I'm tired of one-dimensional players

goldenboy

Reaction score
I'm looking for some improved recruiting (or some better luck at having players pan out). We've got too many guys that are one-trick ponies. We need some multi-dimensional guys that can threaten the defense in a variety of ways, with or without the ball in their hands.
Blake can shoot, but can't beat anyone off the dribble or create his own shot.
Al has a good handle but cant finish at the rim or from distance.
Trevor is a beast of a rebounder but can't score much beyond dunking or layup range.
Rodney is a high-flyer that can throw down highlight dunks but can't shoot the 3 or get by people for a pull-up mid-range jumper.
I had hopes that Colt was going to be the next Kevin McHale. Now I'm hoping he can pull off the improvement needed to be the next Jeff Hagen.
Ralph is Dan Coleman 2.0 (lots of unmet hopes and expectations).
Let's hope that some of the youngsters and incoming players bring more to the table.
It would be nice to have some big guys that had some aggressive post moves, could rebound, defend and make some free throws, too. How about a couple of guards or wings that can shoot the 3, get by people with the bounce, can deliver decent passes with anticipation, and get to the rim (and finish), and - oh, yeah - make free throws.
When people pine for the stars of the past (Willie Burton, Quincy Lewis, Vincent Grier, etc.) what they are recognizing is that those players could do many things well and therefore were big contributors and impact players. Right now we don't have anyone like that on the floor.
Maybe Hollins 1 and Armelin can bring it when they get their chance next year. Oto is a big question mark. Mo looked like he had some skills in limited minutes before he got hurt. Maybe Hollins 2 or Coleman the younger can raise their mojo to D1 levels.
It's been a little painful watching both Tubby's defense and offense when the bulk of our players can't do enough things well. It's like the total skills of our five on the floor equal the equivalent of 3 or 4 good players. That's enough to beat the patsies, but rarely gets it done against better teams. And that's why we're a middle of the pack team. I realize that you recruit and never know how kids will pan out, but geeze... how about we get lucky a few times? That would be nice.
Ok. I feel better.
Bring on OSU!

So, what you're saying is that this team needs a 'stud-scorer' .. OK, we all agree.

Well...

I'd be happy with a regular, old, run-of-the-mill scorer at this point.

Wow, from the sounds of the OP, we must be 3-12 instead of 12-3.

I think the major red flag here is who has improved since last year? I would agree with goldenboy's opinion that a majority of the Gophers are limited offensively. What worries me is that the same limitations that were present last year are present again this year. I can think of one player on this team that has improved in a noticeable way: Blake Hoffarber. Blake has added the curl around the screen in to the lane for the short floater which makes it a little more difficult to guard him coming off a screen. Ralph and Colton still struggle to finish inside and neither takes it strong to the cup. Al still cannot hit an outside shot and Rodney is limited almost exclusively to a strong baseline drive.

I expected to see some growth this year and I haven't seen it yet, but there's still plenty of time left in the season. A win over Ohio State would go a long way towards getting this team back on track.

Just trying to foresee a way that we end up

25-5 instead of the 20-10 or 19-11 that we look like we're headed for.
As has been the topic of many earlier threads, there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers that start thinking Final 4 when we start the season by beating on the sisters of the poor and upset one or two decent teams. Then they think we'll go winless the rest of the way when we start disappointing in the Big Ten. I'm a realist so, of course, I'm happy to be 12-3. I'm just looking at the roster and see way too many players that only bring one skill to the team. I certainly expected more from our experienced players, but they haven't turned out to be stars that can carry a team. I'll hold out hope for the newbies next year, as well (as that's what "next year" is for). It's not that I don't appreciate our players. And I'm not really sure if I'm hoping for better recruiting out of the staff, or better growth out of the players (or both).

Blake can shoot, but can't beat anyone off the dribble or create his own shot.

Dear GoldenTool-

Watch back some of the games from this season, he can take it towards the rim off the dribble. And you don't need to dribble between your legs 8 times to get open when you have mastered the art of shooting over your defender as if they were not there.

Dear Not in Your Wildest Dreams

Dear GoldenTool-

Watch back some of the games from this season, he can take it towards the rim off the dribble. And you don't need to dribble between your legs 8 times to get open when you have mastered the art of shooting over your defender as if they were not there.

Well he sure didn't show it much the last couple of games when he ended up with the ball as the shot clock was winding down. As much as he has shown his value, anybody that thinks Blake can get by even the average defenders is kidding themselves. He's added a few things to his game, but if he's your poster child for a multidimensional gopher hooper you've just made my point for me.

C'mon

No follow up on the Ralph = Dan Coleman 2.0 comment? That was my favorite line!
Both had the potential, but play as soft as Charmin.

Well he sure didn't show it much the last couple of games when he ended up with the ball as the shot clock was winding down.

He just hit one of his best shots ever (many) last game with a turn around as the shot clock expired. Your tripping fool.

Blake has added a few things to his game
You already said he could shoot, how about another dimension?

Question: How many other SG's in the Big 10 besides Hoffarber are averaging 5 assists per game?

Answer: 0.

He's currently tied in that category with Jordan Taylor, Aaron Craft, and ahead of most other PG's (including Juice Thompson, Kalin Lucas, Lewis Jackson, etc).

I'll take that "2nd" dimension.

We can't all be multi-talented like Billy Preston...

FPXYV.gif

You already said he could shoot, how about another dimension?

Question: How many other SG's in the Big 10 besides Hoffarber are averaging 5 assists per game?

Answer: 0.

He's currently tied in that category with Jordan Taylor, Aaron Craft, and ahead of most other PG's (including Juice Thompson, Kalin Lucas, Lewis Jackson, etc).

I'll take that "2nd" dimension.

Hoff is also a very good rebounding guard. The boards and assists don't seem to get notice because most of his aren't spectacular... but he always seems to put himself in the right place at the right time.

Hoff is also a very good rebounding guard. The boards and assists don't seem to get notice because most of his aren't spectacular... but he always seems to put himself in the right place at the right time.

I'm not sure how Hoff would really get better in some areas, like being a shut down defender or a take it to the hole offensive player. In reality, he is a slower B10 guard who just does not have those physical skills. Not a rip on him at all, but I think it is obvious he was never going to be the next Bobby Jackson. For what he has physically, I thin he makes the most of it. Good passer, rebounder, and a excellent shooter.

25-5 instead of the 20-10 or 19-11 that we look like we're headed for.
As has been the topic of many earlier threads, there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers that start thinking Final 4 when we start the season by beating on the sisters of the poor and upset one or two decent teams. Then they think we'll go winless the rest of the way when we start disappointing in the Big Ten. I'm a realist so, of course, I'm happy to be 12-3. I'm just looking at the roster and see way too many players that only bring one skill to the team. I certainly expected more from our experienced players, but they haven't turned out to be stars that can carry a team. I'll hold out hope for the newbies next year, as well (as that's what "next year" is for). It's not that I don't appreciate our players. And I'm not really sure if I'm hoping for better recruiting out of the staff, or better growth out of the players (or both).

Gophers will be 25-5 if they go 13-2 the rest of their regular season schedule. But they won't.

9 or 10 W out of the remaining 15 games would be good.

Blake has gotten better every year. He is not Chris Mullin. Blake has had a very good college career he knows his limitations.

He is doing way more this year on the floor that is why his 3pt% is down a bit. This year he is the the two guard. Last year he was the third guard who would spot up and shoot.

They don't have anybody with the skills of say a Kemba Walker or even anyone close to that. Someone that can create there own shot. Without Joseph they are going to be offensively challanged. If Nolen can hit a few they will have a chance. Otherwise their offense has to create the shots and that hasn't been that successfull against the better competion.

LOL now that is funny! Plus true. Take the can't out of your word son! Then spell it again!
That's right! Can. Lucky the players don't quit as quickly as you do.

From the sounds of next year's class the new Hollins and Coleman can take it to the hoop. It also sounds like Hollins is a bit of a combo guard who can also set things up for others. He is up to #44 in ranking somewhere and guards ranked that high can usually play. I'm not sure either will be a lights out 3pt shooter but we will see.

Top Bottom