Reseating

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
I know this is a hot button topic on this board and people are always comparing Minnesota to other B10 schools but the other day Purdue released it's new preferred seating policy. They are reseating Mackey after this year(so one year before Williams) but the new cost for 4 lower bowl seats BEFORE you purchase the tickets is $3500 minimum.

The cost of running a B10 athletic program is getting completely out of control, IMO.

Here is the link to the entire PDF file where you find more info to compare:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pur/genrel/auto_pdf/mackey_reseating.pdf

The thing I think is stupid is the mandatory donation.

Just raise the damn ticket prices and have the actual cost be reflected on the ticket face.

Where's the $3500 coming from? I see $4500 for Rows 2-4 courtside, but...?

Anyways, without trying to completely hijack GH with Purdue crap, these were my thoughts already posted at BS:

The student seats are better, but still awful. I kind of like the idea of splitting up the student section, hopefully they can get that side of Mackey into the games a little more. But let's be honest why they did it - they can sell sideline seats easier and for my money than endline seats.

Here's what they should do, if they had any balls:

fixedmackeyseating.jpg

The thing I think is stupid is the mandatory donation.

Just raise the damn ticket prices and have the actual cost be reflected on the ticket face.

Donation = tax deductable. Therefore it's better to go with the donation.

That would be awesome if the converted Mackey in that seating plan rc but we with the almighty dollar ruling all we know that isn't going to happen. And the $3500 dollar comes from the combined donation to the JPC(All-American $2500) and the donation to the Basketball Legacy Fund at $250 per seat.

I'm starting to wonder if they would have been just as far ahead just building a new arena?

Anyway, I'm not trying to insert Purdue into a Minnesota board, just trying to provide something for Gopher season ticket holders to compare to.

Ah, your math is correct. I could see myself paying that someday if the team stays good and I ever move close enough to WLaf.

also ticket revenue is shared in the big ten, is it not. These donations stay with the U.

Actually, I'm wrong. According to this article it's only 80%.

In the mid-1980s, the IRS questioned the cash contributions that universities were requiring fans to pay in order to buy football or basketball tickets. The government argued such donations should not get a tax break, because they were part of the market cost of buying a ticket or a better seat. As entertainment expenses, sports tickets are not tax-deductible.

The decision caused an uproar in Congress, led by then-U.S. Rep. Jake Pickle, a UT alumnus. In 1988, Congress effectively overruled the IRS, passing a special law allowing an 80 percent deduction on the ticket-qualifying donations.

Thanks for posting MNBoiler. Relative to Purdue's reseating, the Williams Arena plan looks pretty good. Obviously, we aren't doing all the things they are planning.....but, we do have a practice facility looming. Hope to see you in a few weeks, hopefully we'll be able to give you guys a game.

This Gopher Points system is kind of a family tragedy for us - having kept season tickets since the 1940s, we'll be forced to relocate. I know the Athletics Dept. needs the revenue, but it still stings.

This Gopher Points system is kind of a family tragedy for us - having kept season tickets since the 1940s, we'll be forced to relocate. I know the Athletics Dept. needs the revenue, but it still stings.
Hey - you have a year to make the U athletic dept your favorite charity, write a bunch of checks and move up.
Seriously, I feel for you and expect we may in the same boat. Save us some long cold walks.

Thanks for posting MNBoiler. Relative to Purdue's reseating, the Williams Arena plan looks pretty good. Obviously, we aren't doing all the things they are planning.....but, we do have a practice facility looming. Hope to see you in a few weeks, hopefully we'll be able to give you guys a game.

Sounds great, I'll make you guys get to go though all of Purdue's great traditions.

Top Bottom