

Winning at home against the top teams in the conference and taking care of the bottom teams on the road is what I'm looking for. Beating Purdue, Illinois, Ohio St. and Michigan St. at home would show progress and get us in the tournament comfortably.

This is year four for Tubby. Championship teams win on the road! OSU lost the national player of the year, yet here they are again. These are all Tubby's players except for Al and Blake. Ralph and Colt looked as good as frosh as they do now. I thought those two would be dominating their third year. They don't have go to moves in the paint and other than Blake there is nobody to stretch the defense. I was hoping for more than moral victories by this time.

Duke went 5-5 on the road last season. Through their first five road games, they were 1-4. Road losses: Wisconsin, #17 Georgia Tech, NC State, #11 Georgetown, #23 Maryland. Road wins: #16 Clemson, Boston College, UNC, Miami, Virginia. They lost 4 of their 5 toughest road games (WI, GT, Georgetown, Maryland, Clemson).

We're 1-3 on the road, and we've played three of our four toughest road games. All the losses were competitive games against ranked teams. I'm not thrilled with the losses, but at least wait until the team plays some easier road games before completely writing them off as unable to win on the road.

I'm not comparing us to Duke. But the idea that "Championship teams win on the road!" is not necessarily true--especially against as tough a road schedule as we have played so far. If we can't beat the lower-tier Big Ten teams on the road, then we would have an issue. We'll know how we do in those games soon enough.

Duke went 5-5 on the road last season. Through their first five road games, they were 1-4. Road losses: Wisconsin, #17 Georgia Tech, NC State, #11 Georgetown, #23 Maryland. Road wins: #16 Clemson, Boston College, UNC, Miami, Virginia. They lost 4 of their 5 toughest road games (WI, GT, Georgetown, Maryland, Clemson).

We're 1-3 on the road, and we've played three of our four toughest road games. All the losses were competitive games against ranked teams. I'm not thrilled with the losses, but at least wait until the team plays some easier road games before completely writing them off as unable to win on the road.

I'm not comparing us to Duke. But the idea that "Championship teams win on the road!" is not necessarily true--especially against as tough a road schedule as we have played so far. If we can't beat the lower-tier Big Ten teams on the road, then we would have an issue. We'll so how we do in those games soon enough.

That's all true SOV if we didn't have to watch the games. Be honest - when was the last Gopher game this year- home or road where you looked at it and said: "wow- they played hard and executed well the whole game"? For me, you have to go back to Puerto Rico. That's a concern. For two thirds of this game we looked flat out lousy despite the great efforts of Mbakwe to keep us in the game. We were down 18 when OSU went into cruise control.

That's all true SOV if we didn't have to watch the games. Be honest - when was the last Gopher game this year- home or road where you looked at it and said: "wow- they played hard and executed well the whole game"? For me, you have to go back to Puerto Rico. That's a concern. For two thirds of this game we looked flat out lousy despite the great efforts of Mbakwe to keep us in the game. We were down 18 when OSU went into cruise control.

Those are all fair points. I'd agree: the last time I was happy with the overall performance was Puerto Rico. (I don't think it's been all bad since then, like some others seem to feel, though). I was just pointing out that idea that great teams consistently win on the road against ranked teams (which is an idea that has been tossed around heavily after our losses @WI, MSU, and OSU) is wrong. Duke was a great team last year: They went 1-3 on the road against ranked teams.

I'm not thrilled with the way we have been playing, and a lot of the concerns you express are legitimate. I'm just trying to keep these games in perspective, both in the sense that it is very difficult for any team to win on the road against the quality of opponents that we have had to play, and in the sense that this 1-3 start is going to end up being placed in the context of an 18-game conference season that is yet to unfold. I think we should wait for some of the easier stretches to make fair judgments about the team this year, one way or the other.

In other words, wait a bit before we decide whether or not the sky is falling.

I'm not comparing us to Duke. But the idea that "Championship teams win on the road!" is not necessarily true--especially against as tough a road schedule as we have played so far. If we can't beat the lower-tier Big Ten teams on the road, then we would have an issue. We'll so how we do in those games soon enough.

+1

Those are all fair points. I'd agree: the last time I was happy with the overall performance was Puerto Rico. (I don't think it's been all bad since then, like some others seem to feel, though). I was just pointing out that idea that great teams consistently win on the road against ranked teams (which is an idea that has been tossed around heavily after our losses @WI, MSU, and OSU) is wrong. Duke was a great team last year: They went 1-3 on the road against ranked teams.

I'm not thrilled with the way we have been playing, and a lot of the concerns you express are legitimate. I'm just trying to keep these games in perspective, both in the sense that it is very difficult for any team to win on the road against the quality of opponents that we have had to play, and in the sense that this 1-3 start is going to end up being placed in the context of an 18-game conference season that is yet to unfold. I think we should wait for some of the easier stretches to make fair judgments about the team this year, one way or the other.

In other words, wait a bit before we decide whether or not the sky is falling.

The sky is not falling but the ceiling is lowering unless Tubby makes some changes and can get a little more out of this club.

Top Bottom