Standing

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Here's a question...

What's the big deal about standing up vs. sitting down anyway?

Separate out the loudness...that is independent of standings vs. sitting.

Separate out showing up on time (notice that every 6pm weeknight game has issues with people showing up on time. Ah, the days before the BTN when every game started at 7pm...)

Full disclosure. I'm 41. I'm a rabid Gopher fan and have been since Winfield's fro dominated the court. I'm loud. I cheer. I yell at the refs even though they can't hear me. I'm on the edge of my backless seat the entire game...but I don't want everyone to stand the entire game.
- Sitting, I've already got a partially obstructed view of the scoreboard/monitor. Standing, I can't see any of it.
- If everybody stands, whichever kid I brought to the game can't see squat.
- If my row stands, the people 2 rows behind me have to stand which means most of their view of the court is blocked.

I have a hard time seeing how a standing crowd makes a difference, and I think it's a pretty big jump to call it "embarrassing".

Now, you want to talk about spirit? I find it a bit ironic that some students get on this board and complain about the non-students, yet it's the students who have to have their tickets subsidized all to hell to get them to buy them. I think I got my student tickets for half-price in 1990...now you pay $131 for a season?? $7/ticket?!? Wow. That's commitment. I'd really like to see how many rabid students would show if they had to pay full price.

You can't separate standing from loudness. But you're right, it's not actually the standing people complain about, it's the fact that most are usually half asleep in their chairs.

We seem to have the same situation in football.

Many fans would like to see those 'blue hairs' that sit on the sideline go away. It must be because the season ticket waiting list is bursting at the seams.

If fans should stand the entire game why are they putting benches and seats in the arena/stadium. Those architects must be really dumb.:rolleyes:

If fans should stand the entire game why are they putting benches and seats in the arena/stadium. Those architects must be really dumb.:rolleyes:

I was actually thinking that as I was sitting at the last home game. Maybe we should just remove the benches from the student section altogether? Couldn't we squeeze twice as many students in if we did that?

Top Bottom