A Puzzle

jamiche

Reaction score
In late November this team (without Devoe) looked like it had Final Four potential. In late December and early January it has struggled to beat mediocrities at home. Losing Mo Walker hurts but I don't think that it's determinative. Issues with Devoe have undoubtedly been disruptive, but there are always things going on behind the scenes. I was talking with a couple of friends at the game last night (none of us have Psych degrees) and we were in agreement that this is not a happy, confident looking group of players.

If Tubby and coaches can do two small things (one psychological, one technical) I think it could make an enormous difference: 1) He needs to show Rodney a lot of love and give him a lot of rope. A confident Rodney Williams can more than make up for Devoe's production on offense and defensively we saw what he did to Harrison Barnes. Getting more production out of Rodney going forward is the key to the season. 2) Please, please, please run some high sceens for Blake. He's not quick enough to get open regularly on his own. His production is remarkable given his physical limitations and how little help he gets. Getting Blake help on offense should be his second priority.

In late November this team (without Devoe) looked like it had Final Four potential. In late December and early January it has struggled to beat mediocrities at home. Losing Mo Walker hurts but I don't think that it's determinative. Issues with Devoe have undoubtedly been disruptive, but there are always things going on behind the scenes. I was talking with a couple of friends at the game last night (none of us have Psych degrees) and we were in agreement that this is not a happy, confident looking group of players.

If Tubby and coaches can do two small things (one psychological, one technical) I think it could make an enormous difference: 1) He needs to show Rodney a lot of love and give him a lot of rope. A confident Rodney Williams can more than make up for Devoe's production on offense and defensively we saw what he did to Harrison Barnes. Getting more production out of Rodney going forward is the key to the season. 2) Please, please, please run some high sceens for Blake. He's not quick enough to get open regularly on his own. His production is remarkable given his physical limitations and how little help he gets. Getting Blake help on offense should be his second priority.

Agreed. Rodney seems like somebody who needs some emotional support. When he gets confidence, it's clear, and then he starts playing very well. I wish he'd shoot more from the outside. He hasn't been hitting this year, although as I recall, last year, he made some shots. If were able to start hitting from outside, he'd be very tough to defend. Also, I agree, we need to find a way to get Blake open. Every other team manages to get their shooters open against us.

All true. Rodneys confidence is directly related to the distance he is standing from the basket. At 21 feet he looks like a deer in headlights at 4 feet he flies like Michael Jordan. I'd find a way to get him closer to the basket more often. If he's going to have to be on the perimeter than there needs to be a law installed that he attempts to drive every time he gets the ball.

Jammer, I agree. I might add to get more aggressive on the perimeter and not allow so many open threes. This team is not as far from the kingdom as some believe.

Even without psych degrees, any of us should understand that when someone you have spent a pile of hours with over a period of time in your life is gone, it affects you. Add in the very young adult factor and it is harder. I thought the team soldiered through last night and showed us something. The players are human beings and kids, not just ball players and it is not nearly as easy to leave it all behind and forget it when you're on the court. The upside is that the young move on faster than most of us.

Final Four potential? I hope that is an exaggeration. This team was never in danger of competing for the Big Ten championship.

Agree

I agree. This team needs confidence and to have some fun. When they hustle and play strong D, their offense is better. Rodney could have taken his defender on the baseline over and over last night. Once the defense responds to him, one of our bigs will be open.

Where are the alley oops these guys were doing so well in November? I know they can't do this vs. all teams but it is something that energizes the team.

Go Gophers!

Final Four potential? I hope that is an exaggeration. This team was never in danger of competing for the Big Ten championship.

No exaggeration. The team in San Juan was as dominant and complete as '97. That was then, however. But it was real.

Jammer, I agree. I might add to get more aggressive on the perimeter and not allow so many open threes. This team is not as far from the kingdom as some believe.

Even without psych degrees, any of us should understand that when someone you have spent a pile of hours with over a period of time in your life is gone, it affects you. Add in the very young adult factor and it is harder. I thought the team soldiered through last night and showed us something. The players are human beings and kids, not just ball players and it is not nearly as easy to leave it all behind and forget it when you're on the court. The upside is that the young move on faster than most of us.

I think they are going to struggle against other teams' perimeter shooting all year, mostly because Blake isn't quick enough and Rodney and the first years are inexperienced.

No. 1 is spot on. Rodney looks to me like someone constantly looking over his shoulder, afraid the next mistake will put him on the bench immediately. Let the kid play, Tubby.

No exaggeration. The team in San Juan was as dominant and complete as '97. That was then, however. But it was real.

Actually it is an exaggeration. They didn't dominate either North Carolina or West Virginia. Loyal Minnesota fans just wanted to believe they were dominant. Just as some fans wanted to believe they had final 4 potential. I always wished I could believe them. But if you look honestly at the trouble they had in the barn, against very average teams, they never showed that kind of potential.

The team's problems have been well documented here. We can only have faith they will improve and dance in March.

The teams problems are well documented but the successes arent. There is reason to believe that this team is on the way up, not heading down like most threads will let you believe.

Rodney Williams is an athletic specimen. His dunk last night shows that he is at a different level than every other player on the court. We lose two seniors but we bring back a lot of size and experience, we will have young guards but they will have had some in the Big Ten and this season isn't over. This team is better than last years team (or will be come Big Ten tourney time) and last years team made a nice little run in the B10 tourney. Get a favorable matchup in the NCAA's and pick up a W, dare I say 2 and no one will be down on the season anymore.

As for Rodney he has impressed me the last few games by being aggressive and not settling for jump shots. Get to the basket and jump over guys in the lane. If someone is 7ft tall, just jump and you'll be above him.

Blake needs more opportunities, I agree. But to set screens for him isn't always the right way. Make his man leave him by the offense you run. Let Rodney penetrate and kick it out, same with Al, Chip and Mav. Make teams double Trevor and when they do let Blake be the spot up shooter. Other guys need to elevate their game to get Blake open.

Actually it is an exaggeration. They didn't dominate either North Carolina or West Virginia. Loyal Minnesota fans just wanted to believe they were dominant. Just as some fans wanted to believe they had final 4 potential. I always wished I could believe them. But if you look honestly at the trouble they had in the barn, against very average teams, they never showed that kind of potential.

The team's problems have been well documented here. We can only have faith they will improve and dance in March.

Does the trouble that tOSU had with Iowa mean that they do not have final four potential?

To have Final Four potential you must win every game by 20+ and have no issues with any team at home on the road unless they are ranked in the Top 10. Everyone knows that. Ask George Mason...

With all due respect, at no point this season have I ever considered this team anywhere near on a par with the 1996-97 Gophers. If things go right it still has a chance to be a pretty nice team & season, but it's not in the same stratosphere (even with Devoe & Mo) of the Final Four team, nor even the 1989-90 Willie Burton/Melvin Newbern/Kevin Lynch team for that matter.

Top Bottom