(#15)BYU at (#25)UNLV Jimmer Fredette goes for 39

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Got a chance to take in the UNLV-BYU game last night at Thomas and Mack. Pretty entertaining game between two teams that REALLY REALLY don't like each other. The game has evolved into the Catholics vs Convicts (Notre Dame - U of Miami) of the Southwest. Too bad BYU is leaving the Mountain West.

BYU was really impressive, to say the least. In an extremely hostile environment (the Mack was GREAT last night), they crushed a decent UNLV team in the second half. They have several guys who can shoot the 3-ball and last night they knocked down an eye-popping 14-of-28 from the arc.

Just wanted to comment on Jimmer Fredette though. He was as good or better than advertised, at least in my opinion. Apparently in the running for first or second team All-American, he can shoot and score at will but I was actually impressed with his ball-handling, athletic ability, and his defense. STILL not sure he can play at the next level but I'm more likely now to think that he could. He threw up 39 last night and that was when he had just 5 points until fairly late in the first half.

That being said, he is a WORLD CLASS prick on the basketball floor. Wow. Can't remember the last time I saw a player opposing teams wanted to hate more. He relishes the opportunity to antagonize opposing fans and opposing players (subtly of course) and he works the refs non-stop. After begging for calls, he was trying to laugh and joke with at least one of the refs but the official was having none of it and did not find it amusing. He definitely enjoys being the center of attention.

He's also the ultimate ball hog. Kind of funny, a good 40-60 UNLV fans last night had white t-shirts that said "32 BALL HOG". I counted at least a handful of possessions where the ball literally did not touch anybody else's hand than his.

Impressive performance from BYU though. Throwing up 89 points on a UNLV team that typically makes it's name on defense is no small task, particularly on the road.

I figured you'd probably go to the game, Ogee.

BYU was awfully impressive last night after the slow start. Every time I've seen Fredette I've been impressed, with last night no exception. I've never viewed him as a ball hog, just as a guy who can really score & who should be taking a lot of shots for his team. He does average nearly 4.5 assists per game, so it's not like he's a black hole. I'll be very surprised if he's not a first-team All-American. I think there will be a place in the NBA for a scorer/shooter like him.

Top Bottom