Fire Tubby?

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
No. But think about it...he has taken a below average college basketball program and elevated it to just ok. There has been constant player defections and few REGULAR SEASON wins against elite conference teams. Recruiting has improved but Tubby has missed on some players too. His substitution pattern seems to frustrate fans and players alike. He has also taken a very talented squad this season and made them look quite pedestrian. Who is going to be the go to guy next season? Who is going to run the point? Are the Gophers even going to finish .500 in league play this season? This performance versus IND in difficult to swallow.

No. But think about it...he has taken a below average college basketball program and elevated it to just ok. There has been constant player defections and few REGULAR SEASON wins against elite conference teams. Recruiting has improved but Tubby has missed on some players too. His substitution pattern seems to frustrate fans and players alike. He has also taken a very talented squad this season and made them look quite pedestrian. Who is going to be the go to guy next season? Who is going to run the point? Are the Gophers even going to finish .500 in league play this season? This performance versus IND in difficult to swallow.

Maybe you are biting off more than you can chew. Let's stick with "This performance versus IND is difficult to swallow".

Sure Y Not?

None of your points make a lick of sense.

We've only lost 3 games this year correct?

Just checking.

Think about where our basketball program was before Tubby. I feel that we are mad that Tubby has not brought us to greatness, but firing him will not bring us to greatness. Minnesota needs to establish itself as a decent to quality team for a few more years AND break ground on a practice facility before it can expect to get another quality coach IMO. At the very least we need to let Tubby play out his contract and avoid another buyout.

While I don't always agree with Tubby's strategies, firing him is ridiculous. He's a great coach. He may not win a NC here at the U, but I'll take quality, consistency, and discipline. Tubby is excellent at all three of these. Beyond this, he seems like an excellent man. We are all frustrated as fans as to where this season and the last one headed. But let's not get over ourselves. Tubby is a great coach, and I'm proud as a fan of the U and as a U alum that he represents our school on the basketball court.

Let's fire Tubby like we did Mason and go back to a Monson like regime. Not interested.

I'm fine with being a top 25 team. You don't like how Tubby does it, go get some scumbag like Pitino. He'll rock our socks for 3 years before the death penalty sets in...

Some people don't know good coaching when they see it. See Tubby's first year with the exact same team Monson won 7 games with...

The OP is so insanely ridiculous that words escape me. Wow....just wow.

Absurd thread. Yeah, that headline would make sense to folks around the country.

'#21st ranked Minnesota fired head coach Tubby Smith today. The Gophers, 12-3, had lost two of their first 3 Big 10 games and recently had a player transfer. These transgressions were too much to overlook for the Gophers rabid fan base.

Though Smith has led the Gophers to 20 wins in his first three seasons after taking over a 9-22 team, including back-to-back NCAA tournaments and his current squad had been ranked in the top 25 most of the season, it just wasn't enough. Fans had expectations of Big 10 titles, as evidenced by the 3 the school has won in the last 50 years. When it started to look like none was forthcoming in year 4, time had run out.

Though every previous coach in the last 35 years has been fired or left under scandal, Smith found the bar was set far higher then he thought at Minnesota. In the end, his National Title at Kentucky and turnaround successes at Tulsa, Georgia and even Minnesota itself were not enough to save him.

Athletic Director Joel Maturi has pledged to find 'another Tubby Smith, only better. Really, I mean it this time.' Favorites to succeed him are Washington Wizzards coach Flip Saunders and Colorado State coach Tim Miles.'

Yeah. I want to read that story in the paper tomorrow.:cool02:

Athletic Director Joel Maturi has pledged to find 'another Tubby Smith, only better. Really, I mean it this time.' Favorites to succeed him are Washington Wizzards coach Flip Saunders and Colorado State coach Tim Miles.'

Would Dave Mona have a say?

Absurd thread. Yeah, that headline would make sense to folks around the country.

'#21st ranked Minnesota fired head coach Tubby Smith today. The Gophers, 12-3, had lost two of their first 3 Big 10 games and recently had a player transfer. These transgressions were too much to overlook for the Gophers rabid fan base.

Though Smith has led the Gophers to 20 wins in his first three seasons after taking over a 9-22 team, including back-to-back NCAA tournaments and his current squad had been ranked in the top 25 most of the season, it just wasn't enough. Fans had expectations of Big 10 titles, as evidenced by the 3 the school has won in the last 50 years. When it started to look like none was forthcoming in year 4, time had run out.

Though every previous coach in the last 35 years has been fired or left under scandal, Smith found the bar was set far higher then he thought at Minnesota. In the end, his National Title at Kentucky and turnaround successes at Tulsa, Georgia and even Minnesota itself were not enough to save him.

Well said. Hilarious.

-Smith has lost Royce White, Devoe Joseph and Justin Cobbs in the last year
-Most would call Rodney Williams a bust thus far
-Ralph Sampson III has not played like the player we all thought he was going to be and neither has Colton Iverson (both Tubby recruits)
-The team's top two players (Hoffarber and Nolen) were not recruited by Smith
-He is 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament
-ZERO four star recruits were signed this season
-He hasn't finished above .500 in three seasons at the helm (Conference play)
-Offensive strategy: Pass around the perimeter until a guard takes a contested shot and hope for an offensive rebound
-Lost to Michigan last season...TWICE!!!
-He has pissed off many fans with his bizzare substitution patterns
-But he's a great guy :cool02:

-Ralph Sampson III has not played like the player we all thought he was going to be and neither has Colton Iverson (both Tubby recruits)
-Offensive strategy: Pass around the perimeter until a guard takes a contested shot and hope for an offensive rebound

Royce White lost himself with off-the-court activities.

Two ESPN 4 Star recruits were signed - Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman.

Are you high or just plain stupid? Really? Please go back to the Pig Farmer board because if you really are a Gopher fan you're a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing disgrace...

Are you high or just plain stupid? Really? Please go back to the Pig Farmer board because if you really are a Gopher fan you're a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing disgrace...

Argue, don't insult (it makes you look more intelligent)
I'd love to see you attempt to refute my points

This board is trash. When did this turn into the strib comment section?

1. True. Devoe I am sort of sad about losing, the other two, meh, weren't going to amount to anything here.
2. BS. Inconsistent, maybe, halfway through his sophomore year...did you watch the 2nd half tonight?
3. Fair point, the big men frustrate me also.
4. Mbakwe is pretty good. They are also the two seniors......
5. True. What was Monson's NCAA tourney record his last few years?
6. Andre Hollins is flying up the rankings and will easily end up as a 4 star; we also got the best MN kid, something we haven't done in the past, it happens to be a down year overall for MN high school
7. True, and hopefully we finish above .500 this year
8. Sometimes gets bogged down - if point 3 was fixed our offense would look MUCH better
9. It happens, let's see if they beat us this year
10. I don't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# what fans think - results matter to me.
11. He does seem like a great guy (I am not a "friend" of him or know him personally; I met him only once and he was very nice)

1. Name a program in the Big Ten that hasn't lost a good player because he was in trouble with the law/a jackass over the last 5 years or didn't like the situation.
MSU-Chris Allen, Michigan-Lucas Perry, Wisconsin-Diamond Taylor, Iowa-Half the team, Illinois-Alex Legion, etc. And that is just off the top of my head!
2. Bust? Rodney was ranked #100 in the final Rivals rankings. Looks quite a bit better than plenty guys ahead of him on that list and he looked solid in the second half tonight.
3. So, does Monson get credit or does Tubby get credit for helping them turn into good players? As much as I love Al, Mbakwe is the best player.
4. True, but he has made the tourney. Ask an Illinois fan what matters more.
5. See your first point, Devoe is gone as is Westbrook.
6. There are worse things.
7. Name a coach in the country that doesn't piss off fans.

You did get him on the whole losing to Michigan thing last year, well done.

wooooow...can't believe someone is even saying this. i'm actually impresses with the recruits that tubby has brought in despite not having all the new toys to show off like other top programs in the nation when recruiting. this is year four and we are coming off back to back tourney appearances and three consecutive 20 win seasons. look at what tubby took over and look at what brewster took over in football with facilities and compare who had the better four year run. hint: it's a pretty easy conclusion to reach! we have one of the best coaches in the nation and some people are not satisfied! look, i didn't think we played lights out tonight either, but you know what? we are still only a three loss team and are well on our way to another 20 victory season and we have a lot of season left to play yet so don't be getting your undies in a bundle quite yet people.

Anybody who thinks the Gophers should sincerely consider firing Tubby are idiots and are overreacting to a tough point in the season. I'm very upset that Devoe left. I liked his game. We're definitely worse off for not having him here. And Tubby's made some gameplanning mistakes, and his offense and defense aren't always spectacular. But seriously. Does anybody trust Maturi to get a better coach than Tubby? We're in the top 25 for goodness sake. Howeda was absolutely right on.

No way MN should fire Tubby. No way. He is a class act and eventually will bring a Big ten contender to MN. However....some very valid points are made here which nobody can dispute. If MN finishes at or below .500 this season, it will be the 4th .500 or below seasons under Tubby. Tubby has not recruited a definitive pg since he has been here. Always trying to fit somenoe into the position or settle for a player like Maverick. I think, if everyone was honest, that nobody thought we would be in this position after this long when Tubby was hired.

Let me just offer something that defend Tubby because we made the big dance a couple of years. Usually 7 teams make it from the Big Ten. Having a hall of fame coach, making the NCAA tourney should be a minimum expectation after 4 years. In fact, winning a game or two in tha tourney should be a minimum expectation.

Stick with Tubby. He will be good for the program in the long run. That doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with how it has gone so far.

The answer is no. Nothing too profound, but I read the following message on a different message board this morning and thought the person nailed it.

Also, if Royce White hadn't self destructed, I think we would have had that go to guy and all would be good. Keep looking Tubby. I am willing to be patient with coach type #1.

I'll preface this by saying I think Bobby Knight was one of the greatest coaches ever. People said the game passed him by, but I think kids just got a whole lot more spoiled than they were in the 70's and 80's.

The "old school" coaches who really know basketball as a TEAM sport probably are having trouble with today's "ME-ME-ME" attitude. For example, witness Roy Williams' struggle to get All Americans to PLAY like All Americans as part of a team concept. I don't know Minnesota basketball or Devoe Joseph. Still, this young man CHOSE Minnesota and Tubby Smith. Did he not know that Tubby expects certain things from his players? Does he not understand that doing those things will make him a better player? I guess there are Tubby Smith detractors out there, but I know plenty of people in the basketball world who think he's a whale of a coach.

You have three kinds of coaches in the college ranks:
(1) There are those like Tubby Smith who try to do things the right way and KNOW more than any 20-year old can possibly know about basketball. They are the educators, and they are a rare breed in the game today. They have principles and they are stubborn defenders of doing things the right way.
(2) There are the other kind of coaches who look for success through all-out recruiting, and are willing to do anything to win, and who are primarily concerned with their own records and financial successes. They are the problem. If you can't play for Tubby Smith, you should find one of these guys, who will either have you taking lots of shots, or, if you aren't good enough, getting out of the way so one of your teammates can. You'll probably get deep into the NCAA tournament, but in most cases you'll run into a team with a coach from "Group 1" above, and then you'll be going home to watch the rest of the tournament.
(3) Then you have all the other poor schmucks who are just trying to make a name for themselves, trying to decide which path to follow. Based on what we see going on in college football and basketball, I'm betting most of the schmucks have decided life in group 2 will be easier than life in group 1. That's why cheating is rampant in college basketball, and why the NBA has turned into a freak show of spoiled, prima donna athletes who don't have a clue about what made Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan great.

MaroonGopher.....You want to fire a coach who has brought this program to the #21 team in the nation? Are you nuts? You, my friend, are a moron. The year before Tubby took over we lost 3 straight games- to Marist, Southern Illinois, and Montana. We went 2-7 against non-BCS schools the year before Tubby was hired.

MaroonGopher.....You want to fire a coach who has brought this program to the #21 team in the nation? Are you nuts? You, my friend, are a moron. The year before Tubby took over we lost 3 straight games- to Marist, Southern Illinois, and Montana. We went 2-7 against non-BCS schools the year before Tubby was hired.

To be fair, Brewster had the football team ranked higher than #21 in the middle of a season too. It is where you are at the end of the year, not the middle of the year that counts. Also, Monson took over a real mess from Clem too. Worse than what he left Tubby.

We are fine with Tubby, but I think it is also fine to be disappointed in where we are after almost 4 years.

Top Bottom