question on Rodney

Block M

Reaction score
I've not attended a game in person this year, but for those who have, how well does Rodney shoot the ball in pre-game warm-ups? Does he hit a good share of shots outside the arc? His shooting form looks pretty pure and there is no questioning the lift and clean looks he gets. Yet, he is only 2/20 from the 3-pt line this year and has not made one in many, many games. Does he tighten up in the game from out there, or is he just a poor outside shooter all the time?

block m, do you live in the area?

rodney shoots 3s in warmups like i do, brick city.

TV announcer

One of the TV guys for the last game said that some leapers jump higher in games than in practice so they don't ever practice their shots in game situations and it reduces their succes rate on shot attempts

I've watched him in pre-game warm-ups a lot. Can't say he hits a really high percentage of his shots, but he looks like he'd shot better than 10% from 3. He doesn't really sit and shoot 3s warming up though. He does a lot more work on pull-up jumpers and his mid-range game. He's really streaky in warm-ups. He'll hit a few straight, then brick a few. I think he's developing a better shot, but he's got more work to do before his mid-range game will be a weapon for him.

Interesting analysis from the announcer

I've never heard of that. I hope the coaches are aware of that possibility.

Go4

Nope. Madison of all places. I used to go by a different handle on this board.

Boy and I will be up for at least one game this year.

I've heard that the best shooters don't get much elevation on their shots because it makes it too hard to replicate. It makes sense, I can't think of many great consistent shooters who get up on their three pointers. Rodney jumps so high on every shot that it may not help. Also, I notice that he has a tendency to fade to one side or the other when shooting which also doesn't help. I think his form is nice though, which means that if he gets his jump right, he should be able to start hitting at a respectable percentage. That'll take some significant off-season work though.

Mark Rosen on Rodney

I rarely watch the local news, but the other night after the IU game I heard Mark Rosen make a statement about Rodney that summed things up perfectly. To paraphrase, Rosen said this is an incredibly raw, gifted athlete who if he ever figures out the nuances of the game of basketball will be a sight to see at Williams Arena.

Wish more people would see things that way. Pardon the cliche, but I still think Rodney's ceiling is off the charts; he's only a sophomore. What Rodney's up against now is even greater expectations (from the fans) and needed game-in, game-out production. The timetable has probably been moved up with Devoe's departure. He still can be the Gophers' wildcard in this whole thing in terms of making up for Devoe's absence.

All I know is Rodney has already patented one move: The baseline drive, around the defender. Looks like he's going to keep dribbling through, but suddenly he leaps up, arches back, touches the ball against the bottom of the shot clock for grins and slams it home.

When the weak side doesn't help out, this move works 80% of the time, every time.

This move is slowly happening more frequently and it's a great trend.

I'm also floored by the times where he leaps up from in the lane...you're thinking he's going for a short jump shot. Then he somehow reaches out and slams it down from what appears to be 8 feet out.

I can see Rodney easily scoring 20 per game if we could get him on the right isolations or get some good screens going.

All I know is Rodney has already patented one move: The baseline drive, around the defender. Looks like he's going to keep dribbling through, but suddenly he leaps up, arches back, touches the ball against the bottom of the shot clock for grins and slams it home.

When the weak side doesn't help out, this move works 80% of the time, every time.

I'm also floored by the times where he leaps up from in the lane...you're thinking he's going for a short jump shot. Then he somehow reaches out and slams it down from what appears to be 8 feet out.

I can see Rodney easily scoring 20 per game if we could get him on the right isolations or get some good screens going.

How can you NOT laugh at these comments?

Quote of the year. C'mon, I like the kid too but 20 a game? How many B10 players average that?

Laugh if you wish. But with seats just above the basket on the gopher side in the second half, Rodney seems to defy the laws of gravity at times.
SS expressed it well.

How can you NOT laugh at these comments?

If Rodney develops a jumper at about 15 ft he may be unstoppable. With that outside drive you mentioned and the ability to pull up...devastating. I don't know how much he needs the 3 now, but for the NBA he needs to develop a consistent shot. He has weird tendencies with his pull-up jumpers.

This analysis was good though

I have watched Rodney for a couple years and he can hit the outside shot at times. What I have noticed is that he spins his left thumb (non shooting hand) when he shoots and this causes the ball to rotate awkwardly. It is very difficult to be accurate with that approach. Many kids develop this bad habit when they are shooting from distance when there body is not strong enough to shoot with one primary hand. Rodney would be wise to tweek his shooting motion to eliminate the movement by his left thumb. I believe that would significantly improve his accuracy.

I have hardly ever seen Rodney beat a guy off the dribble when they are squared up to him. But with his athleticism all he needs is his man to be a half step out of position when he get's the ball and he's gone. It's been working and it's a high percentage shot, so keep it up.

I cringe more when Rodney shoots a three ball then when Kevin Payton was denting the iron.

Top Bottom