Most alarming stat in conference play?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
For a team/coach that generally prides itself on defense, it's shocking how the Gophers are forcing NO turnovers against good competition. In the last 3 games:

Wisky - 2 TO's
MSU - 8 TO's
Indiana - 6 TO's

That's 5.7 TO's forced per game. That's embarassing.

As I recall, even through many of the nonconference cupcakes, they weren't forcing very many turnovers. Right now, the Gophers are dead last in the BT in TO margin for the season, ahead of just Illinois in conference play. Yikes.

Other than that and the obvious Free Throw woes, I wasn't all that disappointed last night. Without question, they played with no emotion for more than half the game and they almost paid for it. Still, a win is a win, especially when you come out of the gate 0-2.

Make some FT's and this game is a laugher. Unfortunately, you could say that about a number of the games already this year.

Good grief, what if COLTON IVERSON doesn't go 4-for-4 from the line last night? Scary to think

Agreed. Nobody forces turnovers against Wisconsin, but part of the reason why teams are shooting so well against us is that they are comfortable in the half-court offense. When teams are comfortable, they are more likely to shoot well and don't commit turnovers.

Agreed. Nobody forces turnovers against Wisconsin, but part of the reason why teams are shooting so well against us is that they are comfortable in the half-court offense. When teams are comfortable, they are more likely to shoot well and don't commit turnovers.

Correct. Apply some pressure at the perimeter and make them have to try and pass it inside. Our attempt at perimeter pressure is to run two guys toward the guy with the ball-leaving another guy as an easy outlet. I'd rather see straight up man pressure without all the doubling.

For a team/coach that generally prides itself on defense, it's shocking how the Gophers are forcing NO turnovers against good competition. In the last 3 games:

Wisky - 2 TO's
MSU - 8 TO's
Indiana - 6 TO's

That's 5.7 TO's forced per game. That's embarassing.

As I recall, even through many of the nonconference cupcakes, they weren't forcing very many turnovers. Right now, the Gophers are dead last in the BT in TO margin for the season, ahead of just Illinois in conference play. Yikes.

Other than that and the obvious Free Throw woes, I wasn't all that disappointed last night. Without question, they played with no emotion for more than half the game and they almost paid for it. Still, a win is a win, especially when you come out of the gate 0-2.

Make some FT's and this game is a laugher. Unfortunately, you could say that about a number of the games already this year.

Good grief, what if COLTON IVERSON doesn't go 4-for-4 from the line last night? Scary to think

A few of us said that Damian Johnson, a Monson recruit, would be dearly missed this season.

The results are showing.

Correct. Apply some pressure at the perimeter and make them have to try and pass it inside. Our attempt at perimeter pressure is to run two guys toward the guy with the ball-leaving another guy as an easy outlet. I'd rather see straight up man pressure without all the doubling.

I think it all comes down to that you've got to be smart about who to double.

If Talor Battle or Demitri McCamey is driving down the lane, bring help. If Jeremiah Rivers or Aaron Craft is penetrating, leave them 1-1.

If JaJuan Johnson or Jared Sullinger gets it in the post, bring a double. If Dallas Lauderdale or Derrick Nix grabs the ball on the block, stay on the perimeter.

Right now the strategy seems to be just to double everybody in every circumstance, which makes no sense. It would be nice if it appeared like we use a scouting report every once-in-a-while.

Top Bottom