Ahanmisi and Hollins

gopherfan3

Reaction score
Well its apparent now that Tubby is going to go with Mav to pick up a bunch of Devoes minutes. Let me say that I was actually impressed by his performance tonight. It was only 6 pts (2-4 from 3 and a decent looking shot when he pulls the trigger) but i dont expect him to put up numbers like Joseph. I was more pleased by the way he stayed under control and played within himself. I think he will be fine.

I am starting to worry about Hollins a bit though. At times he looks really lost and it just doesn't look like he has any confidence in his shot!! He also doesn't have the handles to take a man off the dribble, which makes it rough. He may realize this as he's looking to dish the ball as soon as he gets it. I'm not questioning his effort but he just isn't performing well right now.

GO GOPHERS

Maverick played well tonight and deserved the minutes he got, but I think we're going to see a different guy each game who seems to get a boost in minutes depending on how they are playing. Maybe next game it'll be Chip or Hollins.

Liked what Mav showed tonight, haven't seen enough of him to know how consistent that three point shot will be though. Although Austin isn't playing lights out now, still think he's a pretty solid defender who can more consistently make a jumper compared to Rodney who will help us down the road, just maybe not this year (obviously Rodney deserves some more PT after that impressive 2nd half tonight) And, I still think Chip deserves some more minutes. He didn't do too much tonight, but he always seems to be active and ready to make something happen.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mav's performance last night. Tubby has said from the beginning of the year that all Mav has done is what is asked of him. Of course, he will never match Devoe's point production, but if he plays solid and give Al a spell for 12-16 minutes a game, he will be making a huge contribution. If he can hit the unrushed open jumper that is a major bonus. One caveat on last night, though, is that Mav was competing against what are probably the worst set of guards in the Big Ten. Jones is a legit Big Ten player, but most of the others were both small and slow.

Hollins is a nice player and will get better with more PT. I don't know the details of defense well enough to know how well he is playing at that end of the court. I don't see him get burned in an obvious way very often. I think he is a guy who simply has to shoot when he is open in the context of the ofense and see what happens. Perhaps the new minutes available actually take some of the pressure off and allow him to play a little more freely. As Tubby said last night, he needs to get stronger, but he is also not going to make a lot of mental mistakes. That is valuable.

Hate to hate, but.....

Mav may be the slowest guard I've ever seen play meaningful minutes in a Gopher uniform. This is not a rip on his hustle, but he is not gifted with foot speed. On one play last night there was a turnover (by Hollins) and a throw-ahead and Mav turned and ran and was beaten badly downcourt by the Hoosier who was dribbling the ball. Hollins also caugh Mav (who had about a 10 yard lead) and ended up forcing the IU player to miss the layup. Unfortunately, you can't teach speed or quickness.

Mav may be the slowest guard I've ever seen play meaningful minutes in a Gopher uniform. This is not a rip on his hustle, but he is not gifted with foot speed. On one play last night there was a turnover (by Hollins) and a throw-ahead and Mav turned and ran and was beaten badly downcourt by the Hoosier who was dribbling the ball. Hollins also caugh Mav (who had about a 10 yard lead) and ended up forcing the IU player to miss the layup. Unfortunately, you can't teach speed or quickness.

Mav looked okay shooting last night, there's no doubt. I can't say I'm any higher on him than I was at the beginning of the season, because the same issues (decision-making, athleticism, consistent shooting ability) appear to be cropping up. However, if he can play like he did last night consistently, he'll be able to keep the team in the game while Al gets a breather.

I think it's also easier for him when he is out there with the starters, rather than the other freshmen wing players. Tubby's substitution patterns have frustrated most of us in the past, but I liked last night when he brought Colt and Mav in once or twice to play with the other three starters. Gives Al a breather and playing with Hoff/Mbakwe likely takes some pressure off of Maverick.

Well its apparent now that Tubby is going to go with Mav to pick up a bunch of Devoes minutes. Let me say that I was actually impressed by his performance tonight. It was only 6 pts (2-4 from 3 and a decent looking shot when he pulls the trigger) but i dont expect him to put up numbers like Joseph. I was more pleased by the way he stayed under control and played within himself. I think he will be fine.

GO GOPHERS

I was told to take off my maroon and gold colored glasses for statements like this. I will say he is more under control than Rico Tucker was when he was a freshman. Way more court awareness. I don't expect huge minutes out of him but his minutes will increase as the season progesses.

Mav is going to have to step up, he may become the Travis Busch of this edition of the Gophers. Hollins should have been a red shirt. Lets hope one of these guys can learn and mature quickly.

outside shot

Anybody who can make an outside shot should see the floor. I think it helped they were playing zone as he seems to be someone with a decent basketball IQ but maybe not the athlete some are.

Am I the only one wishing that Bryant Allen had decided to play BB? Nothing against Mav, but it would be nice to have another option at PG and he seemed like he could handle it, given some PT.

Am I the only one wishing that Bryant Allen had decided to play BB? QUOTE]

Perhaps.. I think Mav is looks much better than Allen... and that says more about Allen than Mav..

Am I the only one wishing that Bryant Allen had decided to play BB? Nothing against Mav, but it would be nice to have another option at PG and he seemed like he could handle it, given some PT.

I think Allen transferred to play football somewhere else. Not 100% sure though.

Mav has been decent compared to some expectations but he really just doesn't have a very high ceiling with that kind of athletic ability and quickness. A lot of the time he can't even get near the 3 point line if the defender is quick and plays him close. He has decent dribbling and shooting ability but I can't really ever see him driving or creating his own shot very well to be honest.

Top Bottom