DraftExpress updated 2012 mock draft: Rodney #18, Trevor #48

BleedGopher

Reaction score
DraftExpress is one of the best draft sites (along with GH's Chris Monter's "Monter Draft News" of course) and they have Rodney going #18 in the first round in 2012 and Trevor going #18 in the second round, as updated today:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

Go Gophers!!

Just crazy that potentially 8 of the first 10 picks, and 11 of the first 15, are high schoolers?!

I have to admit that I hate seeing these mock draft things. My approach has been to always to wait until the players actually declare and the lottery takes place before doing a mock draft. I remember last year they had Willie Warren #1, the year before B.J. Mullens and the year before that was Kosta Koufos. Yet, we never hear about these things and how wrong they got it.

Josh Powell of North Carolina State turned pro after a site had him listed as a first rounder, due to his family being destitute. He would go undrafted. He has stuck in the NBA as a free agent, so the story has somewhat of a happy ending , but it easily could have turned tragic.

I love Rodney Williams, but when I heard that a site had him had third overall last season, I cringed. He played exactly 23 seconds in the NCAA tournament. He is an exciting player, but he is averaging six points per game. Find me a player who is good NBA player who averaged six points per game in college. Rodney needs to continue to improve his all-around game before he thinks about the NBA and all the mentioning of these mock drafts has to have most players thinking $$$$.

Trevor Mbakwe is another favorite of mine, because he is a beast who plays hard, but he has limited range (Indiana dared him to shoot), is undersized compared and his foot work still needs work. He has missed nearly two whole seasons in college and another year would do him wonders.

I know that the money is intriguing, but I can't imagine being big man on campus could be the worst thing ever. Many players who have turned pro early have told me that they love the money, but they missed college and several have told me that if they could do over again, they would have stayed in school.

My other issue with these mock drafts is who all is considered as a prospect. Are they considering every possible player in college basketball. I often hear of a player being mentioned as a first round pick but every time a good underclassmen comes out, that pushes these players down a spot. By the time the draft comes around, there are 60 potential first round picks.

Chris Monter

If Trevor leaves early it will not be because he is NBA ready. It will be because he is getting terrible advice and is listening, or he doesn't want to go to class anymore.

I think that's actually a really accurate description of Trevor. Pretty realistic as well.

underground629;I think that's actually a really accurate description of Trevor. Pretty realistic as well.
If Trevor leaves early it will not be because he is NBA ready. It will be because he is getting terrible advice and is listening, or he doesn't want to go to class anymore.

OK Double moron award here!

First off, he will graduate this year so your point is moot.
Second it's hilarious you guys pretend you know him. Now you counselors too?

LOL. Almost all of uguysareallmorons posts have been about Mbakwe. Wonder what the connection is?

I don't think this really deserves a response from me, but what exactly did you intend to say to me? What did I say that even suggests anything about knowing him? I hope you're other stuff is intended for the other poster who you didn't quote (making it look like my words), because I didn't say anything about his graduating year or advice he's getting. In any case, what is your point about the graduating year? He still has another year of eligibility.

underground629;I think that's actually a really accurate description of Trevor. Pretty realistic as well.

OK Double moron award here!

First off, he will graduate this year so your point is moot.
Second it's hilarious you guys pretend you know him. Now you counselors too?

How do you know what advice he is getting? You agreed with tikited that he has been getting poor advice as if you know what people are telling him. And yeh, my bad the other quote wasn't you.
However, academically he will be done this year, that's what I'm hearing so Tikited you are clueless.

There's a reason I didn't quote him. My post was in response to the writeup on the site about Trevor. I guess I can disregard everything you said in your other post that you probably should've been more sure of before posting.

How do you know what advice he is getting? You agreed with tikited that he has been getting poor advice as if you know what people are telling him. And yeh, my bad the other quote wasn't you.
However, academically he will be done this year, that's what I'm hearing so Tikited you are clueless.

Trevor Mbakwe is another favorite of mine, because he is a beast who plays hard, but he has limited range (Indiana dared him to shoot), is undersized compared and his foot work still needs work. He has missed nearly two whole seasons in college and another year would do him wonders.

I think you are dead on about what will limit Trevor at the next level. He is going to have to really improve his jump shot to make it in the NBA.

So Rodney was a lottery pick for the 2011 draft last year and now he's dropped to #18 in the class of 2012?

I never put much stock into mock drafts, fun to look at though.

I wrote "if" he leaves early he must be getting bad advice. Not sure how that is wrong? He's not nearly ready to play in the nba. If you think he is then good for you. I admit I have no idea about his graduation status, so I was guessing there. Sounds like you are guessing as well since you "heard" he is done this year. You seem like a real fun guy :rolleyes:

Top Bottom